so no brewster and Bright either.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;4008469 said:
Peterman.

Almost forgot about him.

Still makes no difference as regards the fact we do not develope O linemen.

Over the last 16 years we had 4: Allen, The Hotel, Gurode and now Free.

Show me another NFL team that has been THAT POOR at developing O line.
Show me another team who has avoided a 1st round OL.

You are in a panic over nothing. I get it, it's what you are trying to hang your hat on but the fact of the matter is Dallas has not made OL a draft priority. They have preferred to operate through free agency.

I can even understand 2nd round busts, but we've simply not gone OL in the Draft. Therefore it is stupid to say we cannot develop OL. We have focused elsewhere. That is not cannot, that is have not.

Whining about UDFAs and 7th round picks was pathetic.But the fact of the matter if you miss on an OL player 4th round and later it is not a big damned deal.

Oh, and the word is develop. There's no E at the end.

Reaction score
Geez,,,whatever evaluation/coaching philosophy they are using for offensive linemen needs to be scrapped immediately and completely. They are just wasting time, money and draft picks with what they are doing now :mad:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4008894 said:
No, you are the one confused. I've heard Goose explain that his rankings are based on a consensus of gms and scouts opinions on players. If only one team thinks he's a top 100 player he is not going to make the list.

That "consensus" focuses on where the guys are going to be picked. When you know a club is targeting someone with their 3rd or early 4th round pick and may even move up to get him, he ends up on the list. That is exactly why Brewster was up there -- he knew Dallas was going to get him

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
speedkilz88;4008900 said:
He was around 305 which is plenty big, he lost a lot of weight after the surgery.

He reported in 2004 at 302 pounds. I suppose that constitutes weight loss from 305, but not significant. His heaviest playing weight topped out at around 305 in his career. Dallas liked the heavier O-linemen back in 2004. Every player on theline outweighed Johnson by 20+ pounds. Gurode (326), Larry Allen (335), Flozell (345), Tucker (329). Road Graders. Al Johnson simply was not that type of player, even in college. Strange choice given the way they utilized their linemen at that time.

silver

Reaction score
We have to give the staff credit for developing Kosier and Columbo who were hardly household names when we signed them. And developing a starting LT in the NFL out of a 4th rounder more than makes up for the failing of the other mentioned players.

Also Proctor was not a failure considering he gave us a bunch of snaps and we invested nothing on the guy.

Reaction score
silver;4009065 said:
We have to give the staff credit for developing Kosier and Columbo who were hardly household names when we signed them. And developing a starting LT in the NFL out of a 4th rounder more than makes up for the failing of the other mentioned players.

Also Proctor was not a failure considering he gave us a bunch of snaps and we invested nothing on the guy.

lol, I can't decide whether you're being sarcastic or not. When you're signing a pro free agent there should be a next to zero failure rate,,, and Columbo/Kosier are only household names because they play for the Cowboys, neither one of them has been exceptional by any stretch of the imagination.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
So where does the OL go from here? Now we need to repalce some starters and much of the depth (which needed upgrading anyway). if we do that in free agency now - which we'll have to do - then will there be money left to sign a S?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Hostile;4008987 said:
Show me another team who has avoided a 1st round OL.

You are in a panic over nothing. I get it, it's what you are trying to hang your hat on but the fact of the matter is Dallas has not made OL a draft priority. They have preferred to operate through free agency.

I can even understand 2nd round busts, but we've simply not gone OL in the Draft. Therefore it is stupid to say we cannot develop OL. We have focused elsewhere. That is not cannot, that is have not.

Whining about UDFAs and 7th round picks was pathetic.But the fact of the matter if you miss on an OL player 4th round and later it is not a big damned deal.

Oh, and the word is develop. There's no E at the end.

Hoss, you really are funny. Proof is on the field. We not only did not draft enough, but we could not develope anyone either. You can try and somehow excuse it away, but no team has a poorer record of drafting and developing its O line as the Boys have had over the last 10 years or so.

Gurode was a 2nd rd pick. the Hotel was a 2nd rd pick as was LA. Smith is a first and we hope works out. Free is the ONLY STARTING LINEMAN we have developed. The ONLY ONE. So proof once again is on the field; we cannot develope O line.

burmafrd

Reaction score
silver;4009065 said:

Developing. what a joke. Really a joke. They were both veterans; and Kosier was a starter with Detroit before he came here. Colombo was rehabing his knee; nothing to develope there.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4009008 said:
That "consensus" focuses on where the guys are going to be picked. When you know a club is targeting someone with their 3rd or early 4th round pick and may even move up to get him, he ends up on the list. That is exactly why Brewster was up there -- he knew Dallas was going to get him
I've heard him say that is not true. His goal is to have the best 100 players ranked not to predict the first 100 taken. The Cowboys didn't even know they were going to draft Brewster in the 3rd round that year until they traded down in the 2nd. There original target in the 2nd round was Max Unger and Seattle traded above them to get him. There next guy they had was Phil Loadholdt and they would have taken him if it wasn't for the trade down they made.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
burmafrd;4009231 said:
Hoss, you really are funny. Proof is on the field. We not only did not draft enough, but we could not develope anyone either. You can try and somehow excuse it away, but no team has a poorer record of drafting and developing its O line as the Boys have had over the last 10 years or so.

Gurode was a 2nd rd pick. the Hotel was a 2nd rd pick as was LA. Smith is a first and we hope works out. Free is the ONLY STARTING LINEMAN we have developed. The ONLY ONE. So proof once again is on the field; we cannot develope O line.
WARNING!!!! Be careful using RESULTS as a barometer.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
speedkilz88;4009289 said:
I've heard him say that is not true. His goal is to have the best 100 players ranked not to predict the first 100 taken. The Cowboys didn't even know they were going to draft Brewster in the 3rd round that year until they traded down in the 2nd. There original target in the 2nd round was Max Unger and Seattle traded above them to get him. There next guy they had was Phil Loadholdt and they would have taken him if it wasn't for the trade down they made.

And again, I'd be willing to bet Goose's contacts with the Cowboys are as weak as with any team in the league. People assume that because he's based in Dallas he has good sources here, but I think it's just the opposite.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4009488 said:
And again, I'd be willing to bet Goose's contacts with the Cowboys are as weak as with any team in the league. People assume that because he's based in Dallas he has good sources here, but I think it's just the opposite.

Perhaps his contacts are weak, but his comb-over is strong.

41591_102792363114314_6529_n.jpg

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4009028 said:
He reported in 2004 at 302 pounds. I suppose that constitutes weight loss from 305, but not significant. His heaviest playing weight topped out at around 305 in his career. Dallas liked the heavier O-linemen back in 2004. Every player on theline outweighed Johnson by 20+ pounds. Gurode (326), Larry Allen (335), Flozell (345), Tucker (329). Road Graders. Al Johnson simply was not that type of player, even in college. Strange choice given the way they utilized their linemen at that time.
Do you even realize that Mark Stepnoski was 269 when the Cowboys actually had true roadgraders?

burmafrd

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4009566 said:
Do you even realize that Mark Stepnoski was 269?

The age is past where such a small Center can get it done. And he was a MASTER at leverage and the like.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
burmafrd;4009569 said:
The age is past where such a small Center can get it done. And he was a MASTER at leverage and the like.
He's the one trying to say Johnson wasn't a good fit with those roadgraders when the best roadgrading team we ever had was with a 269 pound center. Johnson was plenty big and compares to most centers still today he just lost weight, muscle, and strength after his microfracture surgery.

burmafrd

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4009603 said:
He's the one trying to say Johnson wasn't a good fit with those roadgraders when the best roadgrading team we ever had was with a 269 pound center. Johnson was plenty big and compares to most centers still today he just lost weight, muscle, and strength after his microfracture surgery.

Step was a real rare one; he spent years learning how to leverage and the like. It takes time to learn. When he started out he was small but not that small. By the time he retired even he admitted that no one his size had a chance anymore. For a 300 lb guy on the O line anywhere you would have to be tremendously strong and a master of leverage. Neither of which comes quickly or easily.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4008736 said:
You reflect a common misconception about Goose's top 100. He isn't ranking the best guys, he is projecting who gets picked top 100. Goose clearly had information that we were taking Brewster so he put him in the top 100. He did the same think with Arkin this year.
Forgot to respond to this wrong assumption also. The Cowboys had pick 110 in the fourth round. If Goose put Arkin in the Top 100 because he knew the Cowboys were going to take him at 110 then he's an idiot. That didn't help him at all.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4009566 said:
Do you even realize that Mark Stepnoski was 269 when the Cowboys actually had true roadgraders?
Yes and Step was a great player. His heyday was a decade prior to drafting Al Johnson when the dominant amount of teams used smaller quicker 4-3 linemen. Stepnoski was a brilliant technician, freakishly stong and tenacious for his size. His reputation in college carried over well into the pro game. If we had drafted a 300 pound Stepnoski in 2002 we would have been happy.

But, we drafted a 300 pound Al Johnson. If you are going to play without power, then you need to at least have size. Al did not end up with either and it was why he was just average at best.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4009289 said:

I'd sure say the same if I wanted to push my image. But, come on, you get news that we are taking Brewster in the third if he's there. We had pick 101 and a million low round picks. Either way it means you know he's very likely ending up going top 100

You can't tell me that he doesn't flesh out his last 10 or so with guys like that