So "they're" saying that the Cowboys are having a horrible off season

Hadenough

Reaction score
Poor Rock. The kid gave it everything he had but at the end of the day it was just too much to overcome. To get pounded like he did day after day and yet keep coming back was "Rocky" like admirable. I sincerely hope he has found something better to do with the time and energy that he used to expend in here. Life's too short. Here's to Rockport, his new hobbies and his new lease on life.

The lessen here of course, is this: Under the Joneses, the Cowboys should always be a hobby and never a passion...like they used to be.

If we all emotionally invest ourselves like Rock did...the Joneses will sap the life out of us too.
I don't blame Rock for getting outta here.i actually admire that he has the strength to do what I should of done in 2012 after that Romo choke fest to WFT in a win and your in game. Instead of leaving I've made it my mission to criticize the weak parts of this team. History is repeating itself with Dak and he is the new choker of the Cowboys.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Oh really let's take a look...
1. Resigned Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn = Win
2. Reworked Lawrence's contract = Win
3. Franchised Schultz because they had to because of Jarwin's injury = Win
4. Got rid of a penalty feast of an O-line in Connor Williams = Win
5. Resigned a two solid safeties in Wilson and Kearse = Win
6. Traded Cooper who is injured a lot, disappears in road games, and they save cap space = Win
7. Let a headcase in Gregory walk who get more offside penalties than sacks =Win
8. Restructured both Dak Prescott and Zack Martin's contracts to save 22 million in cap space =Win
9. Let go of an aging kicker who misses a lot of chip shots = Win
So if this is a horrible off season then I'd love to see what a good offseason looks like because so far they've made a lot of changes for the better.

I respect the effort you put into this post— but there is a significant flaw in the logic:

Resigning your own players who were unable to succeed last year is merely maintaining the status quo. The front office perceives signing guys like Armstrong, Hooker, and Schultz as “free agency wins” but they are merely treading water in terms of talent at those respective positions.

The front office is making some serious assumptions that Lamb can fill Cooper’s role, Gallup’s health will be alright, and Washington can fill Wilson’s role.

On defense, they are assuming they will get better production from Armstrong through development, and that Fowler can bring the athleticism that Gregory brought.

In order for Dallas’ plan to work— every current player on the roster has to improve on their performance from last year, and they will need starting caliber players that can contribute immediately from at least 3 draft picks.

Obviously, not every player improves, injuries happen, some players performance/production actually declines as they age etc…

Bottom line— the front office is putting a premium on “cap management” and crossing their fingers that every single one of their long bets are going to work out.

It’s a fantasy and delusion, and no responsible or competent front office would employ it as a “strategy”.

While Stephen glad-hands himself for his “cap saving” maneuvers… don’t forget who signed the players to those deals to begin with lol

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Poor Rock. The kid gave it everything he had but at the end of the day it was just too much to overcome. To get pounded like he did day after day and yet keep coming back was "Rocky" like admirable. I sincerely hope he has found something better to do with the time and energy that he used to expend in here. Life's too short. Here's to Rockport, his new hobbies and his new lease on life.

The lessen here of course, is this: Under the Joneses, the Cowboys should always be a hobby and never a passion...like they used to be.

If we all emotionally invest ourselves like Rock did...the Joneses will sap the life out of us too.
Not wanting to sound like I'm victim shaming, but his subjective views on every Dak topic did kind of indicate that he loved it.
His Redzone thread is still the epitome of 'When threads go wrong'.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I respect the effort you put into this post— but there is a significant flaw in the logic:

Resigning your own players who were unable to succeed last year is merely maintaining the status quo. The front office perceives signing guys like Armstrong, Hooker, and Schultz as “free agency wins” but they are merely treading water in terms of talent at those respective positions.

The front office is making some serious assumptions that Lamb can fill Cooper’s role, Gallup’s health will be alright, and Washington can fill Wilson’s role.

On defense, they are assuming they will get better production from Armstrong through development, and that Fowler can bring the athleticism that Gregory brought.

In order for Dallas’ plan to work— every current player on the roster has to improve on their performance from last year, and they will need starting caliber players that can contribute immediately from at least 3 draft picks.

Obviously, not every player improves, injuries happen, some players performance/production actually declines as they age etc…

Bottom line— the front office is putting a premium on “cap management” and crossing their fingers that every single one of their long bets are going to work out.

It’s a fantasy and delusion, and no responsible or competent front office would employ it as a “strategy”.

While Stephen glad-hands himself for his “cap saving” maneuvers… don’t forget who signed the players to those deals to begin with lol
Classic case of over rating players.

Makes sense, because they aren't qualified to do it.

Yeah, LVE at 3m is a bargain, but how are we getting better there?

Answer....we aren't. They always do all they can to bring back those who failed. I guess they figure they just got unlucky.

I get on these rants then realize a couple things.....like if they continue to feature Dak as a passer it won't matter....and even if they don't, our staff will find a way to be severely outdone in big spots.

So there's times when problems numbers 8 and 9 don't even cross my mind lol.

75boyz

Reaction score

This summary describes in perfect detail how hope is not a strategy. Outstanding post.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
This summary describes in perfect detail how hope is not a strategy. Outstanding post.

“hope is not a strategy” — facts.

And planning on ground beef becoming filet mignon is not a plan. Lol.

Jerry and Stephen love to sprinkle their fairy pixie hope dust over their moves and trust the football gods to use alchemy and transform JAGs into superstars

75boyz

Reaction score
“hope is not a strategy” — facts.

And planning on ground beef becoming filet mignon is not a plan. Lol.

Jerry and Stephen love to sprinkle their fairy pixie hope dust over their moves and trust the football gods to use alchemy and transform JAGs into superstars

And then to absolutely top it all off...

To say failure wasn't because of the talent that He provided.

And actually believe that.
Thus setting up the never ending Head Coach or coordinator scapegoating to explain away the team's lack of success.

While he was the one that hired these "any one in 500 could win with the talent I bring in coaches."

Just a vicious and crazy continuing cycle.

Like clockwork I tell ya.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

The flaw in your post is that it's in essense bringing back the same team and you haven't factored in that you'd have no CAP money left.
We should have a roster where every player improves ...if CeeDee doesn't step up, then when does he, or do we just extend him as a WR2.
Osa, Joseph and Gallimore are players that we'd expect to break through (and it appears they're high on Armstrong).
We also have $22m CAP to spend, now if we were certain of the BPA's in rd's 1 and 2 of the draft we could already be looking at spending (spending money's not our problem....however, its quite conceivable we draft a: C, G, T, DE, LB or WR in first two rounds. Indeed, all those positions (bar Centre) may well available in either round.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
And then to absolutely top it all off...

To say failure wasn't because of the talent that He provided.

And actually believe that.
Thus setting up the never ending Head Coach or coordinator scapegoating to explain away the team's lack of success.

While he was the one that hired these "any one in 500 scapegoated coaches."

Just a vicious and crazy continuing cycle.

Like clockwork I tell ya.

Preach

jay94

Reaction score
6. Traded Cooper who is injured a lot, disappears in road games, and they save cap space = Win
7. Let a headcase in Gregory walk who get more offside penalties than sacks =Win
8. Restructured both Dak Prescott and Zack Martin's contracts to save 22 million in cap space =Win
So if this is a horrible off season then I'd love to see what a good offseason looks like because so far they've made a lot of changes for the better.

There is no "so" about it. They could have signed a FA tight end that is better than Scholtz. Wilson being a solid starter, is a bias, he's average/slightly above. Your talking about peanuts for a kicker, and it has yet to be seen if it will be a win or loss. This out of watching Cowboys for the past 20 years, easily the worst offseason, they have had, especially when they are supposed to be a team in the hunt.

You can just look at Dak's stats with and without Cooper and see a huge statistical anomaly. We haven't replaced Conner Williams besides the penalties was a good starter. Now Dak has to carry a bigger load. I have my doubts that he can do it, I hope I'm wrong. Out of 9 points you have 2, and it takes more than coaches to win championships, also if we do nothing with the cap space, is 2 even a win?

Reactions: CWR

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The flaw in your post is that it's in essense bringing back the same team and you haven't factored in that you'd have no CAP money left.
We should have a roster where every player improves ...if CeeDee doesn't step up, then when does he, or do we just extend him as a WR2.
Osa, Joseph and Gallimore are players that we'd expect to break through (and it appears they're high on Armstrong).
We also have $22m CAP to spend, now if we were certain of the BPA's in rd's 1 and 2 of the draft we could already be looking at spending (spending money's not our problem....however, its quite conceivable we draft a: C, G, T, DE, LB or WR in first two rounds. Indeed, all those positions (bar Centre) may well available in either round.

But the argument that somehow with their cuts and FA additions they are a “better” team in 2022 vs 2021 is a pipe dream.

They have improved their cap figure. I give you that. They have hit on some draft picks— I’ll give you that.

But a guy like Armstrong is stepping back into his previous role. His ceiling is simply not as high due to physical/talent limitations. He is simply not as gifted as a guy like Parsons or even Gregory.

Expecting a hamburger to become a ribeye is nothing more than wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with a hamburger— you need them. It’s all about expectations, roles, and Stephen pretending and Jerry selling that Armstrong and Fowler are somehow together an upgrade over Gregory is flawed logic

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But the argument that somehow with their cuts and FA additions they are a “better” team in 2022 vs 2021 is a pipe dream.

They have improved their cap figure. I give you that. They have hit on some draft picks— I’ll give you that.

But a guy like Armstrong is stepping back into his previous role. His ceiling is simply not as high due to physical/talent limitations. He is simply not as gifted as a guy like Parsons or even Gregory.

Expecting a hamburger to become a ribeye is nothing more than wishful thinking. Nothing wrong with a hamburger— you need them. It’s all about expectations, roles, and Stephen pretending and Jerry selling that Armstrong and Fowler are somehow together an upgrade over Gregory is flawed logic
Nobody has said we're a better team.
Your strawman argument regarding Armstrong... what are we paying him $6m? There maybe a point that we're looking at production for money and age then you also need to factor in the additional saved CAP money.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Stephen Jones is putting forth a determined effort to continue his record of being woefully less than impressive in 2022. :omg:

75boyz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Stephen Jones is putting forth a determined effort to continue his record of being woefully less than impressive in 2022. :omg:

While Stephen shares a role in continuing poor cap manipulation...
the unfortunate reality is that neither last year, this year or next year's roster was/is/will be capable of winning a trophy.

Under this same GM, HC and QB.

Regardless of this cap infatuation so many are trying to blame.

Credit card math with the cap ain't nothing new to this team.

Not having the right people in those 3 positions is the obstacle to overcome.

Last edited:

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

LOL, not "everyone" is drinking Jerry's Kool-Aid. Should know that by now.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Nobody has said we're a better team.
Your strawman argument regarding Armstrong... what are we paying him $6m? There maybe a point that we're looking at production for money and age then you also need to factor in the additional saved CAP money.

The OP ended their post by saying we made a lot of changes for the better. So yes— there are people who think we are better.

And no— my argument regarding Armstrong is not a “strawman” because when Stephen talks about “replacing Gregory’s production” he points to Armstrong and Fowler as “additions”.

Armstrong is merely returning to the same role he filled last year. Fowler is the one truly replacing Gregory.

So in every category except cap money— we are the same or worse than we were last year.

Reactions: CWR

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
While Stephen shares a role in continuing poor cap manipulation...
the unfortunate reality is that neither last year, this year or next year's roster was/is/will be capable of winning a trophy.

Under this same GM, HC and QB.

Regardless of this cap infatuation so many are trying to blame.

Credit card math with the cap ain't nothing new to this team.

Not having the right people in those 3 positions is the obstacle to overcome.

I think I'd include Stephen, our VP, in that list of less-than-productive employees -- although, Dak's glow has faded, too! :eek:

Last edited:

Preoccupied

Reaction score

10. September
11. December*
*12. In the play-offs? Lets hope we are not one and done and manage a deep run** or ***
**13. We are not one and done OMG! Progress.
***14 We are one and done no progress onto year 27? 28? Or is it 29? Of the same old? Return to point 10 attempt in the forthcoming season.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

1. PAT. Its just achieving status quo.
2. BIG LOSS. DFlaw is a cancer to our culture. Reworking his contracts hurts us even more in the future.
3. SMALL WIN. Schultz is a average player. But we were able to keep him. We had nobody else.
4. LOSS. We have nobody to replace him until now.
5. PAT. Nothing lost nothing gained.
6. BIG LOSS.
7. LOSS. Even if Gregory is a head case who replaces him ? We have no plan for that. If the draft pans out this is pure luck.
8. BIG LOSS. Bad QB who we will be bound to and so to more years of mediocrity. Martin shows first signs of regress. To restructure him is not a smart decission. Now is the time to trade him not restructure him. But we are so bound to him because of bad OL management that letting him go is hard to do.
9. LOSS. Who replaces him ?

Remember the judgement of our offseason is a judgement until now. Its not what could be with the upcoming draft or FA after today.

75boyz

Reaction score
1. PAT. Its just achieving status quo.
2. BIG LOSS. DFlaw is a cancer to our culture. Reworking his contracts hurts us even more in the future.
3. SMALL WIN. Schultz is a average player. But we were able to keep him. We had nobody else.
4. LOSS. We have nobody to replace him until now.
5. PAT. Nothing lost nothing gained.
6. BIG LOSS.
7. LOSS. Even if Gregory is a head case who replaces him ? We have no plan for that. If the draft pans out this is pure luck.
8. BIG LOSS. Bad QB who we will be bound to and so to more years of mediocrity. Martin shows first signs of regress. To restructure him is not a smart decission. Now is the time to trade him not restructure him. But we are so bound to him because of bad OL management that letting him go is hard to do.
9. LOSS. Who replaces him ?

Remember the judgement of our offseason is a judgement until now. Its not what could be with the upcoming draft or FA after today.

Count me in on your version of what was a win, loss or pat over the OP's view of offseason success.

Last edited: