So, Any Tweeners Rated in the First Round?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1161951 said:
He never competed for LOLB spot in training camp. He practiced on the inside immediately.

I know, but when he was drafted, it was for him to be competing w/ Ellis and Singleton for the LOLB spot

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1161898 said:
if we draft 22 and below

there's not much seperation there, from a 2nd round pick, so to move into the high 2nd round, and pick up a couple more picks

hell, I'm all for it

All of which will depend on the underclassmen that declare.

There may be some value from 22-32;

22 Mark Clayton
24 Steven Jackson
28 Chris Gamble
32 Ben Watson
27 Larry Johnson

If no one falls, yeah, trade down, but in a year where there's a deep draft, a value pick will always fall in your lap.

Dat Dude

Benched
Reaction score
smarta5150;1161759 said:
Man this tape must be dusty. lol I will check him out.

I covered Dwayne Jarret in HS and I wasnt too good so I dont know how much this tape will show ; )

I picked of Rex Grossman in 97' , actuallyhe threw it right to me... Bloomington South..

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1161950 said:
And most other scouts. Bill even hinted at this in a press conference earlier in the year.

I'd like to see this "list". Virtually all the draft guides I looked at projected Carpenter to the outside and several thought he was the best "3-4 SSOLB" available.
It was pretty common knowledge around draft time that scouts had him as an ILB in the 3-4. New England had him slated there.
That is a massive assumption.
I disagree.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SALADIN;1161958 said:
a value pick will always fall in your lap.

true, just saying that trading down, maybe out of the 1st completely, looks like a real possibility now since we don't have any real, glaring need on the roster

Dat Dude

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;1161794 said:
Birdine is so overrated its not funny.

I like Crowder though. He could probably play that position that Ellis does.

Lets just hope Carpenter lives up to the hype.

Carp might be 259 or so... But if he was 6'5 hed be a better fit.... for SOLB

At 6'2 inside is where he belongs..

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1161960 said:
It was pretty common knowledge around draft time that scouts had him as an ILB in the 3-4. New England had him slated there.

that actually didn't become knowledge till after the draft

Natedawg44

Reaction score
CATCH17;1161794 said:
Birdine is so overrated its not funny.

I like Crowder though. He could probably play that position that Ellis does.

Lets just hope Carpenter lives up to the hype.

Homer alert
The OU guy sucks
The texas guy is good

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1161951 said:
He never competed for LOLB spot in training camp. He practiced on the inside immediately.

That's because they were giving Ellis a "crash course" at SOLB and they had Als behind him. Carpenter wasn't going to get any snaps at that position and Parcells said that.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1161965 said:
that actually didn't become knowledge till after the draft
That's why I said, "around draft time."

MichaelWinicki;1161971 said:
That's because they were giving Ellis a "crash course" at SOLB and they had Als behind him. Carpenter wasn't going to get any snaps at that position and Parcells said that.
Like I said, he never competed for the outside position.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dat Dude;1161964 said:
Carp might be 259 or so... But if he was 6'5 hed be a better fit.... for SOLB

At 6'2 inside is where he belongs..

So you're saying we spent a 1st round draft pick on a guy to play behind Akin and James? Akin we had just signed to a big contract and James was very, very good last year... you really believe we spent a 1st rounder to back up those two spots? LOL!

I call "BS".

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1161976 said:
That's why I said, "around draft time."

Like I said, he never competed for the outside position.

But I guess his is now huh? :)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Before this whole conversation takes my post count up towards 5000 posts, I want to point out that I think Carpenter was drafted with an eye toward playing the LOLB. HOWEVER! The reason he was drafted over Lawson is because he would make the perfect ILB because of his size/frame. Carpenter had the ability to play multiple positions and Bill knew about the Greg Ellis experiment before we all even had it on our radar. In hindsight, I'm not sure why we ever doubted Greg in the first place. It wasn't really a stretch for Parcells to think he could succeed standing up. Heck, 3-4 defenses ask 4-3 DEs to do it all the time and they typically do succeed. The position isn't that much different.

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
theogt;1161728 said:
Both really. I'd love to see us get a top flight WR. I don't see Glenn around much longer. TO is a toss up. Austin, Hurd, and Crayton all have the potential to be very solid #2/3 receivers. I want a first round potential pro-bowl receiver.

Okay, and who might that be?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1161985 said:
once the draft is over, there is no "draft time"
Arguing for the sake of argument? "Around draft time" means around draft time. You know, the months of March, April, and May. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1161992 said:
Arguing for the sake of argument? "Around draft time" means around draft time. You know, the months of March, April, and May. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

the draft is over

there is no more draft

anything after that, the word "draft", can't be applied cuz it ceases to exist

I wouldn't have a problem if you said, "after the draft", because using "around draft-time", is suiting your argument that he was drafted to be an ILB, which isn't true

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Natedawg44;1161968 said:
Homer alert
The OU guy sucks
The texas guy is good

Im not a Texas fan but I do hate OU.

With that said i'll give any player credit where credit is due and the only player on that defense worth a darn is Reggie Smith.

I guess Rufus would be a solid pick for a 4-3 team.

Dat Dude

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1161980 said:
So you're saying we spent a 1st round draft pick on a guy to play behind Akin and James? Akin we had just signed to a big contract and James was very, very good last year... you really believe we spent a 1st rounder to back up those two spots? LOL!

I call "BS".

I like Carps potential... Really do..

Loved that Trio at OSU last year and want them all too succeed at NYJ, GB and dallas. But..... I think he was picked for SOLB in mind but was an insurance policy for AKIN if he didnt work out. Guy played DE at Purdue and in a 4-3 with Jags.. You can never have enough big LB's that can run. Bobby was this on tape last year. Like Bill was saying today at PC , Bobby's issue is confindence. He doesnt have that same OSU swagger that he did last year. Even at the Fiesta Bowl when he ran out on field, he lokks totally different. He went from Stud on Campus, to lost on Kick Off team. He plays too tentative like hes scared to mess up .. Not the same instinctive guy I saw against UT last year...

So with Greg being out, Bobby will be given chance but ONLY due to injury.. With AKIN playing well he will only sniff field if he plays SOLB well or can be a down rusher in nickel or dime...

Not a wasted pick , just a depth issue.. I still think he's too short for SOLB, he will be good in coverage.. but doesnt impress me shedding blocks...