Video: Skip and Shannon on Byron Jones Eagles Reports

shabazz

Reaction score
The one takeaway from these guys that I agree with is, if your going to pay a defensive player top dollar, they better show sacks or turnovers. I don't believe anyone is taking his coverage abilities for granted, but does that alone command top dollar?

Creeper

Reaction score
Losing Jones to the Eagles would be a huge blow to Dallas, but what is going to make it much worse is if they do not solve the problems at DT either. If they lose Quinn, don't come up with an inside pass rush, and lose Jones, they are screwed. If they lose brown too, the Cowboys will have the worst defense in the NFC east.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy Aikman played when DB's could mug WR's.

Now the #1 priority is covering..

Why aren't any of these QB's taking Troy's advice and throwing at Byron all day? Ask yourself that.

Because the other cornerbacks offer even easier targets. That's not a new approach. Point of least resistance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Because the other cornerbacks offer even easier targets. That's not a new approach. Point of least resistance.

Next Gen stats said that he leads the league in Tight Window coverage since 2018.

I don't know how credible any of that is but hey it's something.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The one takeaway from these guys that I agree with is, if your going to pay a defensive player top dollar, they better show sacks or turnovers. I don't believe anyone is taking his coverage abilities for granted, but does that alone command top dollar?

Exactly.

You pay 'playmakers' those huge contracts, not 'good players'.

It's really telling when Eagles-lover/Cowboys-bashed Shannon Sharpe couldn't bring himself to outright praise the move of Byron Jones to the Eagles. Even he realizes that the return on investment would never be worth it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Next Gen stats said that he leads the league in Tight Window coverage since 2018.

I don't know how credible any of that is but hey it's something.

It most definitely is. He's a very good cover corner. But the complete absence of playing the ball cannot be discounted either. It is the one thing that prevents him from entering 'great' and 'playmaker' territory and being worth paying the top cornerback money in the league for.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It most definitely is. He's a very good cover corner. But the complete absence of playing the ball cannot be discounted either. It is the one thing that prevents him from entering 'great' and 'playmaker' territory and being worth paying the top cornerback money in the league for.

I just don't care too much..

I think Dallas DB's playing the ball poorly is far bigger then Byron Jones. This has gone on forever.

All I care about is knowing that when we play teams with great WR's and TE's that we have one of the best chess pieces in football to stop it.

Mike Nolan should improve the turnovers because he will actually scheme and attempt to confuse QB's.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Typical Dallas. Draft players that develop into All Pro's and then not manage the cap and let them walk.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I think I'm done with the Jones talk. Multiple people have continued to show how "INTs" are a terrible way to judge a DB alone, and it continues to be said.

Watch more football folks so you don't look stupid. Maybe you like looking that way. I don't know. Eagles get a major upgrade, we downgrade. No wonder they have a Super Bowl victory recently and all we got are disgusting photos of Jerry in a bathroom with strippers in our recent trophy case.

visionary

Reaction score
What are you talking about? The defense was good last year, and if they do it with less talent next year, its because of scheme. It's not backtracking, they had a ton of defensive talent last year and a **** scheme. Next year, they're going to try to go with a good scheme and less talent.

Simple. Good try, good effort.

So if they do better it’s scheme
If they do worse it’s because we let a “great player” like jones go

like I said people like you have ready excuses for every eventuality

:laugh:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think I'm done with the Jones talk. Multiple people have continued to show how "INTs" are a terrible way to judge a DB alone, and it continues to be said.

Watch more football folks so you don't look stupid. Maybe you like looking that way. I don't know. Eagles get a major upgrade, we downgrade. No wonder they have a Super Bowl victory recently and all we got are disgusting photos of Jerry in a bathroom with strippers in our recent trophy case.
Put up his stats when hes thrown at. Those numbers are not even close to elite. You are just a jag lover with romo posters spread all over your room

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So if they do better it’s scheme
If they do worse it’s because we let a “great player” like jones go

like I said people like you have ready excuses for every eventuality

:laugh:
How is it an excuse? It's exactly what they're trying to do.

Losing good players makes your team worse. That's how professional sports work. You're half an idiot so I don't expect you to get that simple conclusion, but go on with the snark.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, they gave Lawrence 21M, how did that work out? That's 4.2M per sack. He has averaged 6.5 sacks per year and is the highest paid 4/3 DE in the league.

The test will come when his replacement takes his place and we can compare plays given up vs picks. Not all picks are game changers but giving up a big play can be.

He's got DEN, OAK and PHL in the mix to add him so they must be OK with the lack of picks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just don't care too much..

I think Dallas DB's playing the ball poorly is far bigger then Byron Jones. This has gone on forever.

All I care about is knowing that when we play teams with great WR's and TE's that we have one of the best chess pieces in football to stop it.

Mike Nolan should improve the turnovers because he will actually scheme and attempt to confuse QB's.

I think the absence of Rod Marinelli will help the entire defense.

But non-playmakers don't suddenly change. And Byron Jones has shown throughout his entire football career that he is, sadly, a non-playmaker.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Corners with no interceptions and a 70-80 million dollar contract? Hmmm

The problem is you guys over value interceptions. They are a bonus.

Ramsey had 1 INT last year.

3 the year before..

It's just not that big of a deal in the big picture of things for an individual player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, they gave Lawrence 21M, how did that work out? That's 4.2M per sack. He has averaged 6.5 sacks per year and is the highest paid 4/3 DE in the league.

The test will come when his replacement takes his place and we can compare plays given up vs picks. Not all picks are game changers but giving up a big play can be.

He's got DEN, OAK and PHL in the mix to add him so they must be OK with the lack of picks.

DEN is already out on Jones. They traded for AJ Bouye.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Corners with no interceptions and a 70-80 million dollar contract? Hmmm
It's likely 1 of this 3 teams will do just that and be happy with no picks if he continues to show his cover skills.

Jones is the Cowboys best cover corner in that first 2-3 second critical part of a pass play which can give the DL more time but at least cause the QB to go to his next read and when he does allow the reception, he is a very good tackler and limits YAC.

But your point about the contract is fact. Can a team with what they already have committed to players and the QB and WR coming up do a contract like that? Jones is a casualty of what they did with the DE and RB. And neither earned their salary after signing those contracts.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I bet at his next stop, Byron Jones will have more than 1 interception his first season with his new team.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I think it is not only about losing Jones who is a dominant cover cornerback but how it also affects the other cornerback on the opposite side of the field. Anyone really thrilled about Chido having to compensate for the loss of Jones if that happens. At times Chido couldn't get out of his own way.