Twitter: Stephen Jones admits they would have reached for a cornerback had Horn or Surtain been there

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I would have taken Horn over Parsons personally.

I feel bad for the mods that have to read all this drivel.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would have taken Horn over Parsons personally.

I feel bad for the mods that have to read all this drivel.
The bigger point here is that we were poised to take Horn or Surtain . But after they were selected right in front of us we pivoted to take Parsons and pick up a Third round pick which was an excellent move after the fact.

I think the general consensus was it was a good move and pick as Parsons was considered best defensive talent on the board .

But the reason this is a topic is when questioned after the draft our FO said Parsons was our intention all along which went against what most felt was the truth regardless if we came out well.

Only now are they coming out admitting those of us who questioned their admissions were right. The bigger questions now is why are they coming out at this time to admit what most of us knew was the case.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't see the word "reach", or an equivalent thereof, in the tweet.

The fact the Cowboys had Parsons rated somewhat higher than Surtain or Horn doesn't mean they felt drafting one of those guys would have been a reach.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Yep. We thought Parsons was the best but oh yeah we would have taken one of those cornerbacks. I mean, naturally.

This is the vaccine we should really be worried about.
Amen, SJ is more than a chip off the old block. He's becoming the old block at a younger age.
Scary!!

DenCWBY

Reaction score
This is what I love about our dysfunctional ownership. They just can’t help but promote themselves divulging info most front offices never would.

But this shouldn’t surprise anyone as it’s what most of us thought going in. But amazing they feel the need to disclose. Just pitiful but laughable . Lol
:hammer:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't see the word "reach", or an equivalent thereof, in the tweet.

The fact the Cowboys had Parsons rated somewhat higher than Surtain or Horn doesn't mean they felt drafting one of those guys would have been a reach.

You're right. You didn't see him mention reach. Probably because no team would ever admit to do so. You just have to know what a reach is and then it's all there for you.

If you get confused send me a DM. I'll walk you through it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The bigger point here is that we were poised to take Horn or Surtain . But after they were selected right in front of us we pivoted to take Parsons and pick up a Third round pick which was an excellent move after the fact.

I think the general consensus was it was a good move and pick as Parsons was considered best defensive talent on the board .

But the reason this is a topic is when questioned after the draft our FO said Parsons was our intention all along which went against what most felt was the truth regardless if we came out well.

Only now are they coming out admitting those of us who questioned their admissions were right. The bigger questions now is why are they coming out at this time to admit what most of us knew was the case.

So they lied to the public about the draft process. And nevermind that the NFL as a whole "agreed" with them by selecting the two corners first.

No, this is about Risen's anti-corner schtick which is ironic considering how similar it is to Hostile's thing about kickers.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right. You didn't see him mention reach. Probably because no team would ever admit to do so. You just have to know what a reach is and then it's all there for you.

If you get confused send me a DM. I'll walk you through it.
For me a "reach" is a player drafted significantly higher than his talent and the expectations for him would warrant. I haven't seen anything that suggests that would be the case with Surtain or Horn, or that the Cowboys felt that way about Surtain or Horn, and the fact both were taken before the Cowboys turn to draft indicates other teams didn't feel that way either.

If you have a different definition, or have a reason to believe NFL teams considered the 12th pick much too high to draft Surtain or Horn I'm happy to listen to it.

Regardless, the headlines indicate Stephen Jones admitted those guys would have been a reach, and he did not indicate that. All he indicated was that a team need would have bumped one player over another they rated somewhat higher. We don't even know how much higher. For all we know it may have only been very slightly.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So they lied to the public about the draft process. And nevermind that the NFL as a whole "agreed" with them by selecting the two corners first.

No, this is about Risen's anti-corner schtick which is ironic considering how similar it is to Hostile's thing about kickers.
The question I have is why did they lie to the public. And why come out and confess now.??

I’m not really interested in Risens angle. I’m interested in our Front Offices angle.

kskboys

Reaction score
The question I have is why did they lie to the public. And why come out and confess now.??

I’m not really interested in Risens angle. I’m interested in our Front Offices angle.
Because they're utter morons trying to act as if they're not?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Are you really asking why teams lie about their draft process?

Teams do this all the time. It is not in a team's interest to be transparent about their draft strategy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen is full of as much BS as his daddy. They botched the draft as usual. Parsons may be a great player, but team Jones once again showed they don't know what they are doing in the draft. Backing into Parsons doesn't change that.

I just love the history re-write going on. I don't know why they bother with the lies and just say we missed on the CBs and took the BPA.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Are you really asking why teams lie about their draft process?

Teams do this all the time. It is not in a team's interest to be transparent about their draft strategy.
No, I’m referring to why they lied about it after the fact. And now fessing up.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stephen is full of as much BS as his daddy. They botched the draft as usual. Parsons may be a great player, but team Jones once again showed they don't know what they are doing in the draft. Backing into Parsons doesn't change that.

I just love the history re-write going on. I don't know why they bother with the lies and just say we missed on the CBs and took the BPA.
I was thinking the same. They backed into the right pick. I don't see any way that the two CB's will anywhere near the impact on the game as Parsons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Parsons SHOULD have been the target from the start. No way he should've been available past the 5th or 6th pick.

I'm glad we got Parson but if that is the case what does it say about teams who passed on him to get the top CB in the draft?