Twitter: Stephen Jones - Cowboys could draft a couple of receivers

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
If we draft multiple receivers, we obviously plan on either cutting or trading a couple already on the roster because there simply isn't room for 2 or more.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

Let’s assume they draft two receivers, who do you guys think gets cut? I’m assuming most peeps will say the bottom three on the list? Maybe a couple will say twill and wo of the bottom three. Just guessing

+
We can't cut Williams. His total salary this year is guaranteed. A trade would be possible, but not a cut.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I wonder if there are plans to start the season with Williams on PUP due to his foot injury/surgery??? I wouldn't think it would still be a problem by the start of the season, but that would be a way to keep a lower round rookie WR on the 53 to see what he can do. Then again, how much would the 5th or 6th WR play in the first 6 games? Very little if at all, but he could still be on the roster and practice.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
what makes you say that? This is one of the more loaded wr drafts I can remember.

Sidenote, I think they do come away with two wr's if calloway is available when their comp 4th's roll around.
It's a deep draft from bottom 1st to top of the 4th in WRs. It has very solid WRs some as decent #2 types and more than a few stellar #3/slot types.

As far as #1's I think it will be a surprise one or two guys drafted in the 4th or lower, big guys that are better in the pros than they were in college. Your Callaway ex. is good if he were still there in the 5th or 6th I would do it as a flyer pick.

2014 and 2015 were the good WR draft drafts, I thought we would try to grab one somewhere in those.

Little known fact, historically WR is one of the worst picks in the 1st and 2nd, particularly the 2nd. Also I think of many Superbowl winners who have focused on Oline/running game, also defense and usually a smart Qb that makes few mistakes.

Personally I am fine if we go defense first three picks instead of overreacting to WR as a grave position of need.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Now Stephen is messing with us. I'll bet my season tickets the Cowboys don't draft two WRs in this coming draft. They take another as a FA after the draft but they aren't drafting a 2nd WR.

Proof

Reaction score
It's a deep draft from bottom 1st to top of the 4th in WRs. It has very solid WRs some as decent #2 types and more than a few stellar #3/slot types.

As far as #1's I think it will be a surprise one or two guys drafted in the 4th or lower, big guys that are better in the pros than they were in college. Your Callaway ex. is good if he were still there in the 5th or 6th I would do it as a flyer pick.

2014 and 2015 were the good WR draft drafts, I thought we would try to grab one somewhere in those.

Little known fact, historically WR is one of the worst picks in the 1st and 2nd, particularly the 2nd. Also I think of many Superbowl winners who have focused on Oline/running game, also defense and usually a smart Qb that makes few mistakes.

Personally I am fine if we go defense first three picks instead of overreacting to WR as a grave position of need.

Oh yeah for a sure shot number 1 this probably isn’t the draft. But for the reasons you stated about historical trends for wr is why I like this year as opposed to others. I’d rather double down on some mid round talented guys. Not advocating it though I’d love to grab D early and often

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
LOL at all the guys in the other thread saying "WR is really not a need for this team".

I guess Stephen didn't got the memo, he plans to use 2 or 3 of our 10 picks on WRs.

This board is going to be hilarious when use 30% of our draft picks on WRs:laugh:
Going to be?! Yall haters make this place hilarious 24x7.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
The position is so deep that’s it’s likely that a WR will be the top player on their board in more than one round. It’s very similar to CB last year. They could end up taking more than 1 just by taking BPA.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I figured we would. I honestly believe our first three picks will be linebacker wide receiver ol. But rumors are if a certain player falls we’ve been in touch with the packers and few other teams around that range.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Let’s assume they draft two receivers, who do you guys think gets cut? I’m assuming most peeps will say the bottom three on the list? Maybe a couple will say twill and wo of the bottom three. Just guessing

Hurns and Beasley are the only locks on that list. If your willing to cut Dez, might as well makeover the whole group. TW was as bad as anyone last season and he's making a lot of money. I'll be shocked if this isn't his last year as a cowboy even if he makes the opening day roster.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If they draft a 2nd wr, they had better have traded one prior to that. If a late round rookie is better than Brown, then it says a lot about the coaching staff. Personally, I don’t believe anything anyone says before the draft. It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t take a wr until the 4th or 5th round.

ghst187

Reaction score
I’m interested in Cedrick Wilson in the very late rounds if we are taking two Wrs

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You mean its not good draft strategy to tell everybody you plan to draft multiple WRs just one week before the draft?
Smoke screen..

You guys are so gullable.

Misdirection

Slight of hand.

Here today..gone tomorrow.

Dallas is not going to tip their hand a week before the draft.

How many drafts have you guys seen?

Some of you guys is ROOKIES.