Slater on Dak's contract/negotiation

Chasing6

Reaction score
I would let him play out the year and let him walk. And I would give serious consideration to drafting Penix if he’s available.
That would be awesome. Draft a QB with no LT and no OC. Then blame Penix for the lack of success.

Sound familiar.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is why if there really hasn't been much contact between the two sides I really think this could actually be the end of Dak in Dallas. I wouldn't blame Dak for testing free agency at this point, he would absolutely clean up on the open market. If the Cowboys are not showing motivation to get a deal done, why would it?
Just wait for Dak to pull a Martin

Chasing6

Reaction score
All of the posters who are hating on Dak - as a 4th round pick and had no power, who decided to franchise tag him - twice !!!
Who, now that they have no leverage are trying to strong arm him with this play out the year bullshot ?
Stephen is actually worse than Jerry.
Put the blame for this mess where is belongs, we have an inept front office !
Your hatred is in the wrong place. Every year they cry poverty at Free Agency, that's a crock of s---. They are their own worst enemy, Dak isn't holding this team hostage, the Jones are ....
If I am Jimmy Johnson, I am recalling my comment that I have a chair at the table.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak is on a contract year.
Dak wants a long term deal.
If Dak gets hurt or stinks, then Dak will not get a good long term deal from anyone next year.

The Cowboys can sit tight and let Dak play out his last year. The Cowboys can let Dak seek a trade to a team who will give him a long term deal.

The Cowboys are in a better position regarding Dak than many think.
Guaranteed Dak buys a nice insurance policy to protect himself from injury.

Dak and his agents hold all the face cards. Dak and his agent will not be making the first call.

Mentoer(Al Davis) has failed the student.

Game over.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There are important members on the Team, but absolutely no one can be above the Team, ever, the moment you allow that you lose the Team.

You can't call someone holding the Team hostage a Team Leader.
I agree. You can't call him an Owner, a real GM or CEO. They would all be fired and the Board of Directors would institute a hostile takeover.

plymkr

Reaction score
He was already exposed by a lack of talent on the team. How does have even less talent expose him?
I hope it shows Jerry that Dak is an average QB. I believe he’s average and way below average in the playoffs. I’m hoping he has several more outing like he did against Arizona and the 49ers. If the offensive line doesn’t improve then I feel he will. But Jerry has to see it. But to answer your question specifically, less talent means less wins and Jerry won’t be able to rationalize paying Dak 60+ million APY with a losing record and a bad offense.

Swagger

Reaction score
This is why if there really hasn't been much contact between the two sides I really think this could actually be the end of Dak in Dallas. I wouldn't blame Dak for testing free agency at this point, he would absolutely clean up on the open market. If the Cowboys are not showing motivation to get a deal done, why would it?
The pertinent point being sure he might clean up on the open market...but for a bad team. A contender will not pay him what he wants so if earning $55 million as opposed to say $45 million a year for a contender is more important to him having earned $160 million over the past 4 years then that speaks volumes about him when Mahomes took a team friendly 10 year deal.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Either get a deal done or cut his butt. Not sure things can be any clearer than they are right now.

If they believe in Dak, they should have gotten a deal done and been looking to go all in. Instead, they are dipping their toes into the kiddie pool and have accomplished nothing.

I could understand a middle-of-the-pack team not wanting to break the bank, but this is a team that is close and they are fine with the status quo. It was obvious to a blind monkey they needed help at OL, DT and LB last offseason and they didn't do a damn thing to fill any of those voids. The sad thing is they probably had a legit shot at winning a Super Bowl if they had.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
No leverage. We aren't going anywhere with or without him. That's what happens when you choke in the playoffs. Now Jerry can cave to him. That wouldn't surprise me but that's another matter. As bad as Dak has been, Jerry's the real reason this franchise can't put it together.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If he plays the year out, move on. Simple as this. At his $60 million cap hit the team will be competitive but not going anywhere.

Release bad contracts, resign Lamb and Micah, stink for a year and rebuild it

Its pure crap he is holding the team hostage
This right here!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I would let him play out the year and let him walk. And I would give serious consideration to drafting Penix if he’s available.
EXACTLY the writing would surely be on the wall if we took a QB somewhere early in the draft I would laugh my butt off

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Guaranteed Dak buys a nice insurance policy to protect himself from injury.

Dak and his agents hold all the face cards. Dak and his agent will not be making the first call.

Mentoer(Al Davis) has failed the student.

Game over.
Even without the extension Dak's getting $34m in his pocket, with the chance of resetting the market in 2025.....so what's his motivation to sign this offseason??
When you have the cards (and we dont know the "Elephant in the Room".....length of contract)......you can just sit and wait,

Ill ask you, as I ask all Dak Regardless Fans, what should his contract look like (because my guess is that length is the issue).