Twitter: Slater: McCarthy hasn’t spoken to Dak yet

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The idea here is to use a cheap stop gap QB that is marginal to Dak. Keenum made 3.5 mil last season he would be happy with 6 mil.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/
Its the Trevor Lawrence I would take on a rookie contract and would be willing to sacrifce a season without Dak to build on this team they have right now.

tenor.gif

Kwyn

Reaction score
The idea here is to use a cheap stop gap QB that is marginal to Dak. Keenum made 3.5 mil last season he would be happy with 6 mil.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/
Its the Trevor Lawrence I would take on a rookie contract and would be willing to sacrifce a season without Dak to build on this team they have right now.
Keenum made 7.5m last year. Don’t forget Denver paid him to too. Commanders only had to pay half.

Starting QB’s get paid, no matter what team they are on unless they are on their rookie deal.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2019/

Pick our next stop gap QB

and also, how do you propose we get the #1 overall pick in 2021 so we can draft Lawrence?

what combination of picks and players would net a 1st overall?

Using a modern trade calculator it would take the 15th, 16th and 17th pick in this years draft to get the Bengals #1

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Dal

assuming we have the 17th pick again next year, where do we get #15 and #16? That’s three mid round first round picks to move up to get Lawrence. How is that possible? How many players on our current roster could we even trade for #15 or #16 this year? If so, would you package them and our #17 for the #1? Would the team hoping to also draft Lawrence even be willing to do that?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Dak is an employee. You have to staff up the board and managers first. No need to put a player on a pedestal.

ESisback

Reaction score
That's the business that Jane is in. When was the last time you heard her do an in depth piece on X's & O's or schemes, etc.? She gives us the back room gossip.

Worse, I’ll bet she acts offended when not taken as a “ serious journalist”!

blueblood70

Reaction score
But he doesn’t have to sign a team friendly deal.

he’s been underpaid every year in the league, why would he shortchange himself now?

the bottom line is that every big QB contract sets a new bar. It’s a waste of time to argue against it. Might as well get mad when it rains.

Cowboys only option other than sign him for the 32-33m it will take for a long term deal is to franchise him next year, and the year after, and pray like hell for some kind of 4th round miracle to happen a second time. Lightning striking twice and all

oh, and while we franchise him, expect for him to be unhappy and not report to camp each year because that’s what happens when you tell your starting QB that you don’t think they’re worth market price and franchise them.
why are you arguing something that hasn't happened yet, seems like waste of time.. we are debating how much we think hes worth and what he might get and NO if that were true and every new deal by a QB or other players makes the new one get more, might want to rethink that..

that mean ALL QBs get big dollars, thats not true there are 16-20 qbs under 20 , starters.. lets reword this Elite QNBs will get a new market setting deal , most anyway but last season Brady and Brees played under 25..Daks worth more then them? Daks closer to a Foles type just because the rams and eagles overpaid does NOT mean we have too..team friendly oh poor dak 30 is so small he might have to eat Ramen, stock up on bread and hot dogs!LMAO!

Dak worth no more then 30 looking at all the games not the stat stuffing games against bad teams, reality says he should take a team friendly deal at around 30 and prove hes worth more or take the Ft and try again..

we are saying hes not getting the 34-40 he has in his mind, hes not that qb..

if it were a done deal and the FO has to bend over to daks demnds, IT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED ALREADY.. the delay says it all..

Kwyn

Reaction score
why are you arguing something that hasn't happened yet, seems like waste of time.. we are debating how much we think hes worth and what he might get and NO if that were true and every new deal by a QB or other players makes the new one get more, might want to rethink that..

that mean ALL QBs get big dollars, thats not true there are 16-20 qbs under 20 , starters.. lets reword this Elite QNBs will get a new market setting deal , most anyway but last season Brady and Brees played under 25..Daks worth more then them? Daks closer to a Foles type just because the rams and eagles overpaid does NOT mean we have too..team friendly oh poor dak 30 is so small he might have to eat Ramen, stock up on bread and hot dogs!LMAO!

Dak worth no more then 30 looking at all the games not the stat stuffing games against bad teams, reality says he should take a team friendly deal at around 30 and prove hes worth more or take the Ft and try again..

we are saying hes not getting the 34-40 he has in his mind, hes not that qb..

if it were a done deal and the FO has to bend over to daks demnds, IT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED ALREADY.. the delay says it all..
Watson and Mahomes are about to get 35m+ deals

Brady and Brees are at the end of deals and both had earned enough that they took less than market when they signed. Dak, and any other QB coming off their rookie deal, are not going to take cap friendly deals on their first big payday.

Goff and Wentz didn’t do it. Mahomes and Watson won’t do it. Why would Dak?

You can’t compare the final year of a QB’s contract to the first year of new QB contracts.

the final year of Mahomes new contract will likely look like a bargain that year and other QBs will be using that number as a floor not a cap.

if anyone wants to name a bargain bin QB that’s available that you think can get the Cowboys to the NFC championship game, I’m all ears. I would love for that to be the case.

I’m not a Dak fanboy but I am a pragmatic realist.

if someone would trade us a 1st and a 3rd for Dak and we could sign Brady or Brees to a two year 70m deal, I would go for it but that’s not going to happen

if someone can look in a crystal ball and show me a 4th round QB this year that will perform like a top 10 QB in the next two seasons, I’m on board with that.

but, if anyone wants to sell me on a Case Keenum or a Colt McCoy as giving us a better chance to get to the NFC Championship then I’m going to strongly disagree and question their thought process.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Watson and Mahomes are about to get 35m+ deals

Brady and Brees are at the end of deals and both had earned enough that they took less than market when they signed. Dak, and any other QB coming off their rookie deal, are not going to take cap friendly deals on their first big payday.

Goff and Wentz didn’t do it. Mahomes and Watson won’t do it. Why would Dak?

You can’t compare the final year of a QB’s contract to the first year of new QB contracts.

the final year of Mahomes new contract will likely look like a bargain that year and other QBs will be using that number as a floor not a cap.

if anyone wants to name a bargain bin QB that’s available that you think can get the Cowboys to the NFC championship game, I’m all ears. I would love for that to be the case.

I’m not a Dak fanboy but I am a pragmatic realist.

if someone would trade us a 1st and a 3rd for Dak and we could sign Brady or Brees to a two year 70m deal, I would go for it but that’s not going to happen

if someone can look in a crystal ball and show me a 4th round QB this year that will perform like a top 10 QB in the next two seasons, I’m on board with that.

but, if anyone wants to sell me on a Case Keenum or a Colt McCoy as giving us a better chance to get to the NFC Championship then I’m going to strongly disagree and question their thought process.
Watson and Mahomes have showed they are better then dak, PERIOD,.. their contracts should not effect daks hes in a different tier..

those that cant see that are blinded by stats.. I dont want brady or brees at that either, I saw last year and they both declined..if the FO is smart they stand hard at 30 with some incentives for big games played and won in the playoffs that can earn him the other 3-5mil..If im a gm thats what im offering..

if Not non exclusive FT best bet, why not let Dak test his true market..lets see how many offers he gets more then 30 and a team willing to give 2 1sts for him..im betting reality sets in on his market being in the 2nd tier not the first..

Kwyn

Reaction score
Watson and Mahomes have showed they are better then dak, PERIOD,.. their contracts should not effect daks hes in a different tier..

those that cant see that are blinded by stats.. I dont want brady or brees at that either, I saw last year and they both declined..if the FO is smart they stand hard at 30 with some incentives for big games played and won in the playoffs that can earn him the other 3-5mil..If im a gm thats what im offering..

if Not non exclusive FT best bet, why not let Dak test his true market..lets see how many offers he gets more then 30 and a team willing to give 2 1sts for him..im betting reality sets in on his market being in the 2nd tier not the first..
Unfortunately, what we think a player is worth doesn’t mean anything and honestly, most fans greatly undervalue the market.

Mahomes and Watson will get bigger deals than Dak but Dak, having signed after Wentz and Goff will get more than either.

our ideas of who are first second or third tier are just random musings and don’t reflect what teams can and will pay.

our situation is what it is. We sign Dak to 30+ (more likely 32-33) or we franchise him and deal with the fallout from that. He’s unlikely to show for camp on time because he doesn’t have to. Teammates, who apparently love him, wonder why he’s not signed and wonder how it impacts them. Our new coach has an unsettled future with the most important position on the team.

And, at the end of all that, we still don’t have a long term solution set and decided on and until you have QB locked in, you don’t really have a true contender.

the most common strategy proposed around here that doesn’t involve Dak is what amounts to a hope and a prayer.

Either some top tier QB forces his way out of wherever he is, leaving money and likely a better chance at winning behind or we have a miracle in the draft that no NFL GM could ever bank on happening.

If wishes were horses, beggars (and dreamers) would ride.

We have a lot of dreamers in fandom.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
a bunch of nonsense and a perfect example of what I described

you want to flush Dsk but have absolutely zero to offer for an alternative

this team is good enough for a decent playoff run. Should we start Cooper Rush?

conplaining just to complain without even a basic understanding of how hard it is to just “get” an elite QB is just message board posturing

this isn’t fantasy football. You can’t just draft Pat Mahomes in the off-season and call it done.

offer a suggestion or strategy that allows this team to move on from Dak and then be prepared to defend it or just admit that you have no ideas and just want to complain.
Yeah you’re the perfect example of average like I said too. What kinda remedial logic are you using saying I don’t have a plan to replace Dak? I’m not some scared of change person like you. I’ve been said do him like the Chiefs did Alex Smith aka move up in the draft and get a blue chip prospect. Don’t know where your type thinks I just would say something with no way to improve from there smh. Oh yeah the sassy start Cooper Rush question? Again not original take and a super sign of childlike emotions unchecked. Let’s be real who the hell is seriously say we should start Rush before seeing what he can do? Maybe 1% of people so why are we Using outliers to form the real narrative? You have to stop the sassy retorts that I’ve explained in other threads many times. Like I said before just say you like Dak average self and stop trying to hit me with the bs like replacing Alex Smith Jr is some super hard thing to do. I gave you the reasons why he’s average but all
You did was focus on emo bs. Stop it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Yeah you’re the perfect example of average like I said too. What kinda remedial logic are you using saying I don’t have a plan to replace Dak? I’m not some scared of change person like you. I’ve been said do him like the Chiefs did Alex Smith aka move up in the draft and get a blue chip prospect. Don’t know where your type thinks I just would say something with no way to improve from there smh. Oh yeah the sassy start Cooper Rush question? Again not original take and a super sign of childlike emotions unchecked. Let’s be real who the hell is seriously say we should start Rush before seeing what he can do? Maybe 1% of people so why are we Using outliers to form the real narrative? You have to stop the sassy retorts that I’ve explained in other threads many times. Like I said before just say you like Dak average self and stop trying to hit me with the bs like replacing Alex Smith Jr is some super hard thing to do. I gave you the reasons why he’s average but all
You did was focus on emo bs. Stop it.
You didn’t say anything

Emo? I’m providing some actual information and thoughtful opinion in this thread.

you’re just spouting insults

and ... you have yet to post an actual idea or suggestion. “Do like Alex Smith”. “Move up in the draft and take a blue chip prospect”

lol, those aren’t plans, those are message board fantasies

you’ve proven you have no idea what you’re talking about and you just make personal attacks so you’re going on ignore

Hadenough

Reaction score
Keenum made 7.5m last year. Don’t forget Denver paid him to too. Commanders only had to pay half.

Starting QB’s get paid, no matter what team they are on unless they are on their rookie deal.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2019/

Pick our next stop gap QB

and also, how do you propose we get the #1 overall pick in 2021 so we can draft Lawrence?

what combination of picks and players would net a 1st overall?

Using a modern trade calculator it would take the 15th, 16th and 17th pick in this years draft to get the Bengals #1

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Dal

assuming we have the 17th pick again next year, where do we get #15 and #16? That’s three mid round first round picks to move up to get Lawrence. How is that possible? How many players on our current roster could we even trade for #15 or #16 this year? If so, would you package them and our #17 for the #1? Would the team hoping to also draft Lawrence even be willing to do that?
If you have Lawrence you wont need a a 100 million dollars tied up in the online or 90 mil tied up in Zeke. It would be worth doing whatever it takes to get Lawrence. You cant put a price on Elite. Even if it's not Lawrence in 2021 let's just say Tua falls to 17 in this upcoming draft. They would be complete idiots not to take him. Franchise Dak for a season while Tua heals up and learns then starts the next season and let Dak walk.

Kwyn

Reaction score
If you have Lawrence you wont need a a 100 million dollars tied up in the online or 90 mil tied up in Zeke. It would be worth doing whatever it takes to get Lawrence. You cant put a price on Elite. Even if it's not Lawrence in 2021 let's just say Tua falls to 17 in this upcoming draft. They would be complete idiots not to take him. Franchise Dak for a season while Tua heals up and learns then starts the next season and let Dak walk.

I’m not sold on Tua as being elite. I hope he’ll be really good because I like the kid but I don’t necessarily see him as ever getting to the elite level. I also think he’ll go before 17. If he’s there, I’d be fine with this plan but I doubt the Cowboys are

I don’t think the Cowboys have enough bullets in the gun to get next years #1

we would need to trade this years 1st for someone’s 1st next year and hopefully a 3rd or 4th.

then we would need to trade players, one or probably two of our best, for another 1st next year.

that would give us 3 1st and depending on where they fall, that might get you the #1 overall ... assuming whoever has it wasn’t after a QB.

would that even be enough? I kinda doubt it because our 1st next year will be in the 20’s

For those who want to go out and get Lawrence, would you be willing to pay that price? Is he a 100% guarantee and worth 3 firsts and a couple of our best players?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
McCarthy is starting to worry me a bit. I'm gonna hold off either way until I see what he does with the personal. For me that will show if Jerry really has given up some of his grip.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He needs to focus on getting his staff right. It's not like he can begin to have Dak run a drill yet.