Skins hire Al Saunders as new Offensive Coordinator

Double

Reaction score
Fan21 said:
Some of you guys are either in denial or a little slow.

The Skins have a ton of talent on offense. All that they needed this year was a modernized scheme with some more offensive brains and they would have beaten the Seahawks.

There aren't many better 1-2-3 punches in the league than Portis-Cooley-Moss. Now that I think about it, there are none! Add one playmaker, some depth on the O-line, and an offensive guru to the mix and the Skins will be a Super Bowl contender next year. The Skins signed the hottest offensive and defensive coordinators on the market this year. Basically, they have 3 head coaches on the sideline.

Real football fans know that all of this is the TRUTH!

Hahahahaha... he didnt say Cooley. Didnt he disappear back to Utah after the Dallas game. There is no way the deadskins return to the playoffs.

Fan21

Benched
Reaction score
Haven't heard of Chris Cooley...let me remind you -

December 18, 2005
6 catches
71 yards
3 TD

maxsports

Reaction score
Pressure Mark Brunell and they have no game plan. They will look no different, just a year older.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
Saunders is an excellent OC. This is a very good sign for the Skinz.
I agree.

I guess my question is whether he's bringing KC's offense w/him or is he going to use Gibbs offense and just put his playcalling spin on it.

If nothing else if he brings a lil bit of KC's offense, it will definitely spice it up.

Double

Reaction score
Fan21 said:
Haven't heard of Chris Cooley...let me remind you -

December 18, 2005
6 catches
71 yards
3 TD

I know right...... He is only a one game wonder. Now give me another name for the legendary deadskins 1-2-3 punch because Cooley is special teams material.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Fan21 said:

The Skins have a ton of talent on offense. All that they needed this year was a modernized scheme with some more offensive brains and they would have beaten the Seahawks.

There aren't many better 1-2-3 punches in the league than Portis-Cooley-Moss. Now that I think about it, there are none! Add one playmaker, some depth on the O-line, and an offensive guru to the mix and the Skins will be a Super Bowl contender next year. The Skins signed the hottest offensive and defensive coordinators on the market this year. Basically, they have 3 head coaches on the sideline.

Gibbs is an offensive minded coach. So I take it you think he sucks?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
maxsports said:
I think we beat Kansas City this year with Al Saunders!!!!! Bring it on Commanders!

They also abused our defense with that system. Carry on, however.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Fan21 said:

Oh you're right. OMG it's the end of the world for the Cowboys!!!! We might as well concede our games against the deadskins right now & not even bother to play them. Al Saunders is coming to town. We'll never win a game against the skins again! Ever!

Feel better?

Sounds to me more like Joe ain't the "offensive genius who can work with any QB" that was being shoveled out the past couple of years.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
I'm not happy about this move, as I think highly of Saunders. It also helps that he comes from the same coaching "tree" slash offensive style as Gibbs and should be able to fit right in with the program.

I don't like it at all. I've got to hand it to Snyder, who I hate with a passion, for making some good moves the last couple years especially in regards to coaching.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Bach said:
Gibbs is an offensive minded coach. So I take it you think he sucks?

What I think (and hope) he takes it as is Gibbs has an excellent "base" system

My analogy is you have a computer, and you just upgraded the processor from a Pentium 3 to a Pentium 5

Same motherboard, same circuits, same drivers, just added some juice to it, which really is not a bad thing, because every fool (except for the Cowboys on December 18th) knew what plays the Commanders were going to run when

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
Good hire for the Skins, but all this doom and gloom from Cowboy fans is silly.

If we don't counter with some pepper ourselves, I think it is far from silly. We are now a step behind on offense as well as defense.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Who becomes the head coach when Gibbs retires? Washington now had the best coaching staff in football period. I think Synder made the right move. He gave Gibbs the best two assistants and paid Greg Williams to stay. I still would like to see what happens when Gibbs retires though.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Who becomes the head coach when Gibbs retires? Washington now had the best coaching staff in football period. I think Synder made the right move. He gave Gibbs the best two assistants and paid Greg Williams to stay. I still would like to see what happens when Gibbs retires though.

More then likely Gregg Williams does. He is younger and has the potential to stay a HC longer

Saunders is almost 60. Most teams do not hire first time head coaches at age 60 (well he did coach 2 years in San Diego, but those were mediocre at best)

Saunders may be like Jimmy Johnson in Philly, a career assistant

RedskinNation

Reaction score
I wonder if LJ would come with him???? j/k.

Honestly though.....KC's offense is like Denver's....they make anyone look good. Priest dominated for a few years...and Blaylock did last year when Priest was out...then LJ did this year. KC's o-line was dominant...but the Commanders O-line is no slouch as long as Thomas can get back to full strength.

The Al Saunders offense isnt drastically different from Gibbs (they both coached togethere in SD). It is modernized though im sure and Saunders system is proven to make any RB look good. Look at Priest before he came to KC??? He did null in Bmore...I think Portis' game can be raised another level.

GW becomes the next head coach (in 2007 - i believe Gibbs will step down next year)...then almost everything will be intact....Offense - Saunders and GW will keep defense controls....Saunders is too old to become a head coach IMHO. He could have had Buffalo or Oakland if he wanted to be a HC this season.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Alexander said:
If we don't counter with some pepper ourselves, I think it is far from silly. We are now a step behind on offense as well as defense.

That's what everyone thought when Marvin Lewis was hired as the Skins DC.

Nothing against Lewis or any other assistant/coordinater. But those guys aren't as far ahead of the other assistant coaches/coordinaters in this league as the media portrays.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

Nothing against Lewis or any other assistant/coordinater. But those guys aren't as far ahead of the other assistant coaches in this league as the media portrays.

Good point. And ultimatley talent makes coaches look real good

Gregg Williams even said "I am a better coach with Coneilies Griffin playing"

Will the Commanders be able to make the moves needed and do some salary cap magic? We will see soon enough

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Be very excited. Imagine your offense suddenly as powerful as the Chiefs are now...

Uh, okay.

The Chiefs only had one of the best O-Lines I've ever seen, Larry Johnson AND Priest Holmes, along with Trent Green and perhaps the greatest Tight End to have ever played the game.

Saunders is an excellent offensive mind, but it does take talent to be good as well.

Rich.........
Norv Turner was supposedly an offensive genius back in 1995

RedskinNation

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

Nothing against Lewis or any other assistant/coordinater. But those guys aren't as far ahead of the other assistant coaches in this league as the media portrays.

Everyone thought Spurrier was going to be the next Lombardi...look what happened....Lewis actually had more success with his unit than Spurrier did with the O.

Funny...cuz now Lewis' struggles in Cincy to keep up with their O.

Spurrier wasnt proven though....makes a big difference....he couldnt adapt and adjust to the NFL...Gibbs/Saunders has. I think it should be interesting.

Now the hype will be surrounding the Skins...this is the worst part...everytime we are hyped up by media and fans the season goes bad. Then when everyone thinks we will be terrible we do something positive.

Hopefully people will say the trifecta of GW/Gibbs/Saunders WONT work....reversing Karma. :D