Twitter: Slater: Keep an eye on Trysten Hill at 58

Sydla

Reaction score
I like Ferguson better, too. He might not have the pure speed to be an outside rusher, but the hand use and strength he shows could make him effective on the inside. I really don't see the quick penetrating ability in Hill's game.

Of course, one of the issues I have with Ferguson is that he was often lazy in pursuit. He played hard when rushing the passer, but essentially jogged when the play was away from him. So laziness might be a problem with both of these players.

I can't say I'm necessarily against either pick, though, because you get some warts in the late second round. The question is whether you think the player can overcome those warts and live up to the potential that made him second-round worthy.

I like the DBs better at 58 because I think the depth there could push a quality player to us, but if that depth gets devoured quickly in today's round, I have no problem going DL with this pick.

I don't think Ferguson will get past the Eagles two picks right ahead of us.

Carson

Reaction score
I've said it already this morning, but it will be interesting if Samuel is there. i think whoever goes at 58, will have limited snaps this year. The staff can sometimes be hard headed with players. They love Heath, so I dont' see a rookie safety starting. WR - will be tough with Coop, Gallup, Cobb and austin above him.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The staff isn’t looking to replace a safety this year

blueblood70

Reaction score

there was mad feast in first round and the DT/DE bones were picked clean, id wait on guy like this until 4th round, time to grab what the Dl run left for use Safetys and a RB..that run on DL/DE left ton of good players fell to 2nd round..is there a safety , TE, or RB worth trading up for in 2nd round? top 10 2nd round is basically all first round talent that slipped..

CWR

Reaction score
Please dont draft a lazy player. Not familiar with him but poor work ethic is cancerous. Also like its been said Rod has questionable talent evaluation skills.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
he's a reach in the 2nd... they need to go with S, if any decent one's are left by 58. If not, then BAP

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yep. "Negatives: Work ethic and maturity". Same knocks on Taco

No one said that about Taco. It was the opposite, he was supposed to be a hard worker and quick learn. The knocks on Taco were that he only started his last season and lacked quickness and power.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Marinelli wanting a guy would actually make me never want to pick him. If thornhill or gardner are available at 58 and they pick this kid I will be highly upset.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Rod Marinelli wants him? I don’t care. What do the scouts think.

Rod Marinelli wanting him means nothing to me.

Yeah, that's the kind of guy Marinelli likes. But what has that gotten the Cowboys? He's using a 20-plus year old scheme that doesn't have the supporting players to make it work, if after this long teams haven't figured it out it wouldn't matter anyway.

And work ethic problems? That's about the biggest non-physical factor that you can have, other than a Gregory-type issue, don't care how big he is or how well he can play, if he doesn't apply himself he'll never be much good to the team...

texbumthelife

Reaction score
With so much of the best safety help still on the board it would make too much sense for this team to stay put, watch all the safeties be selected and then reach for this guy.

slick325

Reaction score
Wouldn't be upset at all with Hill at 58. Kid is athletic and has explosiveness. By midseason, he'll be better than Collins and Woods IMO.

Sydla

Reaction score
rumor was scouts and McClay wanted Watt over Taco. Rod wanted Taco.

Broaddus is claiming that McClay told him later that the report was wrong. That McClay was on board with taking Taco and that there wasn't this divide in the war room.

It could be spin after the fact, so who knows. I do recall that leading up to the draft, there were multiple reports that the scouts liked Watt and Marinelli quietly was telling the front office that he wasn't sure he could use him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't think Ferguson will get past the Eagles two picks right ahead of us.

The problem with picking at 58, of course, is that you are picking through the leftovers. Anyone you absolutely coveted is usually gone, so you're just trying to determine the best of the rest and hoping that the other teams somehow missed a gem. Since gems are missed every year, our hope has to be that McClay and his staff have been able to get us a guy who will prove that he should have been a first-rounder.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Broaddus is claiming that McClay told him later that the report was wrong. That McClay was on board with taking Taco and that there wasn't this divide in the war room.

It could be spin after the fact, so who knows. I do recall that leading up to the draft, there were multiple reports that the scouts liked Watt and Marinelli quietly was telling the front office that he wasn't sure he could use him.
something we will know for sure in a few years when someone writes a book...lol

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I keep hearing Hill too and that would be a huge disappointment for me.

This Front Office has done a solid job of improving their drafting, so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

However, this move reeks of our two of our biggest flaws IMO. One, it's this overreliance on what Marinelli thinks. Name the recent Cowboys prospects that Marinelli was gaga over that have panned out. This idea that he will simply get the best out of players is crazy. If true, he'd be the most coveted coach on football. If false, how many failures does he get before the Front Office stops tuning him out. He's a good position coach and not much else at this point in his career. Guys love him, here's a fact, there's a ton of players in the NFL who love their position coach. He's living off the success of having a bunch of former first round picks slash future Pro Bowlers.

Second, it's this Front Office's constant need to attempt to be clever. Every team has rules of which players you don't draft, especially higher in the draft. I would never spend an early pick on a guy who got benched his senior year. I can't think of a single player who was benched as a senior who then tuned around and had a stealer NFL career.UCF was playing for a national championship (unrealistically) last year. You think they would bench this super-talented kid out of spite?

Hill has some skill no doubt. Great size, quickness, speed-to-power in a hurry. I just wouldn't touch him until later in the draft.