State of the Franchise

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Finally something i want to respond to.

I'm worried that the oline needs a little bit of new blood.
I'm worried about how accurate or inaccurate Dak is or isn't.
I'm worried about how good these WR's are.
I'm worried about Jason Witten becoming so slow next season that he contributes nothing besides some decent blocking and a little leadership.
I'm worried about what Jaylon Smith is going to become and how long he can maintain a healthy status.

I think the coaching is not as bad as we make it out to be.
I think if Jerry is less involved atm/future we could benefit.
I think the youth could spark something special if they get rolling again, we lost to GB in the playoffs because these youngins started that game very slowly.
I think EE and Dak have to be the leaders of this team whether the fans like Dak or not.

I think the NFL is unstable, but i also think we are closer to becoming a dynasty than we have been in the last 20 years, which has been a terrible experience.

It's half futility because of the last 20 years and it's half optimism because there are a few nice pieces.

It shouldn't take a great organization 20+ years to win titles again, never mind no NFCC game appearances. At least Danny White kept this team in the final 4 a few times and if not for the greatness in Joe Montana Danny White would have won a SB maybe even two.

Jerry Jones is to be praised for buying the Cowboys when he did because if he didn't we would have three less SB wins, but Jerry Jones is also to be blamed for ruining the very thing he helped create. It's not a easy situation.

I'll be ready with all i have in me to cheer on the Cowboy's next season. The emotions do sway during the season, but ill be ready like i always am.

That's to much for me because most of this is basic 101 and no need to really type it. We all know whats what.

:star:
You had me right up until you said "I think the coaching is not as bad as we make it out to be."

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Mediocrity is the fashion trend and if you dont accept it, you are NOT a cowboys fan. Accept our putrid standards as quality.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's fine for you to feel that way. I'd rather not argue over minutiae.

Your only wanting to broad stroke our issues then? That’s fine and your prerogative if you choose to bow out in the more precise and trivial details. Understood..

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
It seems the pattern is...when we do well it's because we are not playing against a 1st place schedule from the previous year. Then we bomb in the playoffs, then sink the next year when we do play against the 1st place schedule.

Rinse and repeat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Mediocrity is the fashion trend and if you dont accept it, you are NOT a cowboys fan. Accept our putrid standards as quality.
It’s not just a trend but reality . Most of us accept or at least realize the obstacles our front office and coaching staff presents but yet we expect greater results.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your only wanting to broad stroke our issues then? That’s fine and your prerogative if you choose to bow out in the more precise and trivial details. Understood..

I'm not "bowing out" of anything. But I'm not dumb enough to think I've got it all figured out either. Again, if you want to keep thinking you have, that's your problem.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I love threads like this.

There are so many positives to talk about like the original poster stated.

So many.

But there are zero that matter in a true sense beyond hope and faith.

Now if you told me that Jerry Jones perished, Jason Garrett was fired, we were flush with cap room and got a couple extra premium draft picks, I might actually be all excited and stuff.
Would you be able to change, your "doom and gloom, witty' style of posting if this happened?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
It’s not just a trend but reality . Most of us accept or at least realize the obstacles our front office and coaching staff presents but yet we expect greater results.

i dont argue that and i dont want to beat a dead horse. I mainly took offense to the direction the OP wanted to enforce. But you are correct.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Philly has a better coaching staff that didn't spit the bit when they lost several key players.
Okay, good point, but if you're being honest, no one expected Philly to have this kind of turnaround. What the Eagles did is remarkable. Signing that many free agents in one off season usually never works out well.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Okay, good point, but if you're being honest, no one expected Philly to have this kind of turnaround. What the Eagles did is remarkable. Signing that many free agents in one off season usually never works out well.

if something doesnt always work out well, sometimes, just sometimes, you gotta start there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not "bowing out" of anything. But I'm not dumb enough to think I've got it all figured out either. Again, if you want to keep thinking you have, that's your problem.
I’m not saying I do but I’m not expecting more from someone who I knowingly don’t think can get it done .

But I think some of us do have a better feel for our symptoms and the solutions . A forum like this presents everyone to participate which often can present perceptions and perspectives we hadn’t considered or thought of ourselves . But to say “ no one” could have it right or at least partially right is not an option I’d ever considered from fans who otherwise have some interesting and in-depth thoughts.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Here is where the Cowboys sit:

-They have are 22-10 over the past two season.
-The Boys sit with one of the younger teams in the league. Lots of players are just entering their prime years.
-We aren't cap rich, but we probably sit better w/the cap than in previous years
-Final payment on Romo ($9 mil) will be paid soon
-We draft close to the middle of the first round, not at the end of rounds
-We have 3 bonus draft picks acquired because of prudent thinking in last season's free agency
-The secondary is looking really promising
-We have one of the best pass rushers in the game
-Zeke has no more suspensions hanging

If folks can't find a few positives to talk about...they are running from them because of their own bad attitude.

Now there's a switch, focusing on the positive. Either that or meant to attract the negative lol. Agree lots of reasons to be positive. Zeke keeping his nose clean would be at the top of the list

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
this team ended up pretty much where I thought they would and will continue to be with the model they have of running this team they are average not good enough to be good and not bad enough to have to change what is wrong there talent is average their coaches are average and there front office is average for over twenty years now that is what the stats say about them

Sydla

Reaction score

This kind of success? Probably not, but some did thing they would be better as they improved their team.

Let's not confuse what they did in FA with some other spend happy teams that have failed. They didn't sign one FA to a big long term deal last March. Jeffrey was a one year deal. Long was a one year deal. Smith might have been two years, but it's low money. Robinson was a one year deal. They traded for Jernigan by swapping 3rd round picks and he was on his last year of his contract when they got him.

They basically took on guys that at that time would cause no long term issues for them if they chose not to extend them.

What they did was smart. Something that we should also be doing but I suspect will ignore.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
this team ended up pretty much where I thought they would and will continue to be with the model they have of running this team they are average not good enough to be good and not bad enough to have to change what is wrong there talent is average their coaches are average and there front office is average for over twenty years now that is what the stats say about them
:hammer:

We're stuck with the average HC/OC for the next year and average GM unitl either dementia or death so, by reason of elimination, must improve talent to balance the short comings

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not saying I do but I’m not expecting more from someone who I knowingly don’t think can get it done .

No, you'd rather attempt to stock up everywhere else in an effort to overcome them. Or point your finger at another party as if that excuses Garrett. It doesn't.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This kind of success? Probably not, but some did thing they would be better as they improved their team.

Let's not confuse what they did in FA with some other spend happy teams that have failed. They didn't sign one FA to a big long term deal last March. Jeffrey was a one year deal. Long was a one year deal. Smith might have been two years, but it's low money. Robinson was a one year deal. They traded for Jernigan by swapping 3rd round picks and he was on his last year of his contract when they got him.

They basically took on guys that at that time would cause no long term issues for them if they chose not to extend them.

What they did was smart. Something that we should also be doing but I suspect will ignore.

Eagles smeagles. They aren't worthy of emulation just yet, not on one year of success.