Twitter: Stephen Jones admits they would have reached for a cornerback had Horn or Surtain been there

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
This was the dumbest encounter I have ever had on this site.

And that is baselined against 30ydSlant, Bob Sacamano and 4-5 other gems whom dont deserve the callout for the comparative

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
And in case the noob didnt mute me. That HOF Peyton Manning best year ever in 2013, 55 TDs etc got taken to the woodshed 43-8 by Seattle. HIs last year in Denver, the HOF QB played 10 games had 9 TD against 17 INTs, got benched, but won a SB 24-10 over Carolina.

defense may matter 1 out of every 5 SB guys Reid1boys has it figured

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This was the dumbest encounter I have ever had on this site.

And that is baselined against 30ydSlant, Bob Sacamano and 4-5 other gems whom dont deserve the callout for the comparative
Lol @ 30 yard slant

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sure. But you’re not supposed to draft lesser players for need. At least ideally you’re not supposed to.

I think we get more caught up in the lesser thing more than the teams do. Teams like Dallas use tiered rankings, so although one player may be higher-rated, he might not be in a separate tier. This allows the team to take a player at a position of need if he's in the same tier as a higher-rated player because there's just not that much that separates them.

Draft evaluation is far from a perfect process, so teams aren't going to be married to being able to absolutely distinguish between the top-rated defender and the second-rated one, unless there's a clear difference. Too much is being made of this IMO.

kumizi

Reaction score
I love to clown on the Jones family but #1 Corner is a way more important/impactful position than a 4-3 type (non edge rushing) LB.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Ain't buying it. They manipulated the draft to go exactly how they wanted it to go. They drummed up excitement for Surtain and horn for so long so that Parsons, whom they had as #1 defender on their board, would fall enough for them to be able to get him.

We got exactly who we should of.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ain't buying it. They manipulated the draft to go exactly how they wanted it to go. They drummed up excitement for Surtain and horn for so long so that Parsons, whom they had as #1 defender on their board, would fall enough for them to be able to get him.

We got exactly who we should of.

You really think that?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i honestly don’t get the attitudes towards LB amongst some folks.

I am trying to think back to some of the best defenses in the past couple of decades. They almost all have had a stud LB or two that were a key player for the defense.

Ravens: Ray Lewis
Seattle: Bobby Wagner
Panthers: Keuchly
Bears: Urlacher
Bucs: years with Derrick Brooks. Most recently Devin White
49ers: Patrick Willis
Patriots: Hightower most recently but previously guys like Vrabel, Mcginest, Bruschi

I mean. I just don’t get where the idea came from that LB’s aren’t impact players for a defense. There is a long long list of great LB’s who have been absolute difference makers for a defense. Even in the modern NFL

Well you're just not infected. That's why you don't understand.

Anyone who has a direct impact on the line of scrimmage is an infinitely more important player than a cornerback.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever way you want to massage what you said.

Surtain was taken 1 pick before us. We traded back afterwards.

Whatever agenda you got.

I'm not massaging what he said. I'm literally quoting him. They had Parsons the highest rated defensive player on their board but they would have taken a lower rated player on their board if they were there.

That's reaching.

Proof

Reaction score
Yep. We thought Parsons was the best but oh yeah we would have taken one of those cornerbacks. I mean, naturally.

This is the vaccine we should really be worried about.

i mean we’re talking degrees of separation, and CB was the much more pressing need. not to mention both cbs were drafted before micah and by teams that easily could’ve gotten a haul for their spot.

Proof

Reaction score
It’s obvious why they’d admit now. In case Parsons doesn’t bloom and or either CB’s do.

What a dysfunctional ownership. Lol

this is one of the weirdest takes i’ve read lol. by all accounts micah is as advertised and requires no hedging of bets. not to mention that saving face is nowhere near necessary at this stage. just sounds like some honesty and candor

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this is one of the weirdest takes i’ve read lol. by all accounts micah is as advertised and requires no hedging of bets. not to mention that saving face is nowhere near necessary at this stage. just sounds like some honesty and candor
But why now come out with it? What purpose does it serve?

They weren’t honest initially.

Big_D

Reaction score
\I saw 8-8 last year and a defense that had holes like a cheese grater. When I see a difference on the FIELD then Ill actually say there is a defensive improvement. Every year we hear how great they look in CAMP. Thats like saying I look amazing on a speed back.. then when I get in ring I learn the other guy hits back.

Who said you dont evaluate and have a plan to build a team? Try not to put words in my mouth. If you want to quote me, fine, otherwise stop making stupid comments and attributing them to me.

And Randy isnt a head case, he was working on his mental health just Like Osaka and Biles... hes a real champion and pillar of strength like those two American Heroes.

You still have to draft smart. No trade ups, no injuries, no head cases or the bare minimum in that department since they are unavoidable at times, no backup TEs or special teamers. The list goes on.. this team took ridiculous gambles early and often through the Garrett era.. Sure they found some good players, but it was offset by the foolishness of the rest of it. Everyone says build through the draft because this is where it starts. And yes these players have to show it, but at least they're being smart about it. And I'm sure they aren't done if it don't work out. They could stop drafting DTs right now for the next decade and still be ahead of what Garrett and Marinelli did. It was a sham. I don't see how I'm putting words in your mouth when you don't see the difference? You came right to Garrett's defense. Refusing to see the clown show here. Specially on the defensive side of the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
I love to clown on the Jones family but #1 Corner is a way more important/impactful position than a 4-3 type (non edge rushing) LB.
It's the opposite.

A game changer such as Parsons on D is much more valuable than any corner.