So, Any Tweeners Rated in the First Round?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1161990 said:
Before this whole conversation takes my post count up towards 5000 posts, I want to point out that I think Carpenter was drafted with an eye toward playing the LOLB. HOWEVER! The reason he was drafted over Lawson is because he would make the perfect ILB because of his size/frame. Carpenter had the ability to play multiple positions and Bill knew about the Greg Ellis experiment before we all even had it on our radar. In hindsight, I'm not sure why we ever doubted Greg in the first place. It wasn't really a stretch for Parcells to think he could succeed standing up. Heck, 3-4 defenses ask 4-3 DEs to do it all the time and they typically do succeed. The position isn't that much different.

Carp was drafted over Lawson because he was a perfect fit for the LOLB spot minus his height and short arms

as we see now, BP had no idea how Carp would react when moved inside since he never played the position before, don't know where you're getting this "ability to play multiple positions" from

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1162004 said:
Carp was drafted over Lawson because he was a perfect fit for the LOLB spot minus his height and short arms

as we see now, BP had no idea how Carp would react when moved inside since he never played the position before, don't know where you're getting this "ability to play multiple positions" from
From Bill Parcells's mouth. Listen to the press conferences. He has stated that Carpenter was appealing because he could play multiple positions.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
My draft would be 4 olineman, a free safety who can make plays, and a stout dt to help rest Ferguson ( a sumo wrestler type would be perfect) maybe even a real sumo wrestler

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1161997 said:
the draft is over

there is no more draft

anything after that, the word "draft", can't be applied cuz it ceases to exist

I wouldn't have a problem if you said, "after the draft", because using "around draft-time", is suiting your argument that he was drafted to be an ILB, which isn't true
"Around" in the temporal sense encompasses both before and after the fact. Thanks for taking this conversation to new heights.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1162005 said:
From Bill Parcells's mouth. Listen to the press conferences. He has stated that Carpenter was appealing because he could play multiple positions.

I remember it being because he was versatile, that doesn't mean being able to play multiple positions, but in rushing the passer, stopping the run, and playing in coverage

he only talks about moving Carp to ILB because "he's a smart kid and I think he can handle it"

and of course Ellis adapting to the OLB position so well, which wasn't a sure thing in Parcells' mind, per his PCs

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1161980 said:
So you're saying we spent a 1st round draft pick on a guy to play behind Akin and James? Akin we had just signed to a big contract and James was very, very good last year... you really believe we spent a 1st rounder to back up those two spots? LOL!

I call "BS".
I'm saying we drafted a guy that could step in and play competently at multiple LB positions in the 3-4. Bill loves those players. He dreams about those players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1162009 said:
"Around" in the temporal sense encompasses both before and after the fact. Thanks for taking this conversation to new heights.

"after the draft" is more precise

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1162013 said:
I remember it being because he was versatile, that doesn't mean being able to play multiple positions, but in rushing the passer, stopping the run, and playing in coverage

he only talks about moving Carp to ILB because "he's a smart kid and I think he can handle it"
Yeah, I guess he just figured out that he was a smart kid that could handle multiple positions AFTER THE DRAFT.;)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I was a betting man :) I would say that Carp will end the season as the starting SSOLB and will begin next season there.

And while I would not be shocked that we drafted another LB in either rounds 2 or 3 I just doubt we would blow a 1 on one.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1162031 said:
If I was a betting man :) I would say that Carp will end the season as the starting SSOLB and will begin next season there.

And while I would not be shocked that we drafted another LB in either rounds 2 or 3 I just doubt we would blow a 1 on one.
If I was a betting man I would say that Carpenter is not the future of this franchise at LOLB.

wick

Reaction score
Texas' Brian Robison could be an outstanding conversion in the middle and later rounds. He's an outstanding athlete.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I know this won't be popular but it may well happen that the best player on the board come our pick will be a CB and it wouldn't be a bad pick even if there are more pressing needs...