Star-Trek

Rogah

Reaction score
I can't believe how riled up some people are getting over a simple movie... I am just going to make the following observations...

1) When I go to see a movie that takes place in the future involving instellar space travel, time travel, other planets, "subspace" communication and little green women, I don't even remotely expect or hope to see something that consistently obeys the laws of physics. I accept going in that I will see things that aren't even remotely possible, even in theory. So to me, any criticism of the physics of the movie is just too ridiculous to address because it would be a never ending conversation. The very premise of the movie violates the laws of physics, so I don't really care when all the other little things in the movie do the same.

2) Was the movie perfect? No. Did it have plot holes? Yup. But overall I thought it was a fun ride, worth the price of admission, and worth picking up on DVD 6 months or so from now. As far as eye candy goes, you could do a lot worse.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2778490 said:
Again, this wasn't a conversation about the older shows. This was a conversation about plot holes in the current one.

And they were all handed to you, So there is nothing more to say that you just want to argue that which you admitted you are going to limit.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Went to see it with my Parents, Sister and her husband and we all enjoyed it.

We go to the movies to relax and enjoy our selves, not to sit back and nit pick it do death. Was it perfect? No, but neither were the original Star Trek movies. They were just fun!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Doomsday;2778544 said:

We go to the movies to relax and enjoy our selves, not to sit back and nit pick it do death. Was it perfect? No, but neither were the original Star Trek movies. They were just fun!

:hammer:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Doomsday;2778544 said:

How dare you interrupt this dork-fight with your non-dorkiness! I was enjoying this thread until you came along.

:nono2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2778533 said:
And they were all handed to you, So there is nothing more to say that you just want to argue that which you admitted you are going to limit.
You pointed out what you thought were plot holes. I showed you why they were not. And you changed the subject.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;2778645 said:
You pointed out what you thought were plot holes. I showed you why they were not. And you changed the subject.

No comment. :laugh2:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I've got a friend that every movie he sees, he has to critique every little detail. He's incapable of just enjoying a movie.

I used to go see movies with him, now I don't. No one does.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The large plot holes in the current movie are a problem that veteran trekkers have with it- say what you want about the other movies they did not have the holes this one does. ANd that is on Abrams.
So what if its popular with the ignorant and ill informed= Star Trek always tried BEFORE to be better then that.

WarC

Reaction score
You could tell by the way this movie was advertised that it was targetting the "downtrodden youth", the post-Trekkies that they're trying to get interested in the franchise.

However we'll always be Star Wars fans. Empire baby!

Guli

Reaction score
1 A Star goes super nova The shock wave will be traveling at a fraction of c.
That gives the nearest star system between 80 and 1000 YEARS to evacuate.

2. Parachutes? really? in an age of thrust boots and artificial gravity?

3. Ejecting the core. If I hear someone say that one more time I will start Killing people.

4. Event Horizon. If you are close enough to a black hole that a ship capable of travelling 1000's of times faster than light cannot escape then a tiny little subluminal pop isn't going to do squat.

5. smush Being close proximity to an explosion while the ship is being ripped apart by tidal stresses.

6. Kirks dads ship collision. Movie over everyone go home. Slamming 100's of metrics ton of anything into anything at relativistic velocities means annihilation period. Not even taking into account the antimatter.

None of these are "plot holes." They're scientific errors, which no one cares about, except nerds who try to sound smart.

First of all I am a propellerhead not a nerd!

Second
Science fiction differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

That makes divergence from simple reality, fantasy. If this was a d&d movie or Star Wars then your statement would have some weight.
Since this is Science Fiction that makes "scientific errors" a major plot hole.

7. Do I need to mention chekov

No idea what you're talking about here.

In the movie it is stated that he is 17 17-4=13 does anyone believe that any military organization accepts 13 year old children into service? As he was in uniform not in cadet red we can surmise that he has time in so he could have been even younger when he was inducted.

8. Kirk from cadet to captain. Did we just jump a few ranks.

This wasn't a plot hole. There were apparently several years between him joining Star Fleet (or whatever its called) and when they boarded the USS Enterprise. The movie just skipped forward. No plot hole, you just need to pay more attention.

I did pay attention. Kirk was on disciplinary review his name was not called it was McCoy that got him on board the Enterprise. At the end of the movie we see him back at the Academy being promoted to Captain (While still in his cadet red) and then relieving Captain Pike who is still recovering from his injuries. It was not years it was not even weeks as still later we see Spock talk to Spock about leaving Starfleet Go see the movie again and take notes this time.

9. Spock saw Vulcan as big as a moon from a whole other star system?!?!?!

Was he in another star system? Or was he on another adjacent planet/moon?

If he was on another planet in the same system vulcan would be a dot of light in the night sky. If he was in another system then only the star would be visible.

10. The Romulan and Spock's ship go thru a black hole. You do realize a black hole has a star at the center?

No. No one cares. It's not a "plot hole" it's just bad science.

When the enterprise gets too close to the artificial singularity the ship stars to rip apart because of intense gravity but the romulan and spock's ship do not have to deal with gravity because if you ignore it, it does not exist(more commonly described as bad writing).

In science fiction bad science IS a plot hole.

Please, give more, because these are all ****. The only plot hole you pointed out was a result of you not understanding what was going on.

I would love to have an intelligent discussion with someone with a clue that someone is not you. :horse:

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
You can call me a Trekker, or a Trekkie, but as a hard core Star Trek fan, I loved this film. Its is absolutely brilliant, it is getting the old school fans and the new scifi film fans to come together.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
Guli;2780057 said:

3. Ejecting the core. If I hear someone say that one more time I will start Killing people.

4. Event Horizon. If you are close enough to a black hole that a ship capable of travelling 1000's of times faster than light cannot escape then a tiny little subluminal pop isn't going to do squat.

5. smush Being close proximity to an explosion while the ship is being ripped apart by tidal stresses.

6. Kirks dads ship collision. Movie over everyone go home. Slamming 100's of metrics ton of anything into anything at relativistic velocities means annihilation period. Not even taking into account the antimatter.

None of these are "plot holes." They're scientific errors, which no one cares about, except nerds who try to sound smart.

Second
Science fiction differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

That makes divergence from simple reality, fantasy. If this was a d&d movie or Star Wars then your statement would have some weight.

In the movie it is stated that he is 17 17-4=13 does anyone believe that any military organization accepts 13 year old children into service? As he was in uniform not in cadet red we can surmise that he has time in so he could have been even younger when he was inducted.

This wasn't a plot hole. There were apparently several years between him joining Star Fleet (or whatever its called) and when they boarded the USS Enterprise. The movie just skipped forward. No plot hole, you just need to pay more attention.

I did pay attention. Kirk was on disciplinary review his name was not called it was McCoy that got him on board the Enterprise. At the end of the movie we see him back at the Academy being promoted to Captain (While still in his cadet red) and then relieving Captain Pike who is still recovering from his injuries. It was not years it was not even weeks as still later we see Spock talk to Spock about leaving Starfleet Go see the movie again and take notes this time.

If he was on another planet in the same system vulcan would be a dot of light in the night sky. If he was in another system then only the star would be visible.

10. The Romulan and Spock's ship go thru a black hole. You do realize a black hole has a star at the center?

When the enterprise gets too close to the artificial singularity the ship stars to rip apart because of intense gravity but the romulan and spock's ship do not have to deal with gravity because if you ignore it, it does not exist(more commonly described as bad writing).

Please, give more, because these are all ****. The only plot hole you pointed out was a result of you not understanding what was going on.

I would love to have an intelligent discussion with someone with a clue that someone is not you. :horse:

Yes to all points. But if you took out all the "libertys" the movie would loke like a NASA production on the boring channel.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Apollo 13 did a pretty good job of making NASA look interesting.
Sure there were liberties taken with truth but overall it was very close to what happened.
You do not have to throw cannon and common sense out the window to make a good movie in a series. Its the LAZY way out- its the EASY way out- and the dumb and stupid just lap it up.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Guli;2780057 said:

Second

If you want to be that nitpicky you can do that to EVERY SINGLE Star Trek episode and movie. You can also do that to EVERY SINGLE Science Fiction (I'll spare you the "Fantasy") movie ever made. And you are still wrong on most of your points, or they are based on assumptions about the world as it exists TODAY and what your understanding of it is. And you can't figure out that there were YEARS between when Kirk gave up his bike, got on the ship, and met McCoy, etc. and when he was promoted (IN THE FIELD!) to captain and subsequently honored with that rank permanently.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
On another note, I saw the movie a second time last weekend and I enjoyed it much more than I did the first time. I must have just not been in the right mood last time because it's a damn good movie.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2778429 said:
He did not invent "Time travel" Im not even going to get into that one. And again, Spock gave him the piece he was going to discover in the future, but since Spock needed the time travel he gave the finished formula to Spock. Its a sad sad sad plot line, and it was horrible. Once Time Travel is discovered, or put into science fiction, the universe goes to heck.

What technology or device did he invent and use on the ship?

Um sorry but Spock didn't give him anything to do with time travel, he showed him what he was missing to transport someone from one place to another reguardless of distance, noting to do with time travel, the line Scotty said was "I should have known it was space that was moving" which was said when Spock completed the formula he'd already started and used to "transport" the guys dog... again this had 0 to do with time travel, it was all about transporting or "beaming" someone from one location to another, nothing else...