Staubach: There’s accuracy issues but Dak’s gonna continue to be a great quarterback **merged**

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"fallacy"? sort of.

Dak's 1.7% career INT% is stellar.
Rodgers 1.5, Brady 1.8, Brees 2.4, Romo 2.7, Roethlisberger 2.7

Rodgers didn't have a season under 2.0 unit his 5th year in the NFL. Brady didn't get under 2.0 until his 7th season..
Romo's INT% didn't get below 3.0 until his 4th season starting, same as Roethlisberger.

Tony often went brain dead. With Tony it was 10 a season, which ain't bad, about the same as Troy, Danny, or Rodger.

Dak doesn't very often. actually as little as any. I've seen Dak throw about 10 really idiotic passes in his career.

Dak will wander into a sacks ... but he rarely does dumb things with the ball. Which is a lot of why I like him.

Look at it like this - in the last 8 reg season games, Dak threw for 70%, 12 TDs, 3 INTs, with 28 sacks ... 7-1 record.
That takes a rare mental (and physical) toughness Tony did not have.
These numbers are a great example how well Dak manages the game within his abilities. The kid is a gamer and a winner but that doesn’t make him a more prolific passer than Romo or many of the greats in the NFL who’s teams didn’t have more success which wasn’t directly because of their abilities.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well we know Roger supports the troops and Risen Star hates everything
Risen Star appears to me to be that critical reason of balance that’s needed amongst the more homeristic view.

We can support the troops while being critical. Much like you’d support any loved one while offering criticism.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s very likely with the talent we have if we can maintain it around Dak we’re going to have more team success but that doesn’t equate into Dak is a greater or more prolific passing QB than Romo.

Blackrain

Reaction score
You want these hands?

Roger is a cheerleader for the team. His opinion literally couldn't mean less to me.

Well its Ground Hog day here at Cowboys zone and it looks like we are in for a long negative off season with this JackWagon and his miserable band of Dak Bashers

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Give me a break, yet another person who is clueless about comparing seasons that are more than a few years apart. There is nothing special about Dak’s interception totals. He’s playing in an all-time peak era for QBs avoiding interceptions. We saw last year that when Dak was put into situations where he was behind and having to air it out, he racked up interceptions by the boatload. Combine it with his bonehead fumbling and over the last 2 years he is one of the most turnover prone QBs in the league. Plus unlike Rodgers, Brady, etc. he is not able to maintain high TD totals while keeping the interceptions low. He just doesn't take any chances period, cutting out the good and the bad.
There’s much truth to this. Our coaching staff has managed the playcalling within Daks abilities. And part of why our Redzone offense was so inept this year because we simply limited our playcalling to avoid turnovers.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Risen Star appears to me to be that critical reason of balance that’s needed amongst the more homeristic view.

We can support the troops while being critical. Much like you’d support any loved one while offering criticism.

I don't see much balance the guy is negative and we have had enough negative to deal with over the last 20 yrs . So when we are actually making some progress turned a season around , made a good trade, won a playoff game , is it necessary to just dwell on the negative constantly .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agreed Romo never lacked confidence . Tony was a Gambler a risk taker and manipulated the whole game to do what he liked to do pass the ball . Sometimes it was a highlight reel other times it sent us home frustrated . Tony was in love with his arm and never afraid to pull the trigger . This addiction was exposed at times by great defenses that could bait him into throwing by just pulling a guy up into the box.
The team we had around Romo dictated the risk taking. We lived and died by the sword but we basically had no chance most years without that sword.

We had a base of fans who bashed Romo since the choke in Seattle and many of those are the ones who are Daks more ardent supporters. It’s a divide unfortunately in our fans.

I was often a critic of Romo and I am also of Dak. But when comparing their passing skills there are sharp contrast. That said Dak has some assets Romo didn’t have.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't see much balance the guy is negative and we have had enough negative to deal with over the last 20 yrs . So when we are actually making some progress turned a season around , made a good trade, won a playoff game , is it necessary to just dwell on the negative constantly .
You missed my point. I meant his criticism presents balance to the homeristic rhetoric in the forum.

This would be a boring place if we all spun it the same direction.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s not necessarily true. It was the winning wave of the team while Dak was in there that prevented Romo from returning not his personal performance.
Really, Greg? Let's see...

c7pKUBK.jpg

During the first 10 games of that 2016 season (10th game was right before the Thanksgiving game where we were told Romo was fully healed from his broken back, was leading the practice squad in practice, and had asked for a QB competition in practice in order to try to win his starting role back), Dak was averaging 264 yards passing/game with a 69.19% completions average, 1.7 TDs passed/game, a passer rating average of 111.72, a franchise low 0.2 INTs/game, had led an Offense to averaging 28.5 points/game and a 9-1 record.

As you can see, Dak's performance most definitely was what prevented Romo from ever returning to his previous 10 year starter's role.

Remember, Dak was named to the Pro Bowl along with being named the 2016 NFL Rookie of the Year!

Are you sure you don't want to give Dak his rightful due credit?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Really, Greg? Let's see...

c7pKUBK.jpg

During the first 10 games of that 2016 season (10th game was right before the Thanksgiving game where we were told Romo was fully healed from his broken back, was leading the practice squad in practice, and had asked for a QB competition in practice in order to try to win his starting role back), Dak was averaging 264 yards passing/game with a 69.19% completions average, 1.7 TDs passed/game, a passer rating average of 111.72, a franchise low 0.2 INTs/game, had led an Offense to averaging 28.5 points/game and a 9-1 record.

As you can see, Dak's performance most definitely was what prevented Romo from ever returning to his previous 10 year starter's role.

Remember, Dak was named to the Pro Bowl along with being named the 2016 NFL Rookie of the Year!

Are you sure you don't want to give Dak his rightful due credit?
So, you believe without the winning wave in 2016 Daks personal performance would have been enough to keep Romo on the bench?

Romotil45

Reaction score

He forgot the fact that Dak keeps throwing the ball right at defenders prob because he doesn't read defense well. Dak's thrown the ball right at defenders on multiple occasions this year that were dropped. He had one in the probowl picked. : facepalm :

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So, you believe without the winning wave in 2016 Daks personal performance would have been enough to keep Romo on the bench?
Absolutely! What do you think Jerry and the Staff contemplated? Leaving a rookie starting over a 10 year franchise veteran simply based on the team's 9 game winning streak? The name of the game goes through the QB and how he is performing. Dak was outstanding after 10 games that 2016 season. There was no way the team was going to push such a performance under the rug simply to please their injury-prone 10 year veteran in Romo, regardless of Romo's past statistical history.

Dak was on fire. The team didn't even grant Romo's request to compete for his job back. That should tell you everything about just how good Dak was performing. The team even told Romo by season's end that he would not be considered their starter for the following 2017 season. Why would they do that? Answer: Dak's 2016 rookie record performance.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
Staubach's a retired billionaire who doesn't need anything from Jerry, so I appreciate his opinion over others. I hope Dak proves him right because otherwise we're back to the drawing board.
I love Roger and his opinion. But his net worth is 6 million. Not quite a billionaire.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Roger is the 2nd best QBs in cowboys history after aikman.

He’s never said anything like this about romo. It speaks volumes to the testmenat of how much elite potential Dak has. Their is a reason he compared him to Tom Brady.
Come on man! He is using Brady as an example and he didnt say Brady had the issue, he said Brady probably had an issue. Dak is in no way comparable to Brady. It wouldnt surprise me if every Cowboy fan in this forum has watched more football than Staubach the last 20 years.

Number1

Reaction score
Give me a break, yet another person who is clueless about comparing seasons that are more than a few years apart. There is nothing special about Dak’s interception totals. He’s playing in an all-time peak era for QBs avoiding interceptions. We saw last year that when Dak was put into situations where he was behind and having to air it out, he racked up interceptions by the boatload. Combine it with his bonehead fumbling and over the last 2 years he is one of the most turnover prone QBs in the league. Plus unlike Rodgers, Brady, etc. he is not able to maintain high TD totals while keeping the interceptions low. He just doesn't take any chances period, cutting out the good and the bad.

Super_Kazuyam you're right about 1 thing, Dak has to throw more TDs his 4.5 career TD% is weak, and has to get fixed this off season

NFL INTs are down lately but I heard a stat the other night might help you get a clue
Rodgers set the all time low for a full 16 game season with a 0.3 INT% this year
the only other full season QBs under 1.0 ever are Brady who did it twice, and Dak his rookie year at 0.9

you said "he is one of the most turnover prone QBs in the league"
prove that statement
The Boys were like 27th in TOs in 2018
Dak had 14 TOs (8 INTs, 6 FL)
Goff 17 TOs (12 INTs, 5 FL), Wentz 13 TOs (7 INTs, 6 FL ... in 11 games), Luck threw 15 INTs in his career best 7th seson

but let's cut to the chase - the great leveler for QBs has been, is, and always will be the 2 minute drill
because it's independent of scheme and the QB is calling most plays at the LOS

since coming in the NFL only 1 QB has put up better 2 minute numbers,
Brady 14 TDs, 0 INTs
Dak 16 TDs, 2 INTs
Ben R 19 TDs, 7 INTs
Wilson 16 TDs, 5 INTs (same as Romo's last 3 full seasons)
Brees 15 TDs, 6 INTs
Rodgers 9 TDs, 4 INTs

Those other 5 QBs are headed to the HOF, all have 5 more years of experience than Dak, and only Brady has won more games in the last 3 years

as for the youngsters

Dak 16 TDs, 2 INTs
Wentz 10 TDs, 4 INTs
Mahomes 7 TDs, 5 INTs, (2018)
Goff 5 TDs, 5 INTs

like most of the Dak haters you are making things up

Hadenough

Reaction score
And part of why our Redzone offense was so inept this year because we simply limited our playcalling to avoid turnovers.
I think the redzone offense has suffered under Dak is a direct relation to his accuracy. Along with his accuracy is his confidence in his ability to put the ball into tight windows and he would rather throw a fade route or run the ball than throw a quick slant over the middle. The field gets compressed and the traffic confuses Dak along with no confidence in his arm. Play calling allows Dak the choice of throwing over the middle but he opts out quickly.

Hadenough

Reaction score
since coming in the NFL only 1 QB has put up better 2 minute numbers,
Brady 14 TDs, 0 INTs
Dak 16 TDs, 2 INTs
Ben R 19 TDs, 7 INTs
Wilson 16 TDs, 5 INTs (same as Romo's last 3 full seasons)
Brees 15 TDs, 6 INTs
Rodgers 9 TDs, 4 INTs

When you look at these two min drills you have to ask yourself was this just a tough game against a very good opponent or was this a game Dallas should of easily won but allowed the other team back into the game by having anemic offense most of the game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely! What do you think Jerry and the Staff contemplated? Leaving a rookie starting over a 10 year franchise veteran simply based on the team's 9 game winning streak? The name of the game goes through the QB and how he is performing. Dak was outstanding after 10 games that 2016 season. There was no way the team was going to push such a performance under the rug simply to please their injury-prone 10 year veteran in Romo, regardless of Romo's past statistical history.

Dak was on fire. The team didn't even grant Romo's request to compete for his job back. That should tell you everything about just how good Dak was performing. The team even told Romo by season's end that he would not be considered their starter for the following 2017 season. Why would they do that? Answer: Dak's 2016 rookie record performance.
Do you think they would have made the same decision based on 2017 performance?