Something weird is going on

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Am I the only one thinking that even Booger and Chuckles can't be this stupid, and that there has to be some kind of plan that we aren't seeing. What is going on with all the Coaches contracts, Dork, and the passing on FA's sure has all the signs of a fire sale. If Booger has decided to blow it up and start over, I'd actually have a "little" respect for him....but if he and Chuckles actually think that what they are doing is a winning formula, than they both deserve the 0-17 season that some of us are already praying for. Am I alone on this? Maybe they both are just panicked and feeling overwhelmed....so NOTHING is getting done....I dunno. WEIRD is the only way I can describe it.

Eisen can't figure it out either.

Sadly the Jones boys think very highly of themselves as front office roster builders. They either believe more highly of themselves than they should or do not listen to good advice.

Jerry is a business genius but as a football executive he’s bad. His giggling son is merely a DNA recipient who would not be employed by 31 other teams.

What could possibly go wrong with this formula? lol.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
How don't they have draft capital? They have a full 14 picks over the next two years and are not missing any 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounders.

Realistically they could do it a few different ways....

*Full on rebuild, tear it down, and they'd come away with a ton of draft capital. Moving Lamb/Parsons alone most likely nets you 5-7 1st & 2nd round picks over the next couple years. You could also look to flip guys like OSA, Martin, Bland for actual draft capital too, just maybe not 1st rounders.

*Partial rebuild while keeping Dak. This probably means you need to look at trading another asset like a Lamb possibly for a couple of premium picks while also opening up some cap flex

Partial rebuild w/o Dak....eat the cap hit this year and move on allowing them to keep the bulk of their top end guys and having flexibility to be in the free agent market next year. This is a really good plan IF you have a reasonable replacement for Dak. If not this could be a disaster.
letting Dak walk and getting nothing is a complete fail on the FO in my eyes..maybe its unavoidable but they better at least try..but for a rebuild they will need to move Parson and Lamb to have any chance to replace the QB if Dak plays this year..you wont have a high pick if he does..

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Trance trade was pretty stupid.
Still, hurt over the Lance trade?
Guess deep down you knew when you found out about it that Dakota's days were numbered.
Its ok if Lance can't do it there's always the draft or fa market.
Heck if Rush can go 5-1 how bad can Lance be?????????????
I could beat the Giants man.........who do you think we got under center Dan Marino?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe the big boat sank, and no one cares to go looking.
so no communication to know what to do.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed what is NOT happening?

I haven't heard ANY free agent using the possibility of signing with Dallas in order to get leverage in negotiations elsewhere.

Cowboys were almost always named as a "team he'd like to go to" kind of thing... but not this year.

I guess that bluff doesn't work anymore.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Funny but bet we could take this thread, sa bv e it and bring it back next year at this time and the same thing will happen.

Other than just resigning our own, they have no want to sign high priced free agents from other teams. They are about signing those guys that are $3 million a year guys where they can cut bait at any time. Look for failed 1st round guys because they will be on the roster soon.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
letting Dak walk and getting nothing is a complete fail on the FO in my eyes..maybe its unavoidable but they better at least try..but for a rebuild they will need to move Parson and Lamb to have any chance to replace the QB if Dak plays this year..you wont have a high pick if he does..
Agree on letting Dak walk for nothing. I'd rather them pull the plug now than pretend to be trying to win this year. We are assuming a lot about the QB market for next year though. Maybe Lance is worthy of a shot? IDK. Maybe there is a QB in the draft that lasts into the teens? No clue, but you don't always have to have the 1.1 pick to walk away with a good enough qb to compete.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Still, hurt over the Lance trade?
Guess deep down you knew when you found out about it that Dakota's days were numbered.
Its ok if Lance can't do it there's always the draft or fa market.
Heck if Rush can go 5-1 how bad can Lance be?????????????
I could beat the Giants man.........who do you think we got under center Dan Marino?
But why waste a 4th round pick and $5M? More importantly, why give it to the team you are trying catch up to and gain ground on in your conference?

Why did we not trade for a desperately needed LB instead that could have immediately helped us?

Why give more ammo to a team that has the same amount of SB rings as we have?

Why make this decision without talking to anyone?

This trade was so dumb on some many different levels.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But why waste a 4th round pick and $5M? More importantly, why give it to the team you are trying catch up to and gain ground on in your conference?

Why did we not trade for a desperately needed LB instead that could have immediately helped us?

Why give more ammo to a team that has the same amount of SB rings as we have?

Why make this decision without talking to anyone?

This trade was so dumb on some many different levels.
Lance was traded to replace Dak as our QB 1 probably in 2025.
Can he handle the job we shall see..............

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Agree on letting Dak walk for nothing. I'd rather them pull the plug now than pretend to be trying to win this year. We are assuming a lot about the QB market for next year though. Maybe Lance is worthy of a shot? IDK. Maybe there is a QB in the draft that lasts into the teens? No clue, but you don't always have to have the 1.1 pick to walk away with a good enough qb to compete.
I agree but that to me would look alot like what we have tried the last 2 QB's..to me that really doesnt change much, we have hit on a UDFA QB and a 4th round..who both turned out to be basically best in class? (not sure about Romo's class off the top of my head)

Kwyn

Reaction score
Am I the only one thinking that even Booger and Chuckles can't be this stupid, and that there has to be some kind of plan that we aren't seeing. What is going on with all the Coaches contracts, Dork, and the passing on FA's sure has all the signs of a fire sale. If Booger has decided to blow it up and start over, I'd actually have a "little" respect for him....but if he and Chuckles actually think that what they are doing is a winning formula, than they both deserve the 0-17 season that some of us are already praying for. Am I alone on this? Maybe they both are just panicked and feeling overwhelmed....so NOTHING is getting done....I dunno. WEIRD is the only way I can describe it.

I agree. It does feel different.

I’ve been on board with a rebuild and the way things are set as of *today* is what I would expect if that was the plan

• Coaches all on one year deals
  • Dak not extended
  • No splashy big money free agents with long deals
  • No attempts to retain mid-range players in free agency
  • No trades of draft capital other than Lance last year
Honestly, I’m trying to find a reason for why these things are all in place that doesn’t look like a potential rebuild.

So far, the only thing that blows that theory is that the Joneses are incapable of making a plan or it’s just a really bad, confusing version of what they’ve done in the past.

But, I can’t recall the last time they hit all five of those bullets in a single off season before at this late stage.

It all depends on what they do with Dak.

I would love the chaos of the board if Jerry actually did attempt a rebuild and included the following

• Let Dak play the year as a lame duck
  • Trade any combination of Micah, CeeDee, Bland or Diggs
The folks who have been screaming for “blow it up” and “anyone but Dak” would lose their minds and really have to do some mental gymnastics to set aside all their previous demands.

I can’t wait and I hope it plays out the way I’d like.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think it's so weird because in the past they've at least had stop gap worthy or better guys to fill the voids. This year they have more holes in the roster than usual and total JAGs to fill them. Combine that with a coaching staff on 1 year deals, and a bizarre QB/front office dynamic who is also on a deal about to expire and I agree that it feels different this year.

I get the Cowboys are typically not major free agent players, but it seems odd to me that people don't think this year feels different. Unless the Cowboys start making some moves very soon this is clearly headed to some sort of rebuild, just a matter of how big of one.
It’s day 2. They are never active on day 2. They are literally following their blueprint to the T. The blueprint that doesn’t work.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
it is the same thing as every other year

if they spended money that would be weird this is just normal

bringing back mccarthy after his entire team and coaching staff do not show up for the playoffs already told u how serious about winning these 2 bum are
It wasn’t just that they lost. They got blown off the field by the other team. Like they weren’t even playing the same sport. Like they asked the basketball team to scrimmage the football team. Liek if my great aunt was drunk and was told to go play football that’s what it looked like

coult44

Reaction score

Do any of yall even pay attention to the cap situation. It’s not that hard to see. The Cowboys needed to rework some contracts and resign some guys if they wanted money to spend during FA.
They DIDN'T DO That. And now they have a whopping 2.5 million in cap room.
Was that dumb, yep
Why’d they wait, who knows
Are we mad, yep

But to act like it’s some big mystery is crazy.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed what is NOT happening?

I haven't heard ANY free agent using the possibility of signing with Dallas in order to get leverage in negotiations elsewhere.

Cowboys were almost always named as a "team he'd like to go to" kind of thing... but not this year.

I guess that bluff doesn't work anymore.
that's because noone is at the Star to answer any calls.