Something weird is going on

ICP

Reaction score
its part of their plan.

If they don’t restructure, they dont need to sign. They are in compliance with being under the cap.

Theyll extend Dak in August and call it a win
And with Daks restructure they should have the room to sign CeeDee and overpay Parsons

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we’re getting rid of Dak do it now. Try to trade him. Release him Denver style. Get on with it. Don’t play it out and have a crappy football team /season. I would much rather watch Lance give it a go than a undermanned team lose and get to 8-9 and be in the middle of the pack drafting….
It's better if he's a post-June 1st cut as you get 34 million of cap to work with.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If they really try and say free agency passed them by because they were working with Dak it would be the single dumbest thing a football team has ever said.

There is no chance they are this stupid and I think they are very stupid.
I think you are giving them too much credit.

This is the same FO that said they wait for people to call them.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The Joneses have always been too concerned about appearances. They want to move on from Dak and Big Mike but they can't financially sever ties with Dak until after this season and the optic of firing a coach coming off three straight 12 win seasons is sure to generate bad press. They can't have that, so what do they do? They stack the deck against them so they seem justified when they blow it up next year. This offseason is the equivalent of Joaquin Phoenix's character stabbing Russell Crowe's character before they fought in Gladiator.
so im to believe that THIS time when they say "We are all in on Dak" they dont mean it like the last 2 times? again you guys are giving them way too much credit for a plan they dont have....is it because they are waiting till the last minute to do the contract? how is that diferent from the other times?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean this respectfully….but what do you find weird about it? You didn’t find it weird last year? Or the year before? Or the year before that? What are they doing differently this year that they haven’t done.
What has been the results of them not doing something different?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Am I the only one thinking that even Booger and Chuckles can't be this stupid, and that there has to be some kind of plan that we aren't seeing. What is going on with all the Coaches contracts, Dork, and the passing on FA's sure has all the signs of a fire sale. If Booger has decided to blow it up and start over, I'd actually have a "little" respect for him....but if he and Chuckles actually think that what they are doing is a winning formula, than they both deserve the 0-17 season that some of us are already praying for. Am I alone on this? Maybe they both are just panicked and feeling overwhelmed....so NOTHING is getting done....I dunno. WEIRD is the only way I can describe it.

Eisen can't figure it out either.

I'd welcome a fire sale over hiding their heads up their....

JBS

Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking that even Booger and Chuckles can't be this stupid, and that there has to be some kind of plan that we aren't seeing. What is going on with all the Coaches contracts, Dork, and the passing on FA's sure has all the signs of a fire sale. If Booger has decided to blow it up and start over, I'd actually have a "little" respect for him....but if he and Chuckles actually think that what they are doing is a winning formula, than they both deserve the 0-17 season that some of us are already praying for. Am I alone on this? Maybe they both are just panicked and feeling overwhelmed....so NOTHING is getting done....I dunno. WEIRD is the only way I can describe it.

You are giving these idiots way too much credit. They’re clueless, they’re hopeless, this is standard operation around here.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Am I the only one thinking that even Booger and Chuckles can't be this stupid
Make a list of every football-related accomplishment they have overseen or signed off on over the past 28 years, as both general manager and director of player personnel, which returned the franchise to championship contending status they once 'shared' with Jimmy Johnson. Then ask yourself the question once more.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone is so surprised and acting like this is something new. It's how they've done business in FA now for over ten years.

In fact I read a statement that said they view last summer's deal for Trevon Diggs as their big move for this year. It's how they think.

And we can blame Dak all we want, he can sign for the vets minimum and this team still isn't spending on players outside the organization. They simply refuse to do it. Unless they draft a guy themselves they are simply not paying them.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone is so surprised and acting like this is something new. It's how they've done business in FA now for over ten years.

In fact I read a statement that said they view last summer's deal for Trevon Diggs as their big move for this year. It's how they think.

And we can blame Dak all we want, he can sign for the vets minimum and this team still isn't spending on players outside the organization. They simply refuse to do it. Unless they draft a guy themselves they are simply not paying them.
this 100%

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I mean this respectfully….but what do you find weird about it? You didn’t find it weird last year? Or the year before? Or the year before that? What are they doing differently this year that they haven’t done.
I think it's so weird because in the past they've at least had stop gap worthy or better guys to fill the voids. This year they have more holes in the roster than usual and total JAGs to fill them. Combine that with a coaching staff on 1 year deals, and a bizarre QB/front office dynamic who is also on a deal about to expire and I agree that it feels different this year.

I get the Cowboys are typically not major free agent players, but it seems odd to me that people don't think this year feels different. Unless the Cowboys start making some moves very soon this is clearly headed to some sort of rebuild, just a matter of how big of one.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Getting ready to sell the team?
Hey , one can dream?

Forneymike

Reaction score
I'm very confused by this board. This team has gone 12-5 the last three years and have had the same FA plan all of those years plus the years before and they do the same thing this year and this board is totally in freak out mode. Do you follow the team or just post stuff that you think without thinking? I think this is the last season for this current group and Jerry is going to give them one more chance to go farther. If they don't, he will get rid of everyone except Micah and Cee Dee. I think he will then give Lance a try and if that fails, he will find another QB and give them a try and if they fail, he will just keep trying. Nothing strange is going on here....status quo...you can either agree or disagree but some of you are so freaked out, you might want to find a hobby or spend more time with your family. This isn't the end of the world.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think it's so weird because in the past they've at least had stop gap worthy or better guys to fill the voids. This year they have more holes in the roster than usual and total JAGs to fill them. Combine that with a coaching staff on 1 year deals, and a bizarre QB/front office dynamic who is also on a deal about to expire and I agree that it feels different this year.

I get the Cowboys are typically not major free agent players, but it seems odd to me that people don't think this year feels different. Unless the Cowboys start making some moves very soon this is clearly headed to some sort of rebuild, just a matter of how big of one.
but what would this rebuild look like? seriously, your looking for a HC/QB/LT/LB/RB with really no Draft capitol..what HC are we talking about comming here with that?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Right I must have missed the years we were in on FA day 1 and 2 the last 10 years...this is groundhog day..with a day 3 RB and LB incomming..we will also draft an RB and LB with an OL..THEN CD and Dak contracts incomming..seem to be standard operating procedure around here so far to me...
What was supposedly different was Jerry running around saying we were all in.
I guess that was the usual fool's gold.
But that's unusually tough to take after the yet again playoff flop.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Make a list of every football-related accomplishment they have overseen or signed off on over the past 28 years, as both general manager and director of player personnel, which returned the franchise to championship contending status they once 'shared' with Jimmy Johnson. Then ask yourself the question once more.
The Trance trade was pretty stupid.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
but what would this rebuild look like? seriously, your looking for a HC/QB/LT/LB/RB with really no Draft capitol..what HC are we talking about comming here with that?
How don't they have draft capital? They have a full 14 picks over the next two years and are not missing any 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounders.

Realistically they could do it a few different ways....

*Full on rebuild, tear it down, and they'd come away with a ton of draft capital. Moving Lamb/Parsons alone most likely nets you 5-7 1st & 2nd round picks over the next couple years. You could also look to flip guys like OSA, Martin, Bland for actual draft capital too, just maybe not 1st rounders.

*Partial rebuild while keeping Dak. This probably means you need to look at trading another asset like a Lamb possibly for a couple of premium picks while also opening up some cap flex

Partial rebuild w/o Dak....eat the cap hit this year and move on allowing them to keep the bulk of their top end guys and having flexibility to be in the free agent market next year. This is a really good plan IF you have a reasonable replacement for Dak. If not this could be a disaster.