Staubach: There’s accuracy issues but Dak’s gonna continue to be a great quarterback **merged**

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Roger is the 2nd best QBs in cowboys history after aikman.

He’s never said anything like this about romo. It speaks volumes to the testmenat of how much elite potential Dak has. Their is a reason he compared him to Tom Brady.

Give me a break. Ill take SB 10 times out of 10 over Aikman.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wrong Again

“Tony’s right there among the best in the NFL,” Staubach told the Star-Telegram. “If he’s healthy, he’ll be back playing. I think everybody realizes that. But I think Dak [Prescott] is going to keep them very competitive in the division until Tony gets back.”

Roger Staubach in 2016

Was that before, after, or during Dak's 11 game win streak his rookie year?

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
It's got to count more than a guy sitting at home eating Cheetoes while he watches the game.
That depends on what type Cheetos they are ingesting.
In my estimation, a Flamin' Hot consumer has much more football insight than your garden variety regular Cheetos couch coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why do you ignore all the gushing Roger did about Romo, but take his opinion of Dak as gospel?
Because it aligns with his narrative. If Roger had come out with a more negative statement like Troy has before then he wouldn’t embrace it.

AC was one of the leading Romo bashers and has taken a lead role hopping on Daks wagon because whoever takes us further than Romo did will in his mind prove he was right about Romo.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A lot of heads exploding right now. Half the fans want to agree with Roger that Dak is a great QB, but don't want to agree that Dak has accuracy issues because they've been arguing all along that that's a myth. The other half are just the opposite.

Roger has managed to get both sides to agree with him on an issue that has polar opposite opinions. He's brilliant .. shame he never ran for national office.
Bingo!! And he should have ran for office.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Incorrect. Roger is best QB this franchise ever had and I consider Aikman great. Staubach top 50 NFL player and made a lot of people rich.
Yea, to whom you responded is definitely a troll.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think Dak's really underrated at this point, too. He went sideways there for a bit, and I thought he might be going into the tank, but this year was really encouraging afaic.
I agree. He had the amazing start in 2016. Then took a turn back for most of 2017 following with another poor start this year but finished strong with some key signature games.

The inconsistency as Staubach eluded to is a concern and it appears fairly obvious Dak needs more supporting cast to excel.

Will we be able to consistently provide that support? That’s something I’m not hopeful of with our organization.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
when it comes right down to it though dak is not better than tony was in the playoffs if tony would of had better coaching on a different team he would of had a lot better won loss record in the playoffs the same will hold true for dak if he don't get to a different team with better coaching or dallas gets a better head coach his won loss record in the playoffs will not be very good

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, you believe without the winning wave in 2016 Daks personal performance would have been enough to keep Romo on the bench?
Sigh. 2016. The season when historical football perspective took a backseat to mass euphoria. Prior to that season, 180 NFL, AFL, NFC and AFC quarterbacks reached NFL, AFL, and Super Bowl championship games. 90 winning quarterbacks. 90 losing quarterbacks.

Anyone know the number of winning and runner-up rookie quarterbacks in NFL playoff history at that time?

Zero.

A Super Bowl opportunity is the highest and most difficult achievement in professional football (sorry Grey Cup lovers). Owners, coaches and players dream about playing for an NFL championship. Owners, coaches and players who have played in a Super Bowl dream of playing in more Super Bowls. Much is sacrificed by those lucky few who reach the rare pinnacle of football.

So.

Based on NFL history.

The odds of rookie quarterback-led teams, both reaching and/or achieving the sport's ultimate victory, are those akin to a gambler wagering his life savings on the Alabama Crimsom Tide winning the Super Bowl. Essentially, that season, decision-makers like Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett, along with a significant number of onlookers--some of whom I will always respect their opinions--adopted this mindset:

JD0I1S5.gif

Fascinating.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

It's 2019.

It's 2019 who?

It's 2019 and no rookie quarterback has still never competed for or won a championship in NFL playoff history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sigh. 2016. The season when historical football perspective took a backseat to mass euphoria. Prior to that season, 180 NFL, AFL, NFC and AFC quarterbacks reached NFL, AFL, and Super Bowl championship games. 90 winning quarterbacks. 90 losing quarterbacks.

Anyone know the number of winning and runner-up rookie quarterbacks in NFL playoff history at that time?

Zero.

A Super Bowl opportunity is the highest and most difficult achievement in professional football (sorry Grey Cup lovers). Owners, coaches and players dream about playing for an NFL championships. Owners, coaches and players who have played in a Super Bowl dream of playing in more Super Bowls. Much is sacrificed by those lucky few who reach the rare pinnacle of football.

So.

Based on NFL history.

The odds of rookie quarterback-led team, both reaching and/or achieving the sport's ultimate victory, are those akin to a gambler wagering his life savings on the Alabama Crimsom Tide winning the Super Bowl. Essentially, that season, decision-makers like Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett, along with a significant number of onlookers--some of whom I will always respect their opinions--adopted this mindset:

JD0I1S5.gif

Fascinating.

Knock knock.

Who's there?

It's 2019.

It's 2019 who?

It's 2019 and no rookie quarterback has still never competed for or won a championship in NFL playoff history.

How many rookie QBs have gone 13-2 (not counting the last game when Dak only played a couple of series)? Fact is, aside from inexperience, a large part of why rookie QBs don’t win is because they generally play on bad teams. Top teams generally aren’t replacing their proven, winning QBs with rookies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many rookie QBs have gone 13-2 (not counting the last game when Dak only played a couple of series)? Fact is, aside from inexperience, a large part of why rookie QBs don’t win is because they generally play on bad teams. Top teams generally aren’t replacing their proven, winning QBs with rookies.
Query. Why is the unquestionable fact rookie quarterbacks play for bad teams relevant to the Cowboys' 2016 season? That team had an average defense but a superior offense. It was a 'good team' led by a rookie quarterback.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Absolutely! What do you think Jerry and the Staff contemplated? Leaving a rookie starting over a 10 year franchise veteran simply based on the team's 9 game winning streak? The name of the game goes through the QB and how he is performing. Dak was outstanding after 10 games that 2016 season. There was no way the team was going to push such a performance under the rug simply to please their injury-prone 10 year veteran in Romo, regardless of Romo's past statistical history.

Dak was on fire. The team didn't even grant Romo's request to compete for his job back. That should tell you everything about just how good Dak was performing. The team even told Romo by season's end that he would not be considered their starter for the following 2017 season. Why would they do that? Answer: Dak's 2016 rookie record performance.
You are making things up with that last part. There is no evidence that he was told he would not be considered for the starting position in 2017 and beyond. As a matter of fact Garrett was given the opportunity by the media to say just this and he would not. This is in stark contrast to the Ravens this year, where immediately after the season Harbaugh did say that Jackson would be the starter over Flacco going forward.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Query. Why is the unquestionable fact rookie quarterbacks play for bad teams relevant to the Cowboys' 2016 season? That team had an average defense but a superior offense. It was a 'good team' led by a rookie quarterback.

The suggestion was that Dak shouldn’t have continued as the QB in 2016 because a rookie QB has never won the Super Bowl. Accordingly I think it’s fair to point out that isn’t always because the QB can’t handle it, and often it is because rookie QBs rarely get to play on a team that is good enough to win. Another point is there was a time when it was rare for a rookie QB to play at all, and it was common practice for a QB to sit and learn a couple of years before starting.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Let's not talk about if Roger's opinion matters or not. Let's just talk common sense. Qbs almost never suddenly become accurate. It's usually either you are or you are not thing.

Praying that in year 4 Dak suddenly gets accurate is wild.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's not talk about if Roger's opinion matters or not. Let's just talk common sense. Qbs almost never suddenly become accurate. It's usually either you are or you are not thing.

Your point is well taken, however It’s not as if Dak is miles from any semblance of accuracy. It’s not as if other QBs can hit a dime from 25 yards and he can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Just a mild improvement through better mechanics or better understanding of what he sees on the field would get him where he needs to be.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Praying for it is foolish, but hoping Kitna can help with his footwork and mechanics enough to improve his accuracy isn't too far fetched, IMO.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The suggestion was that Dak shouldn’t have continued as the QB in 2016 because a rookie QB has never won the Super Bowl.
'Suggestion' would be an understatement. Additionally, it is that no rookie quarterback-led team has competed in (e.g. runner-ups) and/or won (e.g. winning) 34 pre-Super Bowl era NFL championships and 6 AFL championships along with 53 Super Bowls.
Accordingly I think it’s fair to point out that isn’t always because the QB can’t handle it, and often it is because rookie QBs rarely get to play on a team that is good enough to win.
I will not argue fairness but I would accurately emphasize that particular circumstance neither applies to any rookie quarterback-led team in NFL playoff history nor the 2016 Dallas Cowboys team.
Another point is there was a time when it was rare for a rookie QB to play at all, and it was common practice for a QB to sit and learn a couple of years before starting.
There is no denying the rarity of the circumstance. It is also undeniable the circumstance surrounding the 2016 season ran counter to the possibility of the 2016 team either appearing in Super Bowl LI or winning it from the historical perspective.

History has some measure of relevancy in all things in life. Sports is not an exception.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That argument can be made. Same as the argument can be made that Danny White was better than Romo and Dak, since he actually got to a championship game and almost won it.

I can only tell you what I saw, watching all of these players play their entire career.