Slater on Dak's contract/negotiation

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I wonder WHY they're playing hard ball?????? Do they finally realize he's not getting us anywhere far
Well yeh, there's been three play-off exits where he's heavily contributed to the defeat (those defeats weren't all his fault, but the defeats weren't DESPITE HIS PERFORMANCE)......how much does this 'market setting' QB NEED.
If we're going ALL-IN, you cant do it based on him and his play-off performances, you need to be convinced it'll work. This season will prove whether Dak's worth the ALL-IN shot.....that shot is still there in 2025 with a clean slate CAP (and hopefully Dak will have put to rest this choker label).
If he wants the money that someone else will pay then go find it, but he wont get the choice of where he's playing (especially if Goff and Tua are extended).

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Well yeh, there's been three play-off exits where he's heavily contributed to the defeat (those defeats weren't all his fault, but the defeats weren't DESPITE HIS PERFORMANCE)......how much does this 'market setting' QB NEED.
If we're going ALL-IN, you cant do it based on him and his play-off performances, you need to be convinced it'll work. This season will prove whether Dak's worth the ALL-IN shot.....that shot is still there in 2025 with a clean slate CAP (and hopefully Dak will have put to rest this choker label).
If he wants the money that someone else will pay then go find it, but he wont get the choice of where he's playing (especially if Goff and Tua are extended).
I'm sorry good or great this year I'm not buying it, eventually somewhere in the new deal we will see the old Dak and we will be back to calling him weak. He's made enough money my gosh

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm sorry good or great this year I'm not buying it, eventually somewhere in the new deal we will see the old Dak and we will be back to calling him weak. He's made enough money my gosh
You dont have to convince me.....I dont think Dak has the mental make-up to win it all, the same failure (to step up when the game's on the line). Reading the situation, Jerry doesnt think Dak has it either, but could take a chance on a long contract which they can manipulate into building an ALL-IN team for 2024/25 (maybe '26) and then struggle badly.
I still think Dak wants to hit FA again in 3/4 years and at $60m we cant manipulate the CAP, especially as we've got to account for the existing deferments.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dude is another Andy Dalton. Great regular season QB, falls apart in the playoffs. That's why they aren't actually going all in, they've seen enough and now Dak can either sink or swim with whatever they put around him. They aren't going to do him any favors when their intent is to wipe the slate in 2025 if he doesn't somehow amaze them by going full Patrick Mahomes.

cristglo

Reaction score
I think Dak gives us the best shot to go all the way but not at where we are now cap wise This team has some talent and needs to put some better pieces around him You would think Dak would see this He has more money than his grandkids could ever spend Where are the days when players played for the love of the game? I’m not asking Dak to play for min but geez he don’t have to break the bank
if a deal doesn’t get done till August What is the point? Unless we can free up enough cap space to put the players needed around Dak there is No need let it ride and move on At this point he is not helping the team he is hurting it I would rather tear it down and start over Heck we can seem to make it in the playoffs

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dude is another Andy Dalton. Great regular season QB, falls apart in the playoffs. That's why they aren't actually going all in, they've seen enough and now Dak can either sink or swim with whatever they put around him. They aren't going to do him any favors when their intent is to wipe the slate in 2025 if he doesn't somehow amaze them by going full Patrick Mahomes.
Yep, in a way (not what fans want to hear), but this isnt the year to go ALL-IN, as there are still question marks on Dak's ability in the play-offs. Im all-in on Dak actually proving that he wont capitulate, if he's getting 'market setting' anyway.....prove you're worth it. Then the argument that he'll get money on the open market, well good for you, but if you want more money, over playing for Dallas, then fine go play in Minnesota.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think Dak gives us the best shot to go all the way but not at where we are now cap wise This team has some talent and needs to put some better pieces around him You would think Dak would see this He has more money than his grandkids could ever spend Where are the days when players played for the love of the game? I’m not asking Dak to play for min but geez he don’t have to break the bank
if a deal doesn’t get done till August What is the point? Unless we can free up enough cap space to put the players needed around Dak there is No need let it ride and move on At this point he is not helping the team he is hurting it I would rather tear it down and start over Heck we can seem to make it in the playoffs
I honestly think that Jerry will break the bank.....but he'll want a long (Hurts long) contract so he can kick the can and manipulate the CAP over the next couple of years.
As you say, there's no point in doing it in August....at that point Jerry needs to let him play out, reset the CAP and see what the market is in 2025 (as I say, if Dak succeeds but wants the last dollar available he may have to play in Minnesota).

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The question is how much Dak would make if he is a free agent in 2025. Would the Raiders pay him 55+ million or the Steelers? How about the Broncos. The Joneses could make a stand but I can’t imagine they would give up on a quarterback that always keeps them relevant for an unknown. France is not going to let Dak take less then 60 million from the Cowboys.

Slick

Reaction score
Either get a deal done or cut his butt. Not sure things can be any clearer than they are right now.

If they believe in Dak, they should have gotten a deal done and been looking to go all in. Instead, they are dipping their toes into the kiddie pool and have accomplished nothing.

I could understand a middle-of-the-pack team not wanting to break the bank, but this is a team that is close and they are fine with the status quo. It was obvious to a blind monkey they needed help at OL, DT and LB last offseason and they didn't do a damn thing to fill any of those voids. The sad thing is they probably had a legit shot at winning a Super Bowl if they had.
No, they had no shot. They are further than people think. They got pushed around on both sides of the ball. They aren’t a player or two away from anything. They need size on both lines, a running game, a true pass rusher, and a real QB. The GM is lacking in all areas of football.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Just wait for Dak to pull a Martin
Honestly if he does then that’s fine. In my opinion he’d be crazy to do it though. If he hits free agency he easily becomes the highest paid player (in AAV) of all time and there will be no shortage of bidders.

From the cowboys standpoint I’m honestly not sure they really care about 2024. Dak holding out would be justification in their minds to look at 2025 and punt on 2024.

I think we are looking at a matter of just a couple weeks for a dak deal to get done. If they wait until the draft or after then shame on both sides here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Cowboys front office has completely snow-jobbed you guys.

They knew this was all coming.
Dak's market is 55M AAV. 4 years 220, 110 of that GTD.
You can tweak it but thats about where it lands.

And in response they have restructured 1 dude. 1.
To barely get under the cap.
And let Dak take all the blame for them not signing anyone lol.
Hilarious.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The question is how much Dak would make if he is a free agent in 2025. Would the Raiders pay him 55+ million or the Steelers? How about the Broncos. The Joneses could make a stand but I can’t imagine they would give up on a quarterback that always keeps them relevant for an unknown. France is not going to let Dak take less then 60 million from the Cowboys.
All it takes is one team/owner but know this. No way in hell France will let Dak leave the Cowboys UNLESS he has at least 2 committed teams in his back pocket. In other words, in this day and age, the NFL tampering rule is a joke. I remember reading a nugget a few years ago where an agent bragged about having 3/4 teams lined up to sign his client 10min after free agency started. He and GM's communicated mostly via texting.
My point is, it would not surprise me if Todd France couldn't peel off at least 2 teams who would sign Dak today if they could.......and honestly, I think Jerry and Stephen know this.

Adreme

Reaction score
Meh who even cares. If you feel yourself caring go back and watch the Green Bay game.
Yep when the defense gives up a performance that no team in playoff history (and possibly NFL history) has won from then fixing that needs to be the priority.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Cowboys front office has completely snow-jobbed you guys.

They knew this was all coming.
Dak's market is 55M AAV. 4 years 220, 110 of that GTD.
You can tweak it but thats about where it lands.

And in response they have restructured 1 dude. 1.
To barely get under the cap.
And let Dak take all the blame for them not signing anyone lol.
Hilarious.
Hot damn .......you nailed it. I telling someone the same thing. They will use his contract as an excuse and the truth they knew this was coming months ago.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
All it takes is one team/owner but know this. No way in hell France will let Dak leave the Cowboys UNLESS he has at least 2 committed teams in his back pocket. In other words, in this day and age, the NFL tampering rule is a joke. I remember reading a nugget a few years ago where an agent bragged about having 3/4 teams lined up to sign his client 10min after free agency started. He and GM's communicated mostly via texting.
My point is, it would not surprise me if Todd France couldn't peel off at least 2 teams who would sign Dak today if they could.......and honestly, I think Jerry and Stephen know this.
I agree with you. The Anti crowd actually thought no team would have given Dak his last contract but Dallas. To general managers around the NFL Dak is a top 8 quarterback. Those guys don’t grow on trees.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
It's crazy to me how Jerry would even consider extensions right now. I'd straight up tell him get me to a SB and we will talk.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Honestly if he does then that’s fine. In my opinion he’d be crazy to do it though. If he hits free agency he easily becomes the highest paid player (in AAV) of all time and there will be no shortage of bidders.

From the cowboys standpoint I’m honestly not sure they really care about 2024. Dak holding out would be justification in their minds to look at 2025 and punt on 2024.

I think we are looking at a matter of just a couple weeks for a dak deal to get done. If they wait until the draft or after then shame on both sides here.
It is apparent that GM Jeruh has already made up his mind for 2025. In fact, anyone on our team that wants to win a SB needs to reconsider signing an extension with the Cowboys.

coult44

Reaction score
At this point, I hope Dak holds out, but he doesn’t let anybody know until the week of Oxnard.

coult44

Reaction score
It's crazy to me how Jerry would even consider extensions right now. I'd straight up tell him get me to a SB and we will talk.
What’s crazy is Jerry is doing exactly what you guys want him to do by not signing him but you’re still talking about this like he’s signed.