Star-Trek

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2777896 said:
are we down to personal insults Theogt? That doesnt stop your post from being wrong, but again, i dont blame you if you never saw the original, easily this movie was not made for the fans and other people ive talked to all agree it wasnt for fans, it was for people that wanted shiny baubles with the word star trek attached to it.
Wrong about what?

I don't think there's any need to argue whether it was a good movie or not, generally, as that is a given at this point. It's received one of the highest ratings ever from Rotten Tomatoes (please look up what that is before you even begin to make a response).

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2777915 said:
Wrong about what?

When he boarded the USS Enterprise, McCoy smuggled him on, you dont smuggle people that have a right to be on the ship. In which for some reason the captain had no problem with this and even made him first officer, than somehow he makes captain, yes i know its explained, but it does make ones mind melt watching it at the same time. Its just bad writing plain and simple.

So he goes from cadet, to being smuggled on the ship, to first officer, to captain. Oh yeah happens everyday in the military.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2777915 said:
Wrong about what?

I don't think there's any need to argue whether it was a good movie or not, generally, as that is a given at this point. It's received one of the highest ratings ever from Rotten Tomatoes (please look up what that is before you even begin to make a response).

Oh lords, please dont tell me you use a website to give you your opinions.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2777918 said:
When he boarded the USS Enterprise, McCoy smuggled him on, you dont smuggle people that have a right to be on the ship. In which for some reason the captain had no problem with this and even made him first officer, than somehow he makes captain, yes i know its explained, but it does make ones mind melt watching it at the same time. Its just bad writing plain and simple.

So he goes from cadet, to being smuggled on the ship, to first officer, to captain. Oh yeah happens everyday in the military.
He went from being a cadet to being trained to be a first officer level person in a span of years. He was then on academic suspension, so he had to be smuggled onto the ship. Where's the plot hole?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2777920 said:
Oh lords, please dont tell me you use a website to give you your opinions.
No, of course I form my opinion. I'm not sure how you read what I wrote and assumed otherwise. Of course, you tend to have a problem comprehending what you read on a regular basis.

My point about Rotten Tomatoes was that it takes a survey a large number of critics. If such a high percentage of critics believe it is a good movie, then it's obviously not up for debate whether or not it was a good movie, generally. I hope this makes sense to you now.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2777926 said:
He went from being a cadet to being trained to be a first officer level person in a span of years. He was then on academic suspension, so he had to be smuggled onto the ship. Where's the plot hole?

You just try hard to argue points regardless.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2777928 said:
No, of course I form my opinion. I'm not sure how you read what I wrote and assumed otherwise. Of course, you tend to have a problem comprehending what you read on a regular basis.

My point about Rotten Tomatoes was that it takes a survey a large number of critics. If such a high percentage of critics believe it is a good movie, then it's obviously not up for debate whether or not it was a good movie, generally. I hope this makes sense to you now.

Well you believe anything you read regardless if those guys were paid for their opinion or not. I choose to write what i feel and the movie was horrible to me and had a ton of plot holes and bad science and acting and writing. If its great for you, so be it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2777934 said:
You just try hard to argue points regardless.
Look, I asked you where I was wrong and you failed to point out the plot hole. Was there any point to your response or are you just blowing smoke?

ShiningStar;2777937 said:
Well you believe anything you read regardless if those guys were paid for their opinion or not. I choose to write what i feel and the movie was horrible to me and had a ton of plot holes and bad science and acting and writing. If its great for you, so be it.
Great. I couldn't really care less one way or the other. I never responded to whether you liked it or not. If you have some sort of logical response to my post about plot holes, then feel free to address it any point, but if you're just going to respond with your own personal opinion, don't bother.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2777943 said:
Look, I asked you where I was wrong and you failed to point out the plot hole. Was there any point to your response or are you just blowing smoke?

Great. I couldn't really care less one way or the other. I never responded to whether you liked it or not. If you have some sort of logical response to my post about plot holes, then feel free to address it any point, but if you're just going to respond with your own personal opinion, don't bother.

Yes, i did tell you where you were wrong, whether you got it or you didnt is entirely up to you.

You failed to realize that Kirk is smuggled on the ship, he doesnt have first officer training, there is no training, there is a test, he wasnt up to that point in the movie. He was a cadet turned first officer, by the captain, which was horribly done, than made captain by field appointment, which the person never keeps, nor gets going from cadet to captain.

Also, thank you for stopping iwth the personal insults.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2777955 said:
Yes, i did tell you where you were wrong, whether you got it or you didnt is entirely up to you.

You failed to realize that Kirk is smuggled on the ship, he doesnt have first officer training, there is no training, there is a test, he wasnt up to that point in the movie. He was a cadet turned first officer, by the captain, which was horribly done, than made captain by field appointment, which the person never keeps, nor gets going from cadet to captain.

Also, thank you for stopping iwth the personal insults.
So you think he showed up to the academy one day and apparently the VERY NEXT DAY was tested on knowing how to captain a starship? Could it possibly be that there was a time lapse in the movie wherein the students were provided training?

Wow, I know directors have to dumb movies down for the average viewer, but it's a stretch to ask them to get down to your level.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2777964 said:
So you think he showed up to the academy one day and apparently the VERY NEXT DAY was tested on knowing how to captain a starship? Could it possibly be that there was a time lapse in the movie wherein the students were provided training?

Wow, I know directors have to dumb movies down for the average viewer, but it's a stretch to ask them to get down to your level.

NO they dont, they make it real clear, he does the training for cadet in 3 years not 4. You might have missed it, but its kewl. I understand. These were kids, or youngsters who were giving a ship to fly around with, they make no bones about the mere fact that Chekov who was quoted as being 17 was on the bridge. So they clearly threw out extra training for bridge members of a ship. Again you missed that.

Much like Scottie, they just pick him up and he goes to head of engineering for the mere reason, they like him, i guess. Maybe the rest of engineering was dead, i dont know. Like Guli said, lots of plot holes. But hey, it gets a passing grade from you.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yeah plot holes out the yang. But what do you expect from Hollywood?
THose that know anything about ships crews and officers, and not even military ones at that, KNOW that it takes years of EXPERIENCE to be capeable of doing the missions.
NO one is going to be any good as a graduate of an academy alone.
Why do you think graduates of Annapolis are commissioned as ENSIGNS
not CAPTAINS?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Movie was pretty entertaining. I have no beef with spending my cash to see it. Kirk sure did get beat up a lot, though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2777986 said:
NO they dont, they make it real clear, he does the training for cadet in 3 years not 4. You might have missed it, but its kewl. I understand.
No, I got it. That training was the reason there was no plot hole. You claimed he went from being a cadet one day to a captain the next. That's obviously not true. He was a cadet, went through training, reached first officer level, was suspended, became acting first officer after being smuggled on ship, then promoted to captain in the field.

There's no hole. It all happened in sequence. There's no logical break.

These were kids, or youngsters who were giving a ship to fly around with, they make no bones about the mere fact that Chekov who was quoted as being 17 was on the bridge. So they clearly threw out extra training for bridge members of a ship. Again you missed that.
What's wrong with him being 17? You do realize that some kids are smart enough to start school early, no?

Much like Scottie, they just pick him up and he goes to head of engineering for the mere reason, they like him, i guess. Maybe the rest of engineering was dead, i dont know. Like Guli said, lots of plot holes. But hey, it gets a passing grade from you.
Scotty (for someone who "understood" the originals, you sure do have a problem spelling their names) invented the very technology they were using on the ship. I think that probably puts him above the rest of the egineering crew.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2778400 said:
No, I got it. That training was the reason there was no plot hole. You claimed he went from being a cadet one day to a captain the next. That's obviously not true. He was a cadet, went through training, reached first officer level, was suspended, became acting first officer after being smuggled on ship, then promoted to captain in the field.

There's no hole. It all happened in sequence. There's no logical break.

What's wrong with him being 17? You do realize that some kids are smart enough to start school early, no?

Scotty (for someone who "understood" the originals, you sure do have a problem spelling their names) invented the very technology they were using on the ship. I think that probably puts him above the rest of the egineering crew.

Im sorry, when listening to Tv Shows you dont get the correct spelling to their names. Also no, no one else knew he was GIVEN his own formula by Spock, so that promoted him to "NO ONE" still. Unless you got another version of the movie which shown every other engineer on the ship getting a memo that showed he did something. They didnt, so that made no sense either.

Chekov was still horrible. Its easier for you since you werent a Trekkie to begin with from the old days, but thats fine, i understand.

Also you dont invent, you discover, inventing is for inventions. Scotty would have discovered time travel and i highly doubt that as well. Yet another part of the movie which was mind boggling.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2778421 said:
theo taking on a trekkie about trekkie matters lol

and not even doing a good job. He does try tho. And the sad part is, im not even a true trekkie, but what the heck, he wants to see it as he wants to see it and to heck with evidence or fact.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ShiningStar;2778407 said:
Im sorry, when listening to Tv Shows you dont get the correct spelling to their names. Also no, no one else knew he was GIVEN his own formula by Spock, so that promoted him to "NO ONE" still. Unless you got another version of the movie which shown every other engineer on the ship getting a memo that showed he did something. They didnt, so that made no sense either.
No, he invented the technology. Spock just gave him the formula to some enhancement to the technoogy.

If you paid closer attention to the movie, you might have caught this.

Chekov was still horrible. Its easier for you since you werent a Trekkie to begin with from the old days, but thats fine, i understand.
Again, I couldn't care less about your personal opinion. We're talking about plot holes. And you've yet to point one out.

Also you dont invent, you discover, inventing is for inventions. Scotty would have discovered time travel and i highly doubt that as well. Yet another part of the movie which was mind boggling.
LOL! You most certainly do "invent" new technologies and devices. He invented the technology/device used on the starship.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
theogt;2778427 said:
No, he invented the technology. Spock just gave him the formula to some enhancement to the technoogy.

If you paid closer attention to the movie, you might have caught this.

Again, I couldn't care less about your personal opinion. We're talking about plot holes. And you've yet to point one out.

LOL! You most certainly do "invent" new technologies and devices. He invented the technology/device used on the starship.

He did not invent "Time travel" Im not even going to get into that one. And again, Spock gave him the piece he was going to discover in the future, but since Spock needed the time travel he gave the finished formula to Spock. Its a sad sad sad plot line, and it was horrible. Once Time Travel is discovered, or put into science fiction, the universe goes to heck.

What technology or device did he invent and use on the ship?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2778421 said:
theo taking on a trekkie about trekkie matters lol
No, I have no clue about "trekkie matters." I wouldn't argue about them as I don't care. I'm simply arguing the alleged plot holes in the recent movie.