Speculation: FSU and Clemson to big 12?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If FSU or Clemson wants to leave they had better start to ball rolling now. They can use the courts to get by the $50M exit fee if they act quickly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4723182 said:
If FSU or Clemson wants to leave they had better start to ball rolling now. They can use the courts to get by the $50M exit fee if they act quickly.
Good thing they actually don't want to leave.

Though it is smart of them to explore all options.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;4723188 said:
Good thing they actually don't want to leave.

Though it is smart of them to explore all options.

FSU DOES want to leave. Clemson did but heard they changed their minds.

Make no mistake about it...FSU did and still does want to leave, they are NOT happy in the ACC. Whether they get to leave now or not is another story.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4723067 said:
I am willing to bet that when it is all said and done and all the facts came out...The ACC sweetened the pot a little more than than the Big 12 was willing to agree to. Just a little hunch. :D

Found your smoking gun. ND gets to share ACC bowl tie-ins....

That is a huge blow to ACC teams. What bowl is going to take a 7/8 win ACC team over a 6/7 win ND?

Recap. 11 wins and they go to playoff, 10 wins and they get to OB. 9 wins and they take top ACC bowl status after OB. Anythimg less and they bump all the ACC teams down one without having to play more than 5 of them.

AND Swarbrick says this move is financially neutral.... holy crap. teams just agreed to LOSE money. every bump down the bowl ladder costs those schools and the ACC.

Cheez

Reaction score
maybe they were just trying to get leverage by threatening to leave.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4723200 said:
FSU DOES want to leave. Clemson did but heard they changed their minds.

Make no mistake about it...FSU did and still does want to leave, they are NOT happy in the ACC. Whether they get to leave now or not is another story.
We could go around on this all day , just like with JT.
There are some at FSU that are unhappy, yes.
To say that FSU wants out is a different deal altogether.

Maybe you guys do too, but I do have a lot of ties (family and admin) to that program and it's boosters. I say the the large majority (75%?) what to stay in the ACC for multiple reasons.

The situation at FSU and in the ACC is already better now than it was this time last year.

Anyway, I don't want to get back into this again. Already won one bet to the honorable JT. I'd make another one, but it's hard to bet on how we think a school's feelings are.
The squeeky wheel gets 10 times the publicity as the other--so of course you'll hear message board and "insider" fodder saying "get us out".

Just have to respectfully disagree on this one....again.

DFWJC

Reaction score
jterrell;4723314 said:

That is a huge blow to ACC teams. What bowl is going to take a 7/8 win ACC team over a 6/7 win ND?

Recap. 11 wins and they go to playoff, 10 wins and they get to OB. 9 wins and they take top ACC bowl status after OB. Anythimg less and they bump all the ACC teams down one without having to play more than 5 of them.

AND Swarbrick says this move is financially neutral.... holy crap. teams just agreed to LOSE money. every bump down the bowl ladder costs those schools and the ACC.
You lose money on lower tier bowls...almost all of them outside the very top ones.

If you are BCS worthy this would not happen.

Furthermore, ND affiliation helps revenue.
I bet it is revenue neutral or very close.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The big loser here is the Big East--or what's left of it.

I bet Louisville and Cincy really want out of that mess.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;4723540 said:
The big loser here is the Big East--or what's left of it.

I bet Louisville and Cincy really want out of that mess.

The Big East loses because of Notre Dame.

It had plenty of years to help solidify that conference but refused to do so.

Hence the reason I never wanted them in the Big 12 unless there was an iron clad agreement to join in football as well.

The ACC now is looking more and more like Big East 2.0.

You got plenty of former Big East full membersship teams and now have Notre Dame coming in as a partial.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DFWJC;4723513 said:
We could go around on this all day , just like with JT.
There are some at FSU that are unhappy, yes.
To say that FSU wants out is a different deal altogether.

Maybe you guys do too, but I do have a lot of ties (family and admin) to that program and it's boosters. I say the the large majority (75%?) what to stay in the ACC for multiple reasons.

The situation at FSU and in the ACC is already better now than it was this time last year.

Anyway, I don't want to get back into this again. Already won one bet to the honorable JT. I'd make another one, but it's hard to bet on how we think a school's feelings are.
The squeeky wheel gets 10 times the publicity as the other--so of course you'll hear message board and "insider" fodder saying "get us out".

Just have to respectfully disagree on this one....again.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one because no amount of spin can tell me that FSU did not want out and probably still does want out. :cool:

DFWJC

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4723584 said:
The Big East loses because of Notre Dame.

It had plenty of years to help solidify that conference but refused to do so.

Hence the reason I never wanted them in the Big 12 unless there was an iron clad agreement to join in football as well.

The ACC now is looking more and more like Big East 2.0.

You got plenty of former Big East full membersship teams and now have Notre Dame coming in as a partial.
Yeah, ND gets on my nerves too.

I'd say the ACC is now like the ACC 2.0---no original members have left in the modern era (USC left 40 years ago).
Only 4 conferences can say that: Pac 10(12), Big 10, ACC, SEC (Ga Tech left 50 years ago).

The Big East is getting closer and closer to being Conference USA 2.0...lol.
Former CUSA members include Cincy, Louisville, USF, Memphis, SMU, Houston...and in non-football, Depaul and Marquette. Jeesh

MC KAos

Reaction score
deloss dodds has said all along that he along with many of the other ADs were against expansion. i still think if the big 12 invited FSU they would join.

Aikbach

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4724131 said:
The ACC is not more stable then the Big 12. That's not even close to true.

As FSU, yeah, they had a great year last year but that is a long way from saying they have a solid program in the ACC. Besides, it doesn't matter if they win the ACC fo the next 10 years (Basketball), that still will not fix their financial issues.
The Big 12 is a powerhouse across all television sports, so you are correct to dismiss the ACC claim.

Aikbach

Reaction score
MC KAos;4723744 said:
deloss dodds has said all along that he along with many of the other ADs were against expansion. i still think if the big 12 invited FSU they would join.
I'll say this though, what is nice about ten teams is you genuinely play the whole conference and the champion has played everyone, unlike in the 12 team format.

Rogah

Reaction score
jterrell;4723314 said:

The loss of bowl money is peanuts compared to the added national exposure and guaranteed sellouts they will have from those 5 games per year.

The ACC made a wise move here, but they're foolish to think ND will ever join in football.

MC KAos

Reaction score
Rogah;4724189 said:
The loss of bowl money is peanuts compared to the added national exposure and guaranteed sellouts they will have from those 5 games per year.

The ACC made a wise move here, but they're foolish to think ND will ever join in football.

i dont know about all that, this is 2012, not 1992, ND is barely relevant in football, i personally would much rather go see texas play a good team than ND. I truly wonder how many ND "fans" that arent students or alumni are under the age of 35, i bet most of their fans are getting up there in age, ND has been getting around on name for a while now.

burmafrd

Reaction score
MC KAos;4724268 said:
i dont know about all that, this is 2012, not 1992, ND is barely relevant in football, i personally would much rather go see texas play a good team than ND. I truly wonder how many ND "fans" that arent students or alumni are under the age of 35, i bet most of their fans are getting up there in age, ND has been getting around on name for a while now.

snicker

love the jealousy

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cheez;4723478 said:
maybe they were just trying to get leverage by threatening to leave.

they voted against the buy out increase... after ND signed.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DFWJC;4723524 said:
You lose money on lower tier bowls...almost all of them outside the very top ones.

If you are BCS worthy this would not happen.

Furthermore, ND affiliation helps revenue.
I bet it is revenue neutral or very close.

You lose money on bowls outside the top 12 or so now... recall they just revamped or added 3 or 4.

ACC almost assuredly now loses a spot in a profitable bowl game to ND... UNLESS they play each other int he Orange Bowl.

The ACC basically gave ND football membership for 5 games and let them keep their bowl shares. That can be as much as 20m if it is a top bowl.