Sporting News ranks the coaches

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Payton, Harbough, or Zimmer for me. Even better if zimmer got blown out and we could convince him to be our DC and have payton be HC. problem is they worked for this organization and know its a crap show
that's the real problem....our organization is screwed up...working with Jerry is hard...so just being in dallas lowers your ranking by 3 or 4 spots

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would probably put him in the 15-18 range....there is about 3 below him on the list I would rank ahead, but given their team's performance last couple of years may have impacted the rankings.
Yea, that’s kinda where I am. With a middle of the pack QB he’s probably done a better job in recent years.

Ultimately we are talent driven like most teams. Elite talent makes coaching look brilliant. Great coaching amasses Elite talent. Kinda of the chicken and egg syndrome.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I wouldn’t, if you’ve ever read anything I’ve ever said about the guy that would be pretty obvious.

I would debate a thousand foolish posters who think he’s #32 for reasons they’ve mostly made up and repeated until they believe it’s accurate. That’s what the issue has always been.
I would put him somewhere around 15-18. immediately looking at the list arians, zimmer, rivera, patricia are better than him. Garrett also had the butt fumble of coaching so theres that

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wouldn’t, if you’ve ever read anything I’ve ever said about the guy that would be pretty obvious.

I would debate a thousand foolish posters who think he’s #32 for reasons they’ve mostly made up and repeated until they believe it’s accurate. That’s what the issue has always been.

So I guess he isn't the HOF coach in waiting that you portray him to be?

So you defend him like an angry mother because you don't think he is #32?

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would put him somewhere around 15-18. immediately looking at the list arians, zimmer, rivera, patricia are better than him. Garrett also had the butt fumble of coaching so theres that

I'm not a fan of ranking QBs or HCs linearly like this anyway. Like with Dak, the only question I care about is 'can I win a championship with this guy or not.' There's too much variation between markets and divisions to be able to list 'Best HCs from 1-32.' The job in Dallas, for example, is a much bigger job than the one in Jacksonville, for example. The media spotlight, the commitments, the the interference level of the owners, the attention given to the players when they screw up or not, all that stuff is orders of magnitude bigger in Dallas.

And I know almost nobody agrees, but I think this Cowboys team has done enough right that they can compete for world championships right now, with this HC and this QB. That's all that really matters to me. If there's a chance to clearly upgrade either position, I'm all for it. I just don't see a lot of opportunity to do that right now, and I otherwise like where we are.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I guess he isn't the HOF coach in waiting that you portray him to be?

So you defend him like an angry mother because you don't think he is #32?

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

To answer that, you'd have to go back and read what I've actually said about him, and try to forget all the stupid things that get mis-characterized and attributed to me by idiots.

The good news is, the post history is there for anybody who wants to bother.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You weren't here back when Zimmer was hated worse as a DC than Garrett has ever been as a HC around here. I was the lonely guy saying Zimmer was actually a pretty good coach on that topic, too.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of ranking QBs or HCs linearly like this anyway. Like with Dak, the only question I care about is 'can I win a championship with this guy or not.' There's too much variation between markets and divisions to be able to list 'Best HCs from 1-32.' The job in Dallas, for example, is a much bigger job than the one in Jacksonville, for example. The media spotlight, the commitments, the the interference level of the owners, the attention given to the players when they screw up or not, all that stuff is orders of magnitude bigger in Dallas.

And I know almost nobody agrees, but I think this Cowboys team has done enough right that they can compete for world championships right now, with this HC and this QB. That's all that really matters to me. If there's a chance to clearly upgrade either position, I'm all for it. I just don't see a lot of opportunity to do that right now, and I otherwise like where we are.
You are half right. We can compete for world championships with the QB, but not the coaching staff.