Some of y'all will never get it

kskboys

Reaction score
I am fully aware of the job description and responsibilities of the GM, HC and QB1 of an NFL team.
This post is just another attempt to wrap up the blame of team failure into a neat little blame it all on Jerry and be done with it ball.

I just don't let the head coach and starting quarterback off the hook for failing at their jobs like the majority here does. They are the other 2 foundational pieces to NFL team success.

The HC is a SB winner.
The QB is an MVP finalist.

They both failed miserably against Green Bay.
Not Jerry.

Them failing at their jobs has nothing to do with Jerry.
Regardless if Jerry hired or drafted them.
Sigh.

The GM is responsible for hiring the coaches and obtaining players. For someone who claims they know, you surely seem to have missed the definition.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep, there’s a lot of “would have been a first rounder if not for…”

I do think they thought they needed a TE in the last draft. It was not an overall great draft, but TE was deep, and maybe why they decided to pass on LaPorta in the 1st.

Then there was a run and options were dwindling. I didn’t hate it as much as most at the time, but it reeked of desperation.

Joseph was absolutely forced when they didn’t get Surtain or Horn in the first in that year.
Why? Fergie had already shown he could handle being an NFL TE. Why did we need one? That pick makes zero sense. Man was I POed. Especially w/ great needs at OL and DL. We ignored a lot of good players and tons of needs to reach for a 3rd/4th round TE.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh I think most of us get it. Just that you can't do zero about it so we resort to talking about what can be changed and that is the coaches and players. Just holding out hope that we catch lightning in a bottle just one time and make a run. You'd have to have your head buried in the sand at this point to not know the real culprit of the demise for almost 3 decades.

But one issue I do see is so many think this gets better once Jerry steps down/dies. Not even close. Stephen is way worse than Jerry. You don't think Jerry's ego and ignorance has bled through his family blood? The Jones family will never sell.
So you think Stephanie was simply lying when he said he'd hire a GM when he took over?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you think Stephanie was simply lying when he said he'd hire a GM when he took over?
Right .. there’s been no indications Son has the same ambitions as his Daddy had in becoming the face of the franchise and a celebrity football guy.

In addition he’ll have two siblings with equal share to answer to. Something Daddy didn’t have to answer to anyone.

Expect Son to take over Pres title but not GM. He’ll still over see football operations but they’ll place someone else’s head in the chopping block to hold responsible.

kskboys

Reaction score
Right .. there’s been no indications Son has the same ambitions as his Daddy had in becoming the face of the franchise and a celebrity football guy.

In addition he’ll have two siblings with equal share to answer to. Something Daddy didn’t have to answer to anyone.

Expect Son to take over Pres title but not GM. He’ll still over see football operations but they’ll place someone else’s head in the chopping block to hold responsible.
I really don't understand why people think Stephanie will be the same as Jerry. There have been zero indications that he will be similar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. I don't trust anything from that family. I hope I'm wrong but people in those positions give a ton of lip service.
Despite however much we despise the Jone$ clan, Jethro has been amazingly forthcoming and brutally honest of his intentions.

Assuming he’s going to leave the franchise to his 3 children equally which it could go to his wife first then I think we can expect football operations to be run a little differently.

His wife years ago shared that it was her wish that her kids wouldn’t place themselves in the same spotlight and pressure their father has.

Remember this was Jethro’s passion to be a celebrity football guy since his days at Arkansas. He just didn’t want to be in a position he’d have to answer to anyone like a VP, GM or HC does.

The 3 siblings will be in a different circumstance unless we think one will buy out the others. If Stephen ends up wanting the power and unaccountable situation then the others might want out or could even force a sale.

But I expect Stephen to take the Pres position, still over seeing football operations and then hire a GM and or VP so they have someone they can hold directly accountable . Stephen can still insert his oversight on contracts and personnel but take a more normal backseat approach as owners.

75boyz

Reaction score
Sigh.

The GM is responsible for hiring the coaches and obtaining players. For someone who claims they know, you surely seem to have missed the definition.
Look,
In my rawest form I'm an equal opportunity hater of all 3 position holders.
The GM sucks at roster construction.
The HC and QB both suck at playoff football.

I'm not of the one size fits all narrative to come back and blame the whole team failure mess on the GM just because he hired or drafted them.

I still require a level of responsibility for doing your job when you're a former SB winning head coach and an MVP candidate QB.
They did not do their jobs against GB.

Some hold the GM responsible for this.

I don't.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hire this coach! Sign this free agent! Draft this guy! It's not about a guy here or there with this team, it starts at the top. It's a dysfunctional organization.

Jerry and Stephen Jones are unique. No other NFL team has the owner as GM and his son as Director of Player Personnel. This has been the arrangement in Dallas for 28 years. They have won four wild card games. That's it. That's all they have to show for it. They've fired more head coaches than playoff wins in that time.
I have a feeling if we all really knew how dysfunctional it really is, it would infuriate us completely.

Jerry Jones is a part-time GM. Everyone knows this. Stephen Jones is his incompetent Personnel guy who honestly does not know the players in the league, nor does he talk to people that do.

Who is the equivalent of what Al Davis was to Jerry Jones when he first bought the team? Who does he confide in and get advice from? If there is such a person

Why did trading suddenly drop out of our DNA after Coach Johnson was fired? We all know the answer.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have a feeling if we all really knew how dysfunctional it really is, it would infuriate us completely.
Of course because you need something other than empirical proof for your outrage: just get up in arms about things that could be happening.

Interesting take on the trade thing given the last trade of that era was for Everett which Jones brokered pretty famously.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Look,

I'm not of the one size fits all narrative to come back and blame the whole team failure mess on the GM just because he hired or drafted them.

I still require a level of responsibility for doing your job when you're a former SB winning head coach and an MVP candidate QB.

I don't.
just blame Jerry it absolves everybody's play and they can just show up and pick up a check. LMAO.......interception, blame Jerry. Jerry should have thrown that ball better.
Hell, this is like the excuses one player gets year-round.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe in 5-6 years or so when Jerry isn’t fit to speak in public the kids will back off and hire someone to run things.
It would be logical for all observers to at least consider the 'or so' and/or 'isn't fit'. Jerry Jones is old. He is not infirm or near death. He talks funny but he is not suffering dementia, which some people insistently refer to him as being senile.

Jones' particular mindset has demonstrated he does not limit himself to what others might think of him. He is also a billionaire many times over. Becoming non ambulatory does not prevent him from getting around in the most costly custom built wheelchair the world has ever seen.

His family cannot easily remove him from running the franchise unless they can legally prove he is mentally incompetent. Jones is not a football genius but he is unquestionably business shrewd. I have little doubt he has directed his attorneys to fight any attempt by his family or anyone to usurp his authority to act independently as he deems fit based upon the assumption of mental fitness. And he has the financial resource of making a family battle for his throne last indefinitely.

Five or six years may be exactly right. Jones could get hit by a bus tomorrow, just like anyone else dumb enough to cross a street without looking. Life expectancy is not the same for everyone.

It should be important for anyone to think of this real life Star Trek analogy: "Mr. Spock died of COPD at age 83, while Captain Kirk is trying to go up into space again, nearly three years after doing so at age 90."

Just food for thought.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Well that statement kind of contradicts itself. If Jerry is not involved, who is preventing McCarthy from making decisions as the Head Coach?

So Jr has assumed Jeruh's role?
That's what Broadus and others are reporting. They say Stephen makes the personnel decisions, and they made fun of him during the draft when he got a call about a trade for a player they all knew, and Stephen asked "Who is that?" Then said he'd call the guy back, but never did and never asked anyone about the player being offered.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Look,

I don't.
this is a 100% true statement, but it needs to be pointed out that its true about every coach and player on the team and over multiple decades..no one played in that GB game..if it was a 1 player/coach failure over 1 tenure, then yeah replace that player/coach. Can you honestly say this has only happened with MM and Dak? How many "Chokers" have left this org and won with another one? those were the lucky chokers i guess...

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's what Broadus and others are reporting. They say Stephen makes the personnel decisions, and they made fun of him during the draft when he got a call about a trade for a player they all knew, and Stephen asked "Who is that?" Then said he'd call the guy back, but never did and never asked anyone about the player being offered.
Embarrassing.

75boyz

Reaction score
just blame Jerry it absolves everybody's play and they can just show up and pick up a check. LMAO.......interception, blame Jerry. Jerry should have thrown that ball better.
Hell, this is like the excuses one player gets year-round.
It truly is Cap.
It can easily become the Just Blame Jerry punchline around here for every single on field performance flaw by any player or coach.

He's got a larger portion of the blame no doubt.

But,
It's like the lines of responsibility have become blurred.

I mean, was Jerry responsible for having the team prepared to play the Packers or the Head Coach?

Like I've said, I think all 3 suck at their jobs. So for this current GM, HC and QB blame pie it's a 50%-Jerry, 25%-McCheese and 25%-Dak.

But opinions will always vary I guess.

I'll start responding almost every post now with Just Blame Jerry, LOL