Twitter: Some Sturm tweets on Wentz

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Lynch>Wentz

Lynch has the better arm. More mobile. Younger...23-21....(taller...better to see down field).

Right now, I prefer Lynch, but I think Wentz has more zip on his passes. Both could easily heave it 60+ yards down field and can make any throw in the NFL, but I do think it's clear Wentz has more zip. The difference in height and mobility to be honest is negligible imo. Whether you are 6'6 or 6'5, you can see dow field, and I suspect the two will run very similar 40 times.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lynch>Wentz

Lynch has the better arm. More mobile. Younger...23-21....(taller...better to see down field).

Lynch might be better, I don't know.
But no way Lynch has the better arm.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I'm on the wentz bandwagon myself but can I ask what's everyone opinion on paxton lynch

If he had played a better bowl game then he would be talked about as the top Qb,one game should not sway peoples mind but it does even for the scouts.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Right now, I prefer Lynch, but I think Wentz has more zip on his passes. Both could easily heave it 60+ yards down field and can make any throw in the NFL, but I do think it's clear Wentz has more zip. The difference in height and mobility to be honest is negligible imo. Whether you are 6'6 or 6'5, you can see dow field, and I suspect the two will run very similar 40 times.

Wentz's got the quicker release.....which makes his passes seem faster. but I bet if you put them both on the speed gun....lynch has got him.

Reaction score
Wentz and Lynch seem pretty similar: tall, strong arm, can make all the throws and athletic for their size. Neither would be ready on day 1 as the offenses they ran are a far cry from NFL offensive systems.

If it were to come down to these 2, just pick the smartest guy. The guy who thinks best on his feet. The guy you think has the best chance to convert to the NFL. Interviews would be critical to determine these qualities. Even the Wonderlic may make a difference. For a QB you would much rather have a guy who scores a 35 than a guy who scores a 15, all else being equal.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
To be fair, they are 14 months apart, not 2 years as he is suggesting. Wentz just turned 23 on December 30th and Lynch will be 22 before the combine.

Being older is a bit of a plus too imo.

Parcells always wanted the QB who graduated College and there isn't a whole lot of guys who have done well that left College early.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
LOL

Amazing how that changed.

Im not too hyped up about Goff and Lynch myself.

I think Goff is worthy of being a top 10 pick but I worry that he is a bit of a system QB.

Lynch just looks like a late first to early 2nd rounder to me.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Goff, Lynch or Wentz.... If he's going to sit for a couple of years. I'll roll with Lynch. If Romo retires right after the draft. Roll with Goff.. If Goff is gone roll with Wentz..

reddyuta

Reaction score
Wentz and Lynch seem pretty similar: tall, strong arm, can make all the throws and athletic for their size. Neither would be ready on day 1 as the offenses they ran are a far cry from NFL offensive systems.

If it were to come down to these 2, just pick the smartest guy. The guy who thinks best on his feet. The guy you think has the best chance to convert to the NFL. Interviews would be critical to determine these qualities. Even the Wonderlic may make a difference. For a QB you would much rather have a guy who scores a 35 than a guy who scores a 15, all else being equal.

agreed.Romo is so good even with an average arm because he is really smart and never gives up on a play,always a good idea to go with the smartest Qb.

jchap2k

Reaction score
Another plus for Wentz is he played quite a bit under center in a more pro style offense. I think he would be more comfortable with the NFL game, assuming he gets use to its speed.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Another plus for Wentz is he played quite a bit under center in a more pro style offense. I think he would be more comfortable with the NFL game, assuming he gets use to its speed.

That is the one box he cannot check. The speed of the game might be his biggest learning curve.

Per his own comments, plus other things I have read, he is used to checking down, adjusting protections and can read coverages.

He is not your spoon fed spread system QB who is used to scripted throws, next to no playbook and little responsibility at the LOS before the snap.

Granted that is against a lower caliber of athlete.

bodi

Reaction score
Lynch>Wentz

hold it so that one little inch is going to make the difference - if there is any difference you know how schools always put bigger down - where's the tape on Kellen Moore

Wentz rushed for over 600 + yards in 2014

Go watch him against any good team and tell me how he did. He's overrated." That's what one college scouting director told me this week about Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch. Games against Ole Miss and Houston would definitely back up this statement.

North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz led the Bison to his second straight FCS title (five straight for the team, two for Wentz as a starter) this season. I reached out to get a feeling on Wentz's draft stock after the game, and one high-level AFC scout told me he's the No. 1 quarterback on their board, even though they don't expect him to be around when they pick late in the first round.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Being older is a bit of a plus too imo.

Parcells always wanted the QB who graduated College and there isn't a whole lot of guys who have done well that left College early.

Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rogers, Cam Newton, Ben Rothlisberger and Andrew Luck off the top of my head. That's what 5 of the top 10-12?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The coaching staff will get a full week with this dude so at least the vetting will be thorough.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The coaching staff will get a full week with this dude so at least the vetting will be thorough.

No question. A great advantage. And plenty of ammo for when/if they pass on him.

Well, Garrett and Wade Wilson had an up close and personal look. They know, okay?

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
If we think that Romo has 3 years left then him being 23 could play a role in their decision making. If you select Lynch he would 24-25 at that time vs Wentz who would be 27-28.