so no brewster and Bright either.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CCBoy;4008395 said:
Burma, I'm just awaiting to see what is resolved over the next week on the personnel look of the position...taking a wait and see approach here.:)

But churn of the lower roster places always goes to new and cheaper players. The roles of the top slots is where approval ratings hang their caps. Here, Jerry Jones has a very large GM credability view in progress right now. We shall see...

We just seem to suck so bad at getting two positions right:

O Line and Safety.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
burmafrd;4008393 said:
Brewster
Marten
McQ
the Proctologist

A 3rd rounder, 7th rounder, and another UDFA.

If you want to say that the organization needed to put a bigger emphasis on drafting O-Linemen...I can see your point. But acting like these guys were colossal busts is insane.

YR

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;4008393 said:
Brewster
Marten
McQ
the Proctologist

I could go on couldn't I? This same staff has developed ONE STARTING O lineman in how many years? Yeah they really know football.
I would join your panic parade if these guys were 1st rounders that we spent a fortune on. UDFAs and 7th rounders cause your butt to pucker?

That's beyond sad.

I'll give you the 3rd round picks not working, but would you like for me to educate you on 3rd round OL? I bet you a thousand dollars I can find a 3rd round OL bust for just about every team in the NFL in the last 15 years.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;4008424 said:
A 3rd rounder, 7th rounder, and another UDFA.

If you want to say that the organization needed to put a bigger emphasis on drafting O-Linemen...I can see your point. But acting like these guys were colossal busts is insane.

YR
No kidding.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4008414 said:

O Line and Safety.

I don't think many would disagree on that.

Offensive line has really been a killer and it has cost the team big-time financially.

Even with Free - who they hit on - they got a year and a half of bargain play and now they have to pay premium money. Not that Free hasn't earned it, he has, but teams need low-pay production at some positions to offset big-money at others.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
With all the Oline cuts we're seeing, I have to think the staff likes what they see in David Arkin, though I don't see how they really know anything since he hasn't seen even a practice field at this point. More likely we're going to sign a free agent guard. At least I hope so.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Feel bad for Brewster.

If I remember his story right, his wife died after delivering their first child and Brewster was a single dad. .. Sad story.

Hope he saved his money. Maybe he can get his health together and play someplace.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Hostile;4008426 said:
I would join your panic parade if these guys were 1st rounders that we spent a fortune on. UDFAs and 7th rounders cause your butt to pucker?

That's beyond sad.

I'll give you the 3rd round picks not working, but would you like for me to educate you on 3rd round OL? I bet you a thousand dollars I can find a 3rd round OL bust for just about every team in the NFL in the last 15 years.

Peterman.

Almost forgot about him.

Still makes no difference as regards the fact we do not develope O linemen.

Over the last 16 years we had 4: Allen, The Hotel, Gurode and now Free.

Show me another NFL team that has been THAT POOR at developing O line.

CCBoy

Reaction score
burmafrd;4008414 said:

O Line and Safety.

It has taken from the change to a 3-4, under Bill Parcells, for the Cowboys to finally get a real set of suitable linebackers to man the scheme. That took a horendously long period of time.

I well agree with your core issue, of extreme bleeding at both offensive line and the secondary, pointedly, the safety position. It has been on a back burner for WAY too long.

Both have been on life support for a long time, with deep need for IV's during that time.

I agree with your main line point. I won't get involved with issue of example presented, as your cause is apparent and real.:)

Mash

Reaction score
Bright?

I was hoping to keep him for at least another year to see what he can do....

These cuts dont really save alot of cap space...right?

Did the coaches and mangement feel that they seen enough of these guys?

Nightshade

Reaction score
burmafrd;4008469 said:
Peterman.

Almost forgot about him.

I kinda see Hos's point. Our problem is we don't draft O-linemen high enough. Not we don't develop them Well enough. Not sure why we dont spend higher pics on them more often when they're obviously breaking down and getting older ie Colombo, Bigg, Kosier. I think it's Jerry's own personal bias. Just Jerry. I hope T Smith is the beginning of a new trend. A Jerry revelation.

ala "Wow. We really need to have high quality offensive and defensive linemen on the Cowboys. I thought we could get by just drafting low and developing these guys but NO. That philosophy slowly erodes the quality of the team overall. I've learned the error of my ways."

Now wouldn't that be great if he started drafting like the Steelers, Giants and the Packers, etc.. from the inside out? instead of vice versa?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I have a feeling Brewster was one of those guys that was not working out and got fat-or fatter.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Starting to wonder what Hudson Houck is bringing to the table. I recall Brewster was his hand picked guy. I also recall Jerry saying Houck was the highest paid OL coach in the NFL. I am sure this was done with him developing who we have in house..and assisting in the drafting of OL. We are simply wretched when it comes to drafting/developing OL. Free seems to be the one exception in the last 10 years!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
bbailey423;4008600 said:
Starting to wonder what Hudson Houck is bringing to the table. I recall Brewster was his hand picked guy. I also recall Jerry saying Houck was the highest paid OL coach in the NFL. I am sure this was done with him developing who we have in house..and assisting in the drafting of OL. We are simply wretched when it comes to drafting/developing OL. Free seems to be the one exception in the last 10 years!
They all miss on guys. Now on Brewster it seems they got too cute with thinking they could rebuild the guy's whole body and forgot that he was the one who got his body that way in the first place. The weird thing is they never tried him at OG which is where most thought he needed to play.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Nightshade;4008580 said:
I kinda see Hos's point. Our problem is we don't draft O-linemen high enough. Not we don't develop them Well enough. Not sure why we dont spend higher pics on them more often when they're obviously breaking down and getting older ie Colombo, Bigg, Kosier. I think it's Jerry's own personal bias. Just Jerry. I hope T Smith is the beginning of a new trend. A Jerry revelation.

ala "Wow. We really need to have high quality offensive and defensive linemen on the Cowboys. I thought we could get by just drafting low and developing these guys but NO. That philosophy slowly erodes the quality of the team overall. I've learned the error of my ways."

Now wouldn't that be great if he started drafting like the Steelers, Giants and the Packers, etc.. from the inside out? instead of vice versa?

Absolutely agree about not using enough picks and high enough picks on the O line. Jerruh almost bragged about that. UGH.

burmafrd

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4008606 said:
They all miss on guys. Now on Brewster it seems they got too cute with thinking they could rebuild the guy's whole body and forgot that he was the one who got his body that way in the first place. The weird thing is they never tried him at OG which is where most thought he needed to play.

I think they did try him there for a while; at least I think they did.

burmafrd

Reaction score
We got Hotel and LA from basically the staff and scouts that we used to build the team to begin with. But after that they were gone. Since then we have developed a grand total of two starters in Gurode and Free. Has any other team done that poorly?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
burmafrd;4008469 said:
Peterman.

Almost forgot about him.

I think you forgot Al Johnson (2nd round)!!!