Skins hire Al Saunders as new Offensive Coordinator

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Uh, okay.

The Chiefs only had one of the best O-Lines I've ever seen, Larry Johnson AND Priest Holmes, along with Trent Green and perhaps the greatest Tight End to have ever played the game.

Saunders is an excellent offensive mind, but it does take talent to be good as well.

Rich.........
Norv Turner was supposedly an offensive genius back in 1995

Coaches also can determine what talent they put on the field. It is not as black and white as implied.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Who becomes the head coach when Gibbs retires? Washington now had the best coaching staff in football period. I think Synder made the right move. He gave Gibbs the best two assistants and paid Greg Williams to stay. I still would like to see what happens when Gibbs retires though.

I'd be shocked if Gregg Williams isn't the next head coach for Washington. He's getting $2.7 million a year for 3 years, but has a clause that if he's still the D-Coordinator in year three, they'll pay him an extra $1 million.

By the sounds of it, Gibbs will probably be around for the next two years and then Williams will be his incumbent.

Rich........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Coaches also can determine what talent they put on the field. It is not as black and white as implied.

I'd like to think that Jimmy and Jerry had a lion's share of the say when it came to who was be acquired/drafted and who would get playing time. But, call me crazy on that one.

Rich..........

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
If we don't counter with some pepper ourselves, I think it is far from silly. We are now a step behind on offense as well as defense.
And coaching philosophy apprently.

RedskinNation

Reaction score
I would bet that Gibbs will stick around for 2006 and then step down. Its all set up that way. I know he signed a 5 yr deal...I think it will be a 3 & out.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:
Good point. And ultimatley talent makes coaches look real good

Gregg Williams even said "I am a better coach with Coneilies Griffin playing"

Will the Commanders be able to make the moves needed and do some salary cap magic? We will see soon enough

No question. Norv Turner was "Wonderboy" in '92 and '93 with Emmitt, Troy and Irvin. A few years later he's just an ok coordinater for Waanstedt at Miami.

He didn't do anything different. The better players make you look like a better coach/coordinater than every other coordinater in the league.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Double said:
I know right...... He is only a one game wonder. Now give me another name for the legendary deadskins 1-2-3 punch because Cooley is special teams material.
Cooley is a great up-and-comer for the R*dskins... he was clearly the offensive MVP of the second half of their season. Did you see that catch and run of his in the Seattle game?

KINGGIBBS

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that some are putting their bias aside and showing their football intelligence instead. This is a great move by the 'Skins and there is no way anyone can deny it.

But, with that being said, I believe in taking a wait and see approach. Like someone said earlier. That's why they play the game.

TobiasEagle77

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
No question. Norv Turner was "Wonderboy" in '92 and '93 with Emmitt, Troy and Irvin. A few years later he's just an ok coordinater for Waanstedt at Miami.

He didn't do anything different. The better players make you look like a better coach/coordinater than every other coordinater in the league.
Norv had an amazing assortment of talent in those days though, much better than what Saunders has been working with IMO. Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin, Harper, Novacek (very under-rated), and a very good O-line. Compare that to Green, the assorted KC running backs, very mediocre WRs, Gonzalez (exceptional), and a very good O-line that Saunders has worked with.

Saunders could certainly turn out to be a "flop" like Norv, but I don't see it happening. First off, he's worked with less talent, and secondly, he will be asked to do less. Norv failed as a head coach, not as an OC. Saunders is making a horizontal move and will work under a coaching genious opposite a great/good defense.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
KINGGIBBS said:
I'm glad to see that some are putting their bias aside and showing their football intelligence instead. This is a great move by the 'Skins and there is no way anyone can deny it.

But, with that being said, I believe in taking a wait and see approach. Like someone said earlier. That's why they play the game.
I think you'll find more football intelligence here than you are likely to give us credit for. In other words, don't act so innocent of bias.

RoyWilliams

Reaction score
Norv is a great coordinator just not head coaching material. What I wonder about Saunder's is whether he'll modify the current system or but a whole new one in place?

Fan21

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
That's what everyone thought when Marvin Lewis was hired as the Skins DC.

Nothing against Lewis or any other assistant/coordinater. But those guys aren't as far ahead of the other assistant coaches/coordinaters in this league as the media portrays.

What are you talking about? Good coordinators make a huge difference...just ask NE. And the year Marvin Lewis took over, the Skins D jumped from number 26 to number 3!

dcjules

Reaction score
Give Gibbs credit for making the hire, he has always been the OC, regardless of Saunders role, it does add to the level of coaching they have....A great move, lets see how it works out.....

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
superpunk said:
I don't even understand how Gibbs can even be considered a head coach now. Hires two people under him who are more competent than himself. What does he do, exactly?:laugh2:

What exactly did Jimmy Johnson do with Wanstead and Turner?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I agree.

I guess my question is whether he's bringing KC's offense w/him or is he going to use Gibbs offense and just put his playcalling spin on it.

If nothing else if he brings a lil bit of KC's offense, it will definitely spice it up.

These two offenses aren't really very different. Unfortunatly, this is probably going to be a pretty good fit.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I don't even understand how Gibbs can even be considered a head coach now. Hires two people under him who are more competent than himself. What does he do, exactly?:laugh2:

well before this season he was the "offensive genius" But now that has faded and he hired Saunders to do his job I guess Gibbs is kind of like Ronald mcdonald he is the face of the franchise but in reality he has no actual worth other than to entertain the kiddies

superpunk

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan said:
What exactly did Jimmy Johnson do with Wanstead and Turner?

Won two super bowls. Created a dynasty. Any more questions?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
RedskinNation said:
Everyone thought Spurrier was going to be the next Lombardi...look what happened....Lewis actually had more success with his unit than Spurrier did with the O.

Funny...cuz now Lewis' struggles in Cincy to keep up with their O.

Spurrier wasnt proven though....makes a big difference....he couldnt adapt and adjust to the NFL...Gibbs/Saunders has. I think it should be interesting.

Now the hype will be surrounding the Skins...this is the worst part...everytime we are hyped up by media and fans the season goes bad. Then when everyone thinks we will be terrible we do something positive.

Hopefully people will say the trifecta of GW/Gibbs/Saunders WONT work....reversing Karma. :D

LOL!!!!!!!

If by everyone, you mean everyone outside of this board, then OK. Spurrier's offense was doomed the minute he took it to the NFL. An overwhelming majority of posters on this board new that. I don't look at Saunders in that light. I think Saunders is going to be formidable.