Skins Depth Chart

YoungBuck

Reaction score
apickmans said:
actually i think we have good depth at the RB, WR, DL, TE, LB, and CB position.

you don't even have good starters at some of those positions.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Depth. What a funny topic.

Tell me about the Cowboys depth.

Depth is a luxury in today's NFL. Most teams have very little depth across the board. Take a look around.

Commanders have as much depth as the next team.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
apickmans said:
really? Which ones?

I'll just start with DE.

Daniels had a pretty good season with 8 sacks, but mane foreskin fans are acting like Andre Carter is the next great pass rushing DE. Hugely overrated.

He has one season with 12.5 sacks, then the next few seasons he had 6.5, 2, and 4.5 sacks.

Daniels is also widely inconsistant. 6 sacks, then 9, then 5.5, then 2.5, then 1, then 8.

I'm not too scared of the foreskin pass rush.

tenken627

Reaction score
youngbuck said:
I'll just start with DE.

Daniels had a pretty good season with 8 sacks, but mane foreskin fans are acting like Andre Carter is the next great pass rushing DE. Hugely overrated.

He has one season with 12.5 sacks, then the next few seasons he had 6.5, 2, and 4.5 sacks.

Daniels is also widely inconsistant. 6 sacks, then 9, then 5.5, then 2.5, then 1, then 8.

I'm not too scared of the foreskin pass rush.

The Commanders defense shutdown the cowboys last year with pretty much that same pass rush.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
redskins1 said:
PLEASE....dont worry about our backups...starters on starters Commanders win...get ready its coming!!!

Spoken like a true Skins fan, that is, as a football fan who's pretty much clueless...

You guys got REAL lucky when it came to injuries last year, so you didn't need much depth... but iit appears you've forgotten how completely impotent the Skins' offense became when the offensive line finally suffered some injuries at the end of the season...

The way your team is currently constituted, you're screwed if you suffer even a "normal" number of injuries... but you Skins fans apparently think that seasons like last year are the way it will be year in and year out... well, this ol' Bear has been following football for 46 years now, and I can tell you that seasons like last year don't come along very often, for any team...

Not to wish disaster on you, but it would be freakin' funny to watch what happened if any Skins' starting offensive lineman suffered a season-ending injury in preseason, like Jon Jansen did two years ago... you guys would find out REAL quick the folly of ignoring the depth on your team, so that you can go out and buy a few expensive free agents and basically ignore the draft...

The Skins are committing a serious tactical error by blowing off the draft the way they have the last 2 years, and the lack of depth they now face is one consequence of that... since Gibbs has taken over, the Skins have had a total of 10 draft picks (14 would be "normal", and the Boys had 16 in that time)... of those 10 picks, 7 are still with the team... three are starters (Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley and Carlos Rogers), the other four really haven't had much of an impact on the team (Jason Campbell, Manuel White, Robert McCune and Jim Molinaro)... those 4 have combined for 19 games played, with zero starts...

For comparison, the Boys have had 16 picks in those 2 years, 14 of whom are still with the team, 4 of whom are starters... among the regular contributors are DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Kevin Burnett, Marion Barber, Chris Canty, Rob Petitti, Jay Ratliff, Julius Jones, Patrick Caryton, Jacques Reeves and Nathan Jones... that's a dozen contributors via the draft, compared to three for the Skins (4 if Campbell ever does get some playing time)...

Free agents COST more than draft picks do, leaving less cap room to build quality depth...

NOTE-- obviously, I have not factored in the draft picks from this year's draft, simply because none of us knows yet how any of them are gonna pan out... I'm just talking about the draft picks who have had a chance to earn playing time, i.e., the picks from the 04 and 05 drafts...

silverbear

Reaction score
apickmans said:
actually i think we have good depth at the RB, WR, DL, TE, LB, and CB position.

At linebacker, your backups are Robert McCune (1 year in the league, 5 games played, 0 starts), special teamer Khary Campbell (4 years in the league, 37 games played, 0 starts) and Chris Clemons (3 years in the league, 20 games played, 1 start)...

So, your top 3 backups have combined to start ONE game in the NFL... LOL...

At cornerback, you guys go 3 deep with Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs and Kenny Wright (perhaps your best backup at any position on the team, IMO)... but after that, you're down to Ade Jimoh (3 years in the NFL, 47 games played, 0 starts), Dimitri Patterson (1 year in the NFL, 3 games played, 0 starts) and Christian Morton (2 years in the NFL, 7 games played, 1 start)...

At TE, you've got Chris Cooley, and not much else... Christian Fauria will be 35in September, and has had all of 24 catches in his last 32 games... once upon a time, he was one of the league's better blocking TEs, but that was a while back... Robert Johnson is a big blocking TE, who has played in all of 3 NFL games in 3 years, with all of one career reception... Calen Powell is an undrafted rookie free agent... clearly, if Cooley were to get hurt, the Skins would be subpar at TE...

If that's what you call "good" depth, well, let's just say that you and I have rather different definitions of that phrase... you guys do seem to be pretty set at RB and WR, and to a lesser extent, on your DL...

superpunk

Reaction score
tenken627 said:
The Commanders defense shutdown the cowboys last year with pretty much that same pass rush.

How very, very relevant.

s6693.jpg
<<<This guy doesn't play for us anymore. Just in case you were wondering.

silverbear

Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life said:
So at DL, TE, and CB are all not servicable for us? even though at each of those positions we have players that started on thier respective teams last year?

The only new DL you have is Andre Carter, and he will NOT be a backup for the Skins... he'll be the starter at DE... at TE, Fauria started 10 of 16 games for the Pats, but did not start the other 6... and his numbers were laughable for the Pats last year-- 8 catches, for 57 yards...

Now, Kenny Wright will be a backup, and he WAS a starter for the Jags last year... unfortunately for the Skins, after him the best they have is Ade Jimoh, who is dreck...

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Depth. What a funny topic.

Tell me about the Cowboys depth.

There are a number of positions where the Boys are VERY deep... almost all of them are defensive positions-- DL, LB, DB and TE...

Commanders have as much depth as the next team.

No, they don't... the reason for that is their free-spending approach to free agency, and relatively little help from the 04 and 05 drafts...

lspain1

Reaction score
I don't follow the skins closely, even though I find the Snyder FA and coaching approach to building a winner interesting. However, it sees to me that the most important depth question for the skins is at QB. Will Brunell make through this season and what happens if he falters? The Cowboys face a similar dilemma with Bledsoe (even though his durability is unquestioned) and thus the emphasis on Romo for the pre-season.

silverbear

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
I don't follow the skins closely, even though I find the Snyder FA and coaching approach to building a winner interesting. However, it sees to me that the most important depth question for the skins is at QB. Will Brunell make through this season and what happens if he falters? The Cowboys face a similar dilemma with Bledsoe (even though his durability is unquestioned) and thus the emphasis on Romo for the pre-season.

There's two good points there-- first, the Skins have problems if Brunell goes down... Jason Campbell is the future, or so they hope, but word is if the season started tomorrow, Todd Collins would be the backup, not Campbell... apparently Jason is struggling some with Al Saunders' admittedly complicated offense...

The second good point is that the Boys are in more or less the same boat... the difference is that Bledsoe has proven to be a bit more durable in recent years than Brunell has... he's played all 64 games over the last 4 seasons, Mark has played in 43 over the same time...

But if Drew goes down, you know all us Cowboys fans are gonna be real nervous, praying that Tony Romo can get the job done... just like Skins fans will be if Brunell gets hurt...

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Spoken like a true Skins fan, that is, as a football fan who's pretty much clueless...

You guys got REAL lucky when it came to injuries last year, so you didn't need much depth... but iit appears you've forgotten how completely impotent the Skins' offense became when the offensive line finally suffered some injuries at the end of the season...

The way your team is currently constituted, you're screwed if you suffer even a "normal" number of injuries... but you Skins fans apparently think that seasons like last year are the way it will be year in and year out... well, this ol' Bear has been following football for 46 years now, and I can tell you that seasons like last year don't come along very often, for any team...

Not to wish disaster on you, but it would be freakin' funny to watch what happened if any Skins' starting offensive lineman suffered a season-ending injury in preseason, like Jon Jansen did two years ago... you guys would find out REAL quick the folly of ignoring the depth on your team, so that you can go out and buy a few expensive free agents and basically ignore the draft...

The Skins are committing a serious tactical error by blowing off the draft the way they have the last 2 years, and the lack of depth they now face is one consequence of that... since Gibbs has taken over, the Skins have had a total of 10 draft picks (14 would be "normal", and the Boys had 16 in that time)... of those 10 picks, 7 are still with the team... three are starters (Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley and Carlos Rogers), the other four really haven't had much of an impact on the team (Jason Campbell, Manuel White, Robert McCune and Jim Molinaro)... those 4 have combined for 19 games played, with zero starts...

For comparison, the Boys have had 16 picks in those 2 years, 14 of whom are still with the team, 4 of whom are starters... among the regular contributors are DeMarcus Ware, Marcus Spears, Kevin Burnett, Marion Barber, Chris Canty, Rob Petitti, Jay Ratliff, Julius Jones, Patrick Caryton, Jacques Reeves and Nathan Jones... that's a dozen contributors via the draft, compared to three for the Skins (4 if Campbell ever does get some playing time)...

Free agents COST more than draft picks do, leaving less cap room to build quality depth...

NOTE-- obviously, I have not factored in the draft picks from this year's draft, simply because none of us knows yet how any of them are gonna pan out... I'm just talking about the draft picks who have had a chance to earn playing time, i.e., the picks from the 04 and 05 drafts...

all great points, but, i'm gonna take joe gibbs methods over silverbears.

edit- doug williams and timmy smith were no name backups- at key positions, no less. they did pretty well when the starters went down.

Gfunk

Reaction score
ya'll are still trying to find a starting 5 when we've had all 5 in place

where do you get off calling out our depth, let alone our o-line?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Gfunk said:

You've got to love the [lack of] logic in posts like these.

So bec. our OL isn't great, it somehow takes away from the post/leaves us with no credibility concerning your lack of depth?

Laughable.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by your posts/what you say anymore. I should just be astonished with the fact that you know how to work a computer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gfunk said:

Out of morbid curiosity I ask this.

A couple of years ago when Jansen went down for the season, did the depth of your OL matter then? Or were you still praising the strength of your starting 5?

Be honest. If you can.

1fisher

Reaction score
tenken627 said:

yea, and I believe that was the second game with a rookie and a BACK-up playing at the tackle position? Correct?

Gfunk

Reaction score
Vintage said:
You've got to love the [lack of] logic in posts like these.

So bec. our OL isn't great, it somehow takes away from the post/leaves us with no credibility concerning your lack of depth?

Laughable.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by your posts/what you say anymore. I should just be astonished with the fact that you know how to work a computer.
how sad, you felt the need to dip down low to personal insults...

it's like a virgin calling me out for the girl I'm dating... you haven't even tapped one girl, and you're calling me out?