CFZ Smart move will let both Zeke/Pollard go!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
Not Franchising Pollard would be an epic fail.

RonWashington

Reaction score

Epic fail would be paying a RB coming off a broken leg a franchise tag salary that puts his salary in RB orbit when rounds 3-4 or an affordable FA can help carry the load.

Jayinem

Reaction score
And we're going to use that cap space on who or what? A great free agent? When does that ever happen in Dallas?

I definitely agree Zeke needs to go, Pollard depends on his health.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Epic fail would be paying a RB coming off a broken leg a franchise tag salary that puts his salary in RB orbit when rounds 3-4 or an affordable FA can help carry the load.
Wrong!

Free Agency and Franchise Tags come before the draft.

A team that plans to contend can't take the gamble that they'll find a starting RB that is ready day one in the 4th round.
- That would be more moronic than anything Jerry has ever done.

If they're worried about Pollard's injury, then they'll have to sign a legit starting RB in free agency and be committed to him for multiple years.
- Tua Tagovailoa had the same injury/surgery and came back to play in 28 days.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don't think it's smart to let Pollard go. He's the one guy we have who can go to a division rival and gash you twice a year.

Don't do it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I like Pollard, wouldn't mike keeping him, but he may cost too much money and I will be ok with both being gone.
The key is just not giving him a contract like Zeke. Even more importantly, what you do with Zeke will impact what they do with Pollard. He'll want some money; the question is whether or not he'll get it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Right. I almost feel like I'm getting put together by a team rival. Because why else would you not want to sign Pollard? He had an ankle sprain, which isn't like an ligament injury. People are assuming they will have had the same impact.

Of course, you sign Pollard. You can trust him at this point.

I would also like to see Aaron Shampklin back in camp, and who knows'? Maybe this is the year Brandon Smith actually makes the team.

ICP

Reaction score
It's already obvious after dumb and dumbers week of silence that they are going to bring back most of the key pieces (players) that couldn't get it done for the past several years and hang the coaches out to dry. Getting rid of big name players would be like admitting the two hillbillies don't know what they're doing.

Which they don't

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In my opinion, no need to discuss Zeke Elliot, he is finished and shouldn't come back in any capacity.

Pollard is a whole other discussion, he is a true homerun hitter where he can score anytime he touches the football, could even be better if the coaches allow him to be the guy, involve him in the screen/passing games. However, he is coming off serious injury that can affect his greatest strength-his explosiveness.

Extending running backs has been disasterous in today's game. Almost all running backs with their 2nd contracts fall off the cliff, we seen it with Zeke, Gurley and Bell. Look at the playoff teams, most have running back committees that are very cap friendly or have dual threat running backs that take on most of the load.

Yes, Pollard doesn't have much wear and tear, but they can draft multiple backs that can give them similar production at 1/3 the price.

This year is a very talented, deep, running back class, select one high (1-3) and another one on day 3. Could always sign a cheap veteran in fa as well.
One high, one mid, and *franchise* Pollard.

Franchising Pollard will be less than we spent on Gallup or Schulz last year. Pollard is low mileage for his years, like Henry was. *IF* the leg is ok, he'll be worth it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's already obvious after dumb and dumbers week of silence that they are going to bring back most of the key pieces (players) that couldn't get it done for the past several years and hang the coaches out to dry.
Not the coaches generally. Not Quinn. He's probably HC in waiting if McCarthy/Dak fail. It's that pair who are on the hot seat, and then the McCarthy offensive coaches if McCarthy fails.

Reactions: ICP

RonWashington

Reaction score
Wrong!

Free Agency and Franchise Tags come before the draft.

A team that plans to contend can't take the gamble that they'll find a starting RB that is ready day one in the 4th round.
- That would be more moronic than anything Jerry has ever done.

If they're worried about Pollard's injury, then they'll have to sign a legit starting RB in free agency and be committed to him for multiple years.
- Tua Tagovailoa had the same injury/surgery and came back to play in 28 days.
Moronic is big franchise tag $ on Pollard . And yes i mentioned Jeff Wilson Jr the Dolphin FA who would be a much less expensive cap hit pairing him with Malik Davis and even adding a 3 or 4 in the draft a Zack Evans .

I saw how Gallup had to adjust to coming back AFTER Jerry handed him big dollars. Let’s get a fresh attack in the running game unless Pollard is willing to a sensible let’s see if you hold up contract .

Put money from Schultz as well towards getting Payne from Wash get some DT help . Payne & Jeff Wilson Jr . Time to churn the roster Jimmy .

Cowboyny

Reaction score
One high, one mid, and *franchise* Pollard.

Franchising Pollard will be less than we spent on Gallup or Schulz last year. Pollard is low mileage for his years, like Henry was. *IF* the leg is ok, he'll be worth it.
That's the whole issue with Pollard "if" the leg is ok. 1 yr franchise is fine, just don't give me a huge, long-term extension.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Or you could tag Pollard and draft an elite defensive player.
We are going to need more then just Pollard, but I agree, don't have to use our top pick on the position, especially with great depth this yr.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am fine with a 1yr tag, to see how he comes back from injury, but I would be very reluctant to give him a big, long-term extension.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If we discover our own Kamara. .and he is showing to be ultimate difference maker .i'm for locking him up for years to come ..

.And i'm getting him complimentary backs to where we are not loading and pounding him down
as if he's depended upon to carry the offense ... that's how those backs you mentioned end up for the most part get beat and pounded down to a pulp until they become
useless ...zeke .. .chris johnson ... Shady McCoy ..Landalinson, etc...Gurley already had a chronic knee problem per college Bell is not a conventional back so he could
only be successful in one system.

If i have Nick Chubb, ..i'm gonna have to have my Kareem Hunt types to complement and spell him accordingly,
..i prefer to go NFL draft with even fresher legs than used vets
No problem, franchising Pollard, but I am worried about that injury. It will give them time to see where he is at, but also I want to add fresh blood to the positional group. Even if Pollard is kept, he never has carried the load, they are going to need another back to lessen the load.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sprain or torn ..which one is worse ?
It was my understanding that the issue isn't so much with the broken leg, but more about the ligaments that bind the leg. Cowboys have a great medical staff and they should know if this is something to worry about moving forward. Placing the tag makes the most sense if they want to keep him as they don't want another Gallup situation again. Gallup basically has next yr to prove himself or he will be gone.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Understand....but if you're leading the league in something good, a time or two under a rookie contract, you can expect some extra zeroes behind the number for the next contract. Or hello new team.
The smart teams just move on and draft the next guy.