no ****

Alexander said:
Phillips needs one of "his" hires.

needs? not necessarily

Alexander said:
Especially on defense to convince me.

the DC is his guy, the 2 major players on our D is Phillips and his guy

Alexander said:
The pressure is on Phillips and this could be a subtle way of getting it done without appearing overly obvious about it.

again, not all coaches hire all their staff

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1929446 said:
most HCs don't, or they don't hire the whole staff by themselves

and it's not like Wade is getting overruled all the time, he has a son on the staff and he brought in his guy from San Diego

Since he's not getting overruled "all the time" then its okay? LOL.

And yeah, most HC's do choose their own staffs.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1929459 said:
he doesn't own the team

Yeah, and your point? Most coaches don't own the team. But most do have total control over their own staff.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;1929461 said:
Yeah, and your point? Most coaches don't own the team. But most do have total control over their own staff.

such as? remember, there are 32 teams

the only coaches who have total control over their own staff are the ones who share the title GM, and heck, even Mike Holmgren's former QB coach, when he was coach/GM, wasn't a guy he brought in, Jim Zorn

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1929447 said:
Parcells.....one and done against Carolina
Parcells.....one and done against Seahawks.

Wade.......one and done against Giants.

Being closer means jack. You sound like Wade and "we are a final 8 team" sunshine speech.

Sorry Wade, telling me we were 13-3 and a final 8 team actually pisses me off more that we were one and done this year.

This aint freaking Arizona, 13-3 with first round exit will get your arse fired here Wade. If we are not in the SB next year, clean out your office.

So if we don't make it to the Super Bowl, you want Wade fired?

If we lose in the NFC Championship game, you want Wade gone?

Why?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Vintage;1929468 said:
So if we don't make it to the Super Bowl, you want Wade fired?

If we lose in the NFC Championship game, you want Wade gone?

Why?

Because he would then be 1-5 with 3 different teams in the playoffs (assuming we get a bye next year also).

If we flame out again next year, I really dont have any confidence that the 3rd time will be a charm. Plus, we probably lose Garrett next year if Wade stays for 09.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1929464 said:
such as? remember, there are 32 teams

the only coaches who have total control over their own staff are the ones who share the title GM, and heck, even Mike Holmgren's former QB coach, when he was coach/GM, wasn't a guy he brought in, Jim Zorn

Coaches do retain some assistants who were already in place when they take a job. But, that is normally the HC's decision on who, if any, assistants are kept. So, if you act like a coach doesn't have control over his staff just because HE opts to retain some assistants then you are mistaken.

Jerry and Snyder are the exception to the rule, not the norm.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;1929484 said:
Coaches do retain some assistants who were already in place when they take a job. But, that is normally the HC's decision on who, if any, assistants are kept. So, if you act like a coach doesn't have control over his staff just because HE opts to retain some assistants then you are mistaken.

Jerry and Snyder are the exception to the rule, not the norm.

I asked for examples

you failed

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Let's see what "high quality" coach the Skins will attract now that his coordinators have already been chosen for him.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1929478 said:
Because he would then be 1-5 with 3 different teams in the playoffs (assuming we get a bye next year also).

If we flame out again next year, I really dont have any confidence that the 3rd time will be a charm. Plus, we probably lose Garrett next year if Wade stays for 09.

Well, that would depend upon if we had a 1st round bye (in reference to his record).

At any rate, he'd have to win at least one playoff game to advance to the NFC Championship game. And if he did that, I am not sure why we'd want to rush out and replace him... Garrett is no lock to be a good head coach.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Alexander;1929452 said:
Why is the burden of proof on the "Jerry Bashers"?

Jones himself has already hired one assistant before hiring Phillips and has overruled another in Solari. He's forced his thoughts into assistants for quite some time, including on Campo himself when he imported Bruce Coslet.

If anything, the burden is on those claiming this is a Wade hire. Chances are, he will come out and speak of support. It is not in his style to make waves. But until he comes out and states this was his choice, it is hard to state this is anything more than a Jones machination.
I'm more of an agnostic on this situation.

People make the claim that Campo is a Jerry hire and that Wade is opposed to it. There is no evidence that this is the case. People want to make a claim in bold and unequivocal terms, they should have some tangible evidence to support their position.

On the Solari situation, we have an unsubstantiated rumor by Matt Mosley. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not telling the whole story. Frankly it's much ado about nothing imo.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Alexander;1929453 said:
That was also last year. Phillips needs one of "his" hires. Especially on defense to convince me. The pressure is on Phillips and this could be a subtle way of getting it done without appearing overly obvious about it.
What about Grantham?

Would Pagano suffice?

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1929488 said:
I asked for examples

you failed

Is that all you got?

How many teams have an owner or GM that hire assist. coaches for the HC? And how have those teams fared?

Yeah, I think I'll stick to hiring a solid HC and letting him control his own staff, you know, like Landry and Jimmy did.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
in this corner the team of ALEXANDEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRR and BACH!!!!!! and there opponents also known as the defenders WINDWARD AND BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBB SACAMANOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! READY? FIGHT!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
windward;1929493 said:
I'm more of an agnostic on this situation.

People make the claim that Campo is a Jerry hire and that Wade is opposed to it. There is no evidence that this is the case. People want to make a claim in bold and unequivocal terms, they should have some tangible evidence to support their position.

On the Solari situation, we have an unsubstantiated rumor by Matt Mosley. Maybe he's right, maybe he's not telling the whole story. Frankly it's much ado about nothing imo.

You will never get the tangible evidence you want about most things. What Mosley reported is about as close as you are going to get unfortunately.

Wade is not the type to stand up and publicly speak about the fact that he was overruled. He will tow the company line. Practically any coach would. It is just not something you do.

In the absence of that, it is then up to the individual to determine the reliability of the reporter delivering the information. Mosley is fairly solid from my perspective.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;1929509 said:
Is that all you got?

How many teams have an owner or GM that hire assist. coaches for the HC? And how have those teams fared?

Yeah, I think I'll stick to hiring a solid HC and letting him control his own staff, you know, like Landry and Jimmy did.

Wade is not Landry, or Jimmy

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
windward;1929495 said:
What about Grantham?

Would Pagano suffice?

Actually Pagano would, that is a coach with no ties to Jones and all to Phillips. But the longer time goes on, the less likely that appears to be the case.

Grantham is on the fence, but I can see Jones being impressed with the fact he is a former coordinator with 3-4 experience. If something "unfortunate" were to happen to Phillips or Stewart, he would be an easy alternative.