Some people need to stop this Troy wasn't elite take

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
Yes. So you believe Romo had a similar supporting cast?
No I don’t. I think the Dallas teams of the 90’s were amongst the best ever. Troy was a big reason for that. He played the most important position on those teams. To compare Romo to Aikman is laughable. Comparing stats from QBs who played in different eras is a fool’s errand.

ICP

Reaction score
If any are saying that, I would think they probably aren't old enough to have seen him play.

I've seen Staubach, Aikman, Romo, and Dak. They are all good but as of this point in time I would say only two were elite.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Troy didn't play for stats. He threw the ball away when the play wasn't there and he used his accuracy to give the receiver a chance even when the odds of success were low.

Plus he played in much more physical era. Plays were harder to make. No current QB wants to go back & play in those conditions. Troy would love to be able to play his career now.

You put them on the same field and both of them get it done. Somewhat different styles for sure but I'm confident the numbers would be very similar.
When you are playing with a lead you have the luxury to throw it away. When you have Emmitt Smith and our OLine in the 90's you could run out the clock.

That was not the case with Romo. If you are a Cowboy fan, you should clearly understand that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No I don’t. I think the Dallas teams of the 90’s were amongst the best ever. Troy was a big reason for that. He played the most important position on those teams. To compare Romo to Aikman is laughable. Comparing stats from QBs who played in different eras is a fool’s errand.
Comparing their rosters is beyond laughable.

You must believe Romo would not have won a SB with Troy' supporting cast and Troy would have won with Romo's supporting cast.

Now that is funny.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Romo and Dak played lesser opponents than the 1990s Cowboys dynasty.

Even with a Cowboys record 13 pro bowlers, Romo and the Cowboys did not win 1 playoff game in 2007.
Yep. Troy had to lead Dallas through the previous two SB champs in his own division, the team of the 1980s who weren't done yet, and the only team to ever go to 4 straight SBs. It was the toughest road any QB has ever had to face to win SBs.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

You must believe Romo would not have won a SB with Troy' supporting cast and Troy would have won with Romo's supporting cast.

Now that is funny.
What's funny is you thinking a choke artist like Romo wouldn't blow it with Troy's teams. If Romo was so great he would have gotten more done besides blow it all the time. Maybe don't fumble snaps on gimme FGs for one.

Legend

Reaction score
Troy Aikman had a passer rating of 88.3 with 3,849 yards, 23 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 16 games in the playoffs in his career.
+ 3 SBs and 1 SB MVP. 111.7 passer rating in SBs.

More SBs than:

Favre, Young, Kelly, Elway, Marino, Moon, Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Warner, and etcetera

Legend

Reaction score

Now that is funny.
Aikman is in the HOF. Romo is not.

A prime Aikman from 1992 could have won a SB or at least 1 playoff game with the 2007 record 13 pro bowlers team.

Due to Romo’s performance in must win games; it is hard for me to see him elevating his game in the playoffs and outplaying Favre 3x, Young 2x, and Kelly 2x in the playoffs from 1992-1995.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me put it to you this way..........................IF Troy was our QB since 2016 we would have a total of 7 SB trophies today.
The End..............

MistyAnn

Reaction score
Aikman
Staubach
were-the-best, in the league and in their era, no question.
White
Romo
Prescott
...all tried-their best to get us there and are among the best in Dallas, Prescott still has a chance to go beyond where these guys got, so far Danny White is the best to date of this bunch.

DStar22

Reaction score
when comparing lets not forget, roughing the passer was NOT as easy on the QB's from Aikman and back... you were going to get hit a LOT back then , and hard.

In lieu of that, other than Staubach, there is no QB for Dallas that was even close to as good as Aikman.. and Aikman wins out imo, due to 3 SB victories, even though I loved me some Staubach.

Staubach might have an edge because the defense actually tried to kill the QB back then... maybe a toss up.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
When you are playing with a lead you have the luxury to throw it away. When you have Emmitt Smith and our OLine in the 90's you could run out the clock.

That was not the case with Romo. If you are a Cowboy fan, you should clearly understand that.
So every game Troy had the lead before he had to throw the ball away?

It was a different era. Mentalities were different. Everyone was taught to protect the ball. Drilled into players from a young age. As rules changed, the mantra slowly switched to take the chances because the rewards can outweigh the risks.

Troy might have been more of a gunslinger had he came along later. But we will never know. We just know what he was "live for another down" as he has said many times.

PS - I'm not knocking Romo or anyone else, I'm just saying that Troy's stats aren't comparable to more modern players for reasons other than talent.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You dorks perpetuate the misnomer; the Cowboys won three Super Bowl rings in the 90s not Aikman.

kskboys

Reaction score

Now that is funny.
Possible in 07 or 09.

For the most part, Romo had a crapp OL and crapp D.

kskboys

Reaction score
when comparing lets not forget, roughing the passer was NOT as easy on the QB's from Aikman and back... you were going to get hit a LOT back then , and hard.

In lieu of that, other than Staubach, there is no QB for Dallas that was even close to as good as Aikman.. and Aikman wins out imo, due to 3 SB victories, even though I loved me some Staubach.

Staubach might have an edge because the defense actually tried to kill the QB back then... maybe a toss up.
Meredith is right up there w/ them. It's really those 3 and then everyone else.