Sounds like Mazi could be in a better place this year

Chasing6

Reaction score
At 337 pounds, if he can stay low, his strength might be enough even if he doesn't get off the ball quickly. I think that is one reason Michigan put him in the stance it did; it naturally kept him low so that he couldn't be rooted out easily by leverage. Quinn seemed to think that the stance was one of the reasons Mazi was slow off the snap, but Michigan may have used him that way because he was slow off the snap. The key for Mazi may just be how Zimmer uses him. If he just wants him to clog/take on blockers, he may be just fine in that role getting back to what he did at Michigan: Maintain a low center and use his strength and size to hold his ground.

images
Eat space and keep the LB's clean. That is all he needs to do.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
At 337 pounds, if he can stay low, his strength might be enough even if he doesn't get off the ball quickly. I think that is one reason Michigan put him in the stance it did; it naturally kept him low so that he couldn't be rooted out easily by leverage. Quinn seemed to think that the stance was one of the reasons Mazi was slow off the snap, but Michigan may have used him that way because he was slow off the snap. The key for Mazi may just be how Zimmer uses him. If he just wants him to clog/take on blockers, he may be just fine in that role getting back to what he did at Michigan: Maintain a low center and use his strength and size to hold his ground.

images
The comment that stood out to me is, "I know what I am supposed to do this year."

You know about read react 2 gap techniques. That is what Michigan had him do a lot. His pass rush was to convert to a bull rush.

Last year he was given completely different keys and techniques. Playing off the shoulder and jumping gaps. They are significantly different techniques akin to man vs zone coverage or rush schemes.

What bothers me is Mazi didn't fit last year's scheme. When DQ first got here he brought in guys who could 2 gap so he could 2 gap the strong side like Urban. Gholston, and Watkins. Then proceeded to use barely use them or the technique.

I suspect the defense is going to put a lot more emphasis on the DL working and gap discipline as a unit as opposed to the FFA of before. I am VERY interested to see how it works out starting next week.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The comment that stood out to me is, "I know what I am supposed to do this year."
There is zero percent chance either McCarthy or Quinn can convince me they knew what the hell they were doing with Mazi.

I've mentioned before how McCarthy failed several players last year. Mazi is the first name on the list.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There is zero percent chance either McCarthy or Quinn can convince me they knew what the hell they were doing with Mazi.

I've mentioned before how McCarthy failed several players last year. Mazi is the first name on the list.
MM let's his DC run their defense.

There is definitely a disconnect at some point. We are drafting 2 gap DL with good picks in Mazi, Gholston, and Fehoko while the DC never uses them or the technique.

This is more of a failure of Will McClay to get the coaches and the rest of the organization of the same page or the coach in question not communicating their wants/intention truthfully.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
"Sounds like Mazi could be in a better place this year"

I know he's bad. But to wish him to pass on to the next dimension and be in a "Better Place"...

Blackrain

Reaction score
Are we ever going to know what went on last year and why the drastic weight loss happened?
We will probably be kept in the dark and at this point I don't care.

All I care about is if this first round defensive tackle pic can stop the run we haven't used a first round pick on a defensive tackle in so long that I just don't want to believe that he is a bust.

Hoping he comes on this year and makes some progress

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I was referring to him being our second round pick. It appeared we were going to take the best TE available in the second round whoever it was even if they were better players at other positions available. I doubt he was the best player on the board in the second round when we picked.
I agree that we were determined to take a tight end, so we did. I just can't say that he wasn't taken about where he was expected to go or that he wasn't a good value at that point. Of course, looking at some draft "experts" top 100s, they had him in the 80s to 90. But experts also had players we've picked like Travis Frederick and Tyler Smith quite a bit lower than we took them, so who knows?