Steele Is Broken, so what now?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Steele has been bad to really bad all year. Spare me the hyperbolic nonsense. I'm not suggesting he has to be cut, but if his knee isn't right then sit him for a while until it is.
No, he hasn't.
They're not going to sit him, he's recovered. He wouldn't be out there. It doesn't magically get better at RT with a backup.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smart GM would treat this as his 100%. Really anyone coming off major injury should have to work their way up beating out the other guys at his position to get the starting job back. Steele right now is a terrible player, not even backup quality. Handing him a starting spot does the team harm.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No, he hasn't.
They're not going to sit him, he's recovered. He wouldn't be out there. It doesn't magically get better at RT with a backup.
On the season he has graded out as the 73rd out of 77 T's in the league. Even if you hate PFF, the Eye test along with their data suggests that you are 100% incorrect. It's been bad. And if this is him fully recovered as you suggest, then we are screwed.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yep, he's the 22nd best paid RT in 2023. If we hadnt got a deal sorted out any deals, next season we'd have gaps at: LT, RT and C. He's coming of an ACL, what are we expecting?
Remember some of our so called fans want to trade Parsons, picks and CeeDee for the right to draft Caleb Williams. Then would cut Dak. :laugh:

Smith22

Reaction score
I can only hope Jerry and company have learned their lesson now about NOT paying injured players (Steele, MG) early when you don't need to.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
PFF gave Steele a 15 for pass blocking Sunday. That's the lowest score I've ever seen. :laugh:

Stephen claimed it was because of how good the Eagles passrushers are, but the clown prince ignores how bad Steele has been in every other game this year. He's awful, and those idiots have ensured they're stuck with him for at least 2 more seasons.

Big D

Reaction score
The Eagles DE lead the league in sacks last yr. He isn't a usual matchup Steele faces.
This. Four pages of whining and crying before someone actually gives any respect to the opponent. The dude was facing Montez Sweat who's out there running like a receiver. I bet Micah Parsons probably couldn't block him.
It's more of a failure on the coaching staff not to give him any help but he should be fine when he's not playing an Olympic sprinter at DE.

Reactions: G2

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This. Four pages of whining and crying before someone actually gives any respect to the opponent. The dude was facing Montez Sweat who's out there running like a receiver. I bet Micah Parsons probably couldn't block him.
It's more of a failure on the coaching staff not to give him any help but he should be fine when he's not playing an Olympic sprinter at DE.
He's been bad all year, so yeah, going against an elite pass rushers is going to make him look even worse. Doesn't eliminate the fact that he has played poorly all year. Just highlighted it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
We can't keep sending him out there every week when he is consistently dragging this line down. At this point he's probably the lowest graded RT in the league. So what should the plan be? Clearly Steele is still not 100% and needs some time to rest. Or maybe this is his 100% now and it's time for a more permanent change?

Can Richards play RT any worse than Steele right now? This seems like the least disruptive option?

Should we move Tyron to RT and put Richards at LT?

Move Tyler to LT, Tyron to RT and Bass to LG?

Any FAs out there? That can come play RT (or LG to give us some flexibility)

Thoughts?

Steel is still rehabbing from his major injury.

The problem should have been thought of and taken care of in the offseason. FO hadnt. Trading deadline is over. Train moved on.

You are asking for solutions ? There is nothing to be done when people are bad at their job.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
So you sign a guy coming off a major injury and you get rid of the coach that got him to his high level. This front office is just dumb.

John813

Reaction score
The last two OL coaches have not panned out under McCarthy.

And the Solari hire is looking even worse than Joe Philibin.
So I no longer trust McCarthy in that OL coach search anymore.
I admit I was never a fan of Philbin going back to his Miami days. However, I thought here just as an O-Line coach we saw some growth from Biadasz and Steele, and players like Smith(Tyron) and Martin kept up at their high level of play. Seemed like Philbin didn't want to rock the boat in terms of changing up technique aspects such as hand/footwork like Alexander did.

So, I have to say I was concerned he wasn't re-signed and they went in another direction for a coach that not also ran different schemes but also was a bit more hands on for technique.

quickccc

Reaction score
We cannot risk our QB taking such hits and punishment for the sake of curdling Steele.
That's the Chaz Green saga all over again.

We cannot be content having him to work out the kinks at the risk of our QB.
And we cannot water down an offense that was already having conservative dink n dunk issues
because we are so afraid of our starting RT.

Plan B is to keep reserve Chuma on full alert and ready to sub quickly should Steele not seem to
be working out his issues.

This may be a case where Steele needs an offseason combine with reserve play to have a chance to return to '23 form. But we cannot let him sabotage our season by risking exposing hits to our QB.