Video: Stephen Jones: Dak is more like Aikman than Romo

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Aikman could not even start in today’s NFL

vladimir-putin-laughing.gif

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the statement (other than the 61.5%, sorry about that, must have superimposed his last couple of years as the career total), he does have a lower completion percentage than Dak for his career.

It is also true what you say about the differences in the game but that doesn't make the statement untrue. I just think that the inaccuracy knock on Dak is very overblown and exaggerated.
Yes your statement is in fact true but again its not intellectually honest and doesn't add much to the discussion.

Its like when some want to compare Garretts first few years with Landrys - first four years Landry only won 13 games, Garrett won 29 - now yes that statement

is true but does it really say anything when we include all factors?

You say "that the inaccuracy knock on Dak is very overblown and exaggerated" - now that is a fair statement which I know is discussed a lot around here - I just dont think comparing both QBs comp pct says much at this point.

cern

Reaction score
Troy's way produced super bowls. Ergo, I hope he's more like troy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not sure why you're taking that stance. I happen to like Dak and am fully in favor of giving him every opportunity to prove himself, both now and later. To be fair to Dak, this is no time to compare him to a QB who has been inducted into the Hall of Fame. I think Dak will be fine and come back this year to vindicate himself from the criticisms of the past year. No defense in his favor is needed in my estimation. He'll be back to Dak and he'll improve greatly.

You might want to cool it with the Aikman disrespect. It takes more than one man to win an NFL game, even if he happens to get outstanding help. You'd surely be outnumbered by thousands if you don't think Troy Aikman had exceptional qualities as a QB.

I firmly believe there are many good reasons why he's in the Hall of Fame. He was the most accurate QB we've ever had, for one thing. The Cowboys won largely because of Aikman and certainly not despite him. Yes, he had a better nucleus of players around him back then but then, so did the opposition. It was a totally different era back then before the pay cap existed.
its more of get the f off Daks azz because Aikman as great as he was had much worse numbers early and late in his career and for sure has many many more INTs and led TD than Romo..im not dissing Aikman im telling people give dak a dang chance before you say he sux and needs to be replaced already..not comparing them comparing their numbers and the fact is a lot of early Aikmans number were bad and we he lost his bug guns he didnt always win youi know like Dak was supposed to do without Zeke and Smith and many others..they say its an excuse but crazy aikman went 0-2 without Smith and thats with a superbowl caliber team..thats what im saying..not disrespect to aikmans its telling those destroying Dak after two seasons in which his number sna W-L are far better than most any Cowboy QB to date..thats all/.. why would i need to cool it, first amendment says i can say whatever i want within the rules of this Forum....lol

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can people just stop taking this comment out of context and throwing a fit over it?

The context was clear. Dak is more like Aikman than Romo in the sense of of being better working within a system than improvising. Stephen was just using Aikman and Romo as exemplars to illustrate the distinction between working within a system vs. improvising. He wasn't claiming that Dak is as good as Aikman, or ever will be.Just stop it.
Agreed, BBDD, but they won't stop. It doesn't fit their agenda of attacking Dak at any chance they get, even if they have to twist the facts about the story.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You can or can't think of another Dak comeback passing performance in his 2 years reign?
the green bay playoff game twice..not his fault the defense sucks..same with the regular season GB game where were up by 12 points at the half the packer scame back and he pulled off alate rally to be up once again only to leave 1:13 left and AR wins ..thats on the D im tired of the naysayers say we scored too quick..really it was open he had to score we were down and if a d cant stop a team with 1:13 left with the whole field in front of him and a TD needed, its the defense not the offense that blew the rams game and both GB games..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
its more of get the f off Daks azz because Aikman as great as he was had much worse numbers early and late in his career and for sure has many many more INTs and led TD than Romo..im not dissing Aikman im telling people give dak a dang chance before you say he sux and needs to be replaced already..not comparing them comparing their numbers and the fact is a lot of early Aikmans number were bad and we he lost his bug guns he didnt always win youi know like Dak was supposed to do without Zeke and Smith and many others..they say its an excuse but crazy aikman went 0-2 without Smith and thats with a superbowl caliber team..thats what im saying..not disrespect to aikmans its telling those destroying Dak after two seasons in which his number sna W-L are far better than most any Cowboy QB to date..thats all/.. why would i need to cool it, first amendment says i can say whatever i want within the rules of this Forum....lol

Are you drunk? OK, to start with, I'm not sure who you're talking about when you ***** about people saying Dak sucks but I can assure you it wasn't yours truly. I've already told you I like Dak and by that, I mean enough to buy his jersey which I paid a fair amount of money for. I simply don't believe it's fair to compare Dak with Aikman at this point in his career. If that's offensive to you then I not so humbly apologize. Go bug someone else, OK? Thanks.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
So, Stephen sits on his back patio, sips a Novo Brazil, and concludes that Dak is more like Aikman than Romo.

We're the ones who buy the jerseys, so we must react.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Are you drunk? OK, to start with, I'm not sure who you're talking about when you ***** about people saying Dak sucks but I can assure you it wasn't yours truly. I've already told you I like Dak and by that, I mean enough to buy his jersey which I paid a fair amount of money for. I simply don't believe it's fair to compare Dak with Aikman at this point in his career. If that's offensive to you then I not so humbly apologize. Go bug somebody else, OK? Thanks.
its for all to read, if you weren't one of those than ignore it..Public site, public post..ALL TO SEE AND READ :)/..no haven't had drink since Wednesday :)

jnday

Reaction score
Aikman could not even start in today’s NFL
Wasbyou even born when Aikman was winning those Super Bowls? Diapers maybe? Aikman was not in an offense that allowed him to put up big numbers, but he was easily capable of doing it. His leadership was on par with Brady and Manning. He never faced these watered down defenses and he didn't benefit from rules that treated the QB like fragile glass.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
its for all to read, if you weren't one of those than ignore it..Public site, public post..ALL TO SEE AND READ :)/..no haven't had drink since Wednesday :)

All I can say about that is that you've really got a log to learn about posting procedure. Maybe you just need a drink, huh? Chill, sir!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He already is! It's the arm strength that worries me.

Well, It's the accuracy that worries me some but I think it'll improve when he again has adequate time to throw. I think his arm strength is fine and he'll get his mojo back when and if the OL returns to it's former capabilities in pass protection.

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
Yes your statement is in fact true but again its not intellectually honest and doesn't add much to the discussion.

Its like when some want to compare Garretts first few years with Landrys - first four years Landry only won 13 games, Garrett won 29 - now yes that statement

is true but does it really say anything when we include all factors?

You say "that the inaccuracy knock on Dak is very overblown and exaggerated" - now that is a fair statement which I know is discussed a lot around here - I just dont think comparing both QBs comp pct says much at this point.
If this was Garretts second year as head coach and we didnt have the benefit of seeing the future futility, it is a good stat and one that should have people excited.

Same with Dak's performance through two years.