Someone Not in Favor of Mayer at 26

Sydla

Reaction score
That really depends on how good a blocker he is. A legitimate 6th lineman is a hellava weapon to have, then add redzone impact, I think I would disagree, that would be a bust.
A 12th pick at TE needs to be better than a great blocker and red zone guy.

You better hit a home run with that pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Correct you are, and if his vid. dealt specifically with HIS opinion, I wouldn't waste my time posting it. But, he employed athletic metrics configured by someone else so I find somewhat worthwhile.

I think for the most part we all agree that Mayer's test number, 7.65 per this eval., is just what we all expected. It's good, but indicative of a player with an athletic ceiling. This begs the question, is a player of that ilk worth a first round selection when other less coveted (supposedly) TE's in this class have much higher grades? Again, this is strictly a conversation based on one specific athletic test which you may consider hogwash.
-Think the TE's are being pushed up this yr due to the lack of high end talent at the receiver position.
-Mayer in my opinion, is the high floor, low upside pick, where Washington is more the high upside, low floor pick. You are hoping he develops based on his elite testing numbers, where Mayer should be good as soon as he walks on the field.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Both are entertaining. I think Voch posts on this board. YouTube and you guys make the Cowboys fun. The last 30 years have been painful as a Cowboys fan. I am around Raven, Steelers and Eagles fans.
I got married to a woman who is originally from the philly suburbs.

Iago33

Reaction score
Mayer is a safe pick who will play at high level for years. I am fine if he is the pick. Forget Wright he isn't making it to 26. I think Washington will be productive but fans will continually ask why he isn't more productive. I d rather have a Mayer than someone who probably doesn't get a second contract.
“someone who doesn’t get a second contact”—i.e., Bijan?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The discussion around Mayer highlites a very subtle part of the grading process. Seems like everyone agrees he will likely be a productive player and have a nice career but not likely to be a dynamic weapon.

Mayer is being ranked #1 or #2 based on being a "clean" prospect. That would be fine if A) he were more athletic B) the other TE's were less athletic C) you aren't talking about any of them getting taken in the first 40 picks or so.

But the reality is he should be probably be ranked lower when you factor in projections for each player. Not suggesting that production or lack thereof should be overlooked but pretty significant evidence that if you want a TE that is a difference maker you aren't going to get it from a guy with average athletic scores.

In a perfect world, I think most folks would prefer not to draft a TE in the first round. However, this draft seems to be setting up so that the best players available at the back end of round 1 include TE's. So, if you are going to potentially take one at least get your rankings right to begin with. Also, if possible, trade down & take another position then pick your TE later.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
Coming to terms with the idea people just have different expectations when it comes to the draft. I look at Mayer and see a 10 year starter and that's a home run for me at pick 26. Other have conceited he's likely a long time starter, but don't see the upside as enough value to spend 26 on him. Kinda starting to feel like both sides have similar opinions just view the value of pick 26 differently.

The pro-Mayer camp seems to value dependability and floor more. The anti-Mayer camp seems to be all-in on upside. Feel like I've been a jerk to some in the anti-Mayer camp (particularly CATCH17 sorry bud), not sure anyone's changing another's mind. I do think Mayer's upside is considerably higher than some others here (I don't think that upside is as tied to athleticism as many others do), but totally get both sides.

Can't wait to see who we pick. Feels like whatever direction we go in the 1st the fan base could be pretty split on the decision.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
You should learned by now trusting the Canvanugh's/Voch Lombardi's-they are just fans who pretend to think they can evaluate talent. Both hated the Parsons/Tyler selections.
Don't forget to add Strum to that list, he hated the pick. Most of these evaluators haven't even played football before.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
The discussion around Mayer highlites a very subtle part of the grading process. Seems like everyone agrees he will likely be a productive player and have a nice career but not likely to be a dynamic weapon.

Mayer is being ranked #1 or #2 based on being a "clean" prospect. That would be fine if A) he were more athletic B) the other TE's were less athletic C) you aren't talking about any of them getting taken in the first 40 picks or so.

But the reality is he should be probably be ranked lower when you factor in projections for each player. Not suggesting that production or lack thereof should be overlooked but pretty significant evidence that if you want a TE that is a difference maker you aren't going to get it from a guy with average athletic scores.

In a perfect world, I think most folks would prefer not to draft a TE in the first round. However, this draft seems to be setting up so that the best players available at the back end of round 1 include TE's. So, if you are going to potentially take one at least get your rankings right to begin with. Also, if possible, trade down & take another position then pick your TE later.
I think my problem with this line of thinking is the gaps are already closed because of the athleticism thing. If Mayer was a similar athlete to the other guys, they wouldn't be in the same discussion, Mayer would be a top 10 pick. The gap between Mayer's on-field play is very wide with the exception of Kinkaid for the most part.

It's not that they're all similar prospects but some or more athletic than others, it's that Mayer is the superior player with an athleticism disadvantage.

Mayer was ridiculously productive. Even by most former 1st-round TE pick standards. Is he polished and talented enough as a prospect to still be a stud despite not being an elite athlete at the position? I don't think it's crazy to suggest that he can, but totally understand those hesitant to go there.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I get too much of a Schultz vibe from Mayer. Sure he’ll contribute earlier than Schultz did, but I don’t think their games are vastly different.
agree but Mayer is a vastly more willing blocker.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He's totally right. I don't love the RAS as some foolproof recipe for a good player, but for what we want out of the position (yds and TDs), we absolutely need someone who is athletic and Mayer's score is very telling. Mayer is not that guy. Like Cavanaugh says, he's a Schultz. If that's all we want, get LaPorta later in the draft, or just roll with Fergie
Luke Musgrave.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
only if the first name is Oscar and I can hide the taste with mustard, relish, ketchup, onions, and kraut.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Correct you are, and if his vid. dealt specifically with HIS opinion, I wouldn't waste my time posting it. But, he employed athletic metrics configured by someone else so I find somewhat worthwhile.

I think for the most part we all agree that Mayer's test number, 7.65 per this eval., is just what we all expected. It's good, but indicative of a player with an athletic ceiling. This begs the question, is a player of that ilk worth a first round selection when other less coveted (supposedly) TE's in this class have much higher grades? Again, this is strictly a conversation based on one specific athletic test which you may consider hogwash.
Mayer has the highest floor...def not the highest ceiling. So I think you are onto something.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If.you want Mayer, you may as well draft Noah Gindorff later on..

RS12

Reaction score
“someone who doesn’t get a second contact”—i.e., Bijan?
While theoretically Bijan is a one contract player, he is also consensus one of the two best players in the draft. At 26 you cant pass up a talent like that. You give him as many touches as you can and use up what you can during the next five years.

RS12

Reaction score
I am not pounding the table for Mayer but here is the premise of the "dont take him at 26" crowd, they feel the team is going to wind up with some one considerably better at that spot. Unless someone unforseen drops a really long way I am completely unconvinced that happens. Generally speaking I prefer trenches and if I thought there would be a player there who had a long and really productive career ahead of him that would be the better option IMO but right now I dont.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I 100% agree and didn’t need analytics to see he is bad value in round 1 and I think the guy has 10 year starter written all over him and will be really good.

If I’m drafting a TE I want a playmaker not some 1990s check down guy.
As usual your analysis is worth a bag of chips.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Drafting TEs in round 1 does not turn out well more times then not.

He’s nothing special outside of his production which means Jack squat going forward.

If Jake Ferguson and Michael Mayer get the same opportunity I think the production increase from Mayer is minimal at best.
Nothing special outside of his production?

Bwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Which means nothing?

Bwaaaaaa!!!!

Do you even read what you write?

i love mayer! And based only on your opinion he is guaranteed to be a perenial pro bowler.

You hated parsons as well. How did that turn out? Lol