News: ST: Jason Witten not a Hall of Famer? Some pundits don't think so

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
"I'm tough on the Hall of Fame," FS1 commentator Skip Bayless said. "I think it's getting softer and softer into the Hall of Fame. ... But Jason Witten would not be in my Hall of Fame. My standards are high. Did he change the game? Was he a transcendent player? No. He was a really good. ... There's that 'Hall of Very Good' I talk about. He's in that ' Hall of Very Good.' He played 15 years and missed 1 game. ... That's durability man."
Witten holds the record for catches in a game by a tight end (18).

ESisback

Reaction score
Stafford's "current pace?" Witten went to 11 Pro Bowls.

At his current pace, Stafford would literally have to play 99 years.

Does ANYONE know or read Steve Ruiz? Is he legit to anyone? I'm amazed there's someone willing to give him money in exchange for his opinion.

Toomany10pins

Reaction score
1st ballot is tough but for sure fire hall of famer. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot
From an outsider’s POV......Agreed. He was flat out a baller. He played the game the right way, and succeeded. Dude was a beast in his prime, anyone that says otherwise isn’t being objective. I love players like Witten and Larry Fitzgerald even though they don’t play for my team.

When it comes to Skip Bayless, I just “Skip” Bayless, the guy is a clown, as is the Steven A Smith’s and Pete Priscos of the world. They play they contrarian/heel role to get clicks.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I believe that he is a HOFer but maybe not 1st ballot
He's likely is not getting in. Too much competition, and even though he has retired earlier than his contemporaries (which may help him along with his TV gig), I doubt voters are going to want to put him in before Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger and Eli Manning, all of whome will likely be retired in three to five years (five years being how long it will take Romo to be eligible for nomination).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
4th all-time in receptions, 21st all-time in receiving yards, 11 Pro Bowls, 4-time All Pro, Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, 235 consecutive games played, and he's one of the most respected players to ever play in the NFL. If that resume doesn't get you a gold jacket on the first try, then the process is flawed.

Also, just consider him compared to TEs. That's his position, after all. Second only to Gonzales in yards and receptions.

Gonzalez, Witten, and Gates should all go.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Why are we comparing Shannon Sharpe and Jason Witten? :huh:
Because Sharpe seemed like the ultimate no-brainer candidate at the time: all time leader for TEs in receptions, yards, TDs; 4 first team All-Pros; 3 Super Bowl titles; 1st team NFL All-Decade Team 1990s... and still didn’t get in until the third try. So logically it would follow Witten may have trouble. A few people have took it upon themselves to (futilely) explain Jason’s superior case and thus the comparisons.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He's likely is not getting in. Too much competition, and even though he has retired earlier than his contemporaries (which may help him along with his TV gig), I doubt voters are going to want to put him in before Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlisberger and Eli Manning, all of whome will likely be retired in three to five years (five years being how long it will take Romo to be eligible for nomination).

I don't see Rivers making it. Eli shouldn't, but may.

Tthey're all coming after Witten, so he's not in competition with them for first ballot.

One weird thing might keep Witten out. If Gates retires this year too, and he and Witten are competing each year. Most voters probably aren't going to do both, so maybe the "TE vote" gets split between them each year.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Entire list of skill players with multiple 1st-team AP All-Pro, 11+ Pro Bowls in 15 seasons or less:

Manning
Brady
Rice
Gonzalez
Witten
It’s a nice list but I think something like nearly half of Witten’s Pro Bowls were alternates. Now I’m not trying to count everybody’s because it’s not like he’s the only one to ever go that way... but if you’re only a Pro Bowler because someone else is playing in the Super Bowl, that doesn’t seem particularly inspiring to me. And yes, the HOF voters look at every last detail like that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So, voters will refuse to cast a ballot for players they don’t deem as good as QBs like Rodgers and Brady until whatever point in the future those guys are elected? Hell, for Rodgers that may not be for 10 years.

And Phillip Rivers? Really?

That makes no sense, especially considering that being inducted before those guys has absolutely nothing to do with how voters view eligible players in relation to other players that are not yet eligible. Witten being elected before Brady or Rodgers, for example, would not be a statement that voters think he was a better player than those guys, it would merely be that he was eligible before those guys and they deemed him worthy of inclusion.

plasticman

Reaction score
The "game changing" plays that Skippy and all fans remember occur in the playoffs.It's a real shame that Jason never got the opportunity to showcase both his toughness and abilities in about ten playoffs including a few Super Bowls.I could certainly see him as a SB MVP.

If the Cowboys had any measurable success in the playoffs over the past 15 years then the world would know a lot more about #82. Nobody would be questioning his right to be in the HOF. Non-Cowboy fans only have the stats to go by and most are probably surprised by the numbers, He has always been silently efficient.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It’s a nice list but I think something like nearly half of Witten’s Pro Bowls were alternates. Now I’m not trying to count everybody’s because it’s not like he’s the only one to ever go that way... but if you’re only a Pro Bowler because someone else is playing in the Super Bowl, that doesn’t seem particularly inspiring to me. And yes, the HOF voters look at every last detail like that.
There are always alternates, especially at skill positions. But it doesn't always have to be the same guy. It says a lot that Witten was selected that many times -- alternate or not.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
There are always alternates, especially at skill positions. But it doesn't always have to be the same guy. It says a lot that Witten was selected that many times -- alternate or not.
If I had to guess, I would guess that it says that Witten was the only one who answered the phone and didn’t have vacation plans yet :p

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Skip Bayless is doing what he always does, saying stupid stuff to get attention.
I've foolishly misspent several minutes of my time above ground watching his " ad-hoc" home broadcasts on U-tube,,,he's rather hilariously pathetic,in an effeminate sorta' way with a fluffy crap munching yapping lap dog getting 'face time',,,HILARIOUS.