News: ST: Jason Witten not a Hall of Famer? Some pundits don't think so

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe was faster, but his all-around game isnt close to Witten. Thats what separates Witten from so many TE's through the years. You can not name one TE who was better at being a complete TE. From Blocking, route running, hands, durability, leader, tough. Ditka is the only one I can think of who comes close.

A lot was faster, just as good with their hands as well. But the all-around game? Nope. Has nothing to do with being a homer/fanboys. And I cant stand the word fanboys. So freaking millennial it makes me sick.
I don't think they look at it in that context. It's not about was he better than Sharpe, he very well may have been... but they are not going to sit down and watch film. They are going to look at their accomplishments, statistics and impact in relation to the era they played.
We all know the Hall loves rings: Sharpe had 3, Witten 0. They also love first team All-Pros: Witten "only" had 2... less than Sharpe, Gonzalez, Gronk, Winslow, Sanders, Casper, Mackey and Gates.
People also forget that "first ballot Hall of Famer" isn't a special honor they bestow on extra worthy Hall of Famers. Sometimes it works out, but sometimes players who could have easily gotten first ballot just get unlucky and go in with a super strong class or have to wait because of strong backlogs. It doesn't matter. A Hall of Famer is a Hall of Famer.
The uncertainty of not even knowing what players will be on the ballot competing with him makes it pretty foolish for anyone to say that Witten is a "lock" for first ballot. Historically, he has a small chance.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
TEs have traditionally had a hard time getting in but that is changing. TEs are more integral to the game. Look at the greatest TE of all time and how long it took him to get in. It took John Mackey until 92 for him to be inducted. And if you didn't see him play then at least watch some youtube.
John Mackey was awesome

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score

SlimBig

Reaction score
Bomani Jones has shouted from the rooftops that Witten isn't a Hall of Famer.
I don't agree (I don't think he's 1st ballot though) but Bomani makes a compelling argument.
DVNjCL9VwAA-811.jpg:large

His biggest arguments are that he was never the best TE in the game any time he played. Never better than Gates, Gonzales, Gronk, etc.
He also argues that longevity and reliability aren't reasons to make the HOF.
I think Rich Gosselin also wrote an article about obstacles in Witten getting in. (I'm not sure though.)

What I find most interesting about Bomani's Witten takes is that he says alot of sports people agree with him privately but would never say it out loud.
I wonder if because of this, you won't see Witten make it the 1st few times to the Hall.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
He's definitely a hall of famer, no debate. It's certainly possible he has to wait a few years though seeing some hall deserving receivers experience. Tim Brown had to wait 6 years. Issac Bruce is still not in.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe was faster, but his all-around game isnt close to Witten. Thats what separates Witten from so many TE's through the years. You can not name one TE who was better at being a complete TE. From Blocking, route running, hands, durability, leader, tough. Ditka is the only one I can think of who comes close.

A lot was faster, just as good with their hands as well. But the all-around game? Nope. Has nothing to do with being a homer/fanboys. And I cant stand the word fanboys. So freaking millennial it makes me sick.
All around game? Shannon dominated playoff games lol who cares about all around. Shannon wasn’t a bad blocker hence Terrell Davis having more rushing yards than any rb Witten played with. Again, if you think Witten is better than Sharpe you’re a bias fanboy. Hate the facts all you want. Lol

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Bomani Jones has shouted from the rooftops that Witten isn't a Hall of Famer.
I don't agree (I don't think he's 1st ballot though) but Bomani makes a compelling argument.
DVNjCL9VwAA-811.jpg:large

His biggest arguments are that he was never the best TE in the game any time he played. Never better than Gates, Gonzales, Gronk, etc.
He also argues that longevity and reliability aren't reasons to make the HOF.
I think Rich Gosselin also wrote an article about obstacles in Witten getting in. (I'm not sure though.)

What I find most interesting about Bomani's Witten takes is that he says alot of sports people agree with him privately but would never say it out loud.
I wonder if because of this, you won't see Witten make it the 1st few times to the Hall.
Bomani makes interesting arguments. Thanks for sharing bro

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
All around game? Shannon dominated playoff games lol who cares about all around. Shannon wasn’t a bad blocker hence Terrell Davis having more rushing yards than any rb Witten played with. Again, if you think Witten is better than Sharpe you’re a bias fanboy. Hate the facts all you want. Lol
You apparently are unfamiliar with what makes fact a fact. Your comparison is quite the opposite.

ESisback

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous. Witten is a first ballot HOFer. He's like 6th all time in catches, including receivers. He has the second best TE numbers of all time.

Facts don't matter to some. He was a Cowboy. Plus, those that say it KNOW it stimulate$ debate.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Here is Steven Ruiz from USAToday:

"Witten has put up the volume stats, but he was not a very efficient player during his career. And if we’re putting him in Canton because he stayed healthy and stacked numbers, then you should also consider Matthew Stafford a lock for the Hall of Fame if he keeps up his current pace."
Stafford's "current pace?" Witten went to 11 Pro Bowls.

At his current pace, Stafford would literally have to play 99 years.

ESisback

Reaction score

Can't give this enough likes! ANYONE who thinks Witten isn't a HOFer, or that Shannon "Freakin' Horse Face" Sharpe is better, 1)doesn't know JACK about football, and 2)is a giant awesome person who can suck it.