News: Stephen Jones: "Goal is to get Dak signed by week 1"

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I remember a month ago, no one was signing him for $55M.

What has changed since then?

Trance looked like hot garbage.
Problem is most don't understand what market value actually is....Dak at $55M would have been a discounted price all offseason. $60m in likely the minimum with $65 likely being Daks goal. 75-80% of that is likely guaranteed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Problem is most don't understand what market value actually is....Dak at $55M would have been a discounted price all offseason. $60m in likely the minimum with $65 likely being Daks goal. 75-80% of that is likely guaranteed.
I think everyone understands the market value..

I think smart fans want to not pay it because the goal is to win a title and paying Dak (or any QB that’s not HOF caliber) is a proven recipe to not win a championship.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I think smart fans want to not pay it because the goal is to win a title and paying Dak (or any QB that’s not HOF caliber) is a proven recipe to not win a championship.
I wonder why the NFL is not 4 team League then?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

I think that’s a valid argument. I’m just saying the $50-55m talk has always been low for the Dak talk. $60m feels like the floor based on other deals.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Not signing him will be a huge distraction that will grow all season. It’s amazing how badly the Jones turds have mishandled this. Signing Dak will bring stability to the QB role for the duration of the contract, lead to double digit wins, but ultimately end in disappointment every season. I would also expect injury risk to increase and production to decline by the last year or 2. If they do this those dummies need to start planning for the next QB now.

PT Barnum time.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not signing him will be a huge distraction that will grow all season. It’s amazing how badly the Jones turds have mishandled this. Signing Dak will bring stability to the QB role for the duration of the contract, lead to double digit wins, but ultimately end in disappointment every season. I would also expect injury risk to increase and production to decline by the last year or 2. If they do this those dummies need to start planning for the next QB now.

PT Barnum time.
Well it looks like we are rebuilding our OLine and next years draft is deep at RB. So it is possible that we could finally have a balanced offense if things work out well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

PT Barnum time.

That’s fine.

We aren’t a title team this year anyways.

The Cowboys took the offseason off.

Swagger

Reaction score
If Prescott is resigned then the clown show continues. It merely provides more moments of embarrassment from the quarterback against good teams - particularly in the play offs.

Not resigning Prescott would mean ok, the team can finally blow their nose, move on and rebuild another Superbowl team which they had the two seasons prior to last season (aside from the QB position given his below average performances against the 49ers).

It's not a win win situation for fans who understand football but there will either be several more years of embarrassing clown show play from an overpaid and underachieving quarterback or the team is actually serious about trying to win a Superbowl. Either can be enjoyed to a certain extent and of course, heavily securitised and rightly so.

btgboys41

Reaction score
Not surprising. Once the season starts they don’t need to artificially create or sustain headlines.

Flamma

Reaction score
1) If he waits until after the season he will be worth it in someones eyes whether that's actually true or not.

2) The market is already set around $65M if we go off of the 2025 projected cap, which could be what Dak is going for. Burrow already set the market at that rate getting just a tick under 24.5% of the cap when he signed. He also got 80% of that in guaranteed money. Project those numbers into the 2025 cap and you get somewhere in the $65-68M range with around $53-55M guaranteed each year depending on just how much the cap goes up. I can only guess like everyone else, but I would guess this is where the holdup is along with possibly some issue around the number of years as well. Jerry probably doesnt want to pay tomorrows price today, and Dak is going off future numbers because that is when hes a free agent.
I know you're talking average salary. But that's not reality. The reality is that Burrow will never be 24.5% of the cap at any point in his contract. At the highest point he'll be around half that. Burrow's extension averaged 55M a year. But he was paid with 2 years left on his rookie deal. When you average that in over 7 years, it's around 45M a year. Big difference from what Dak will be getting. If Dak got the exact same contract, 5 years at 55M, his average over 6 years would be 61.6 million.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sounds like they are going to get it done. Trust me, Stephen Jones knows exactly what it will take to get Dak to sign. I doubt he would make such a statement w/o intent on getting it done. My guess.......Dak signs a 4 year extension $57-58M.

This also tells me they were never going to use extra cap space from Dak's extension to sign any quality free agents. Instead, the savings would be in signing CeeDee and Parsons.
I agree. This is just the strangest way to build a team I've seen in awhile. Theoretically, both Lamb and Dak should open up close to 30M in cap space combined. Neither of them need cap space to sign now. If Parsons signs now, they would need cap space. If they wait until next year they wouldn't.

My question is, what does Dallas need 30M in extra cap space now for? Or are they just going to keep Dak at 55M against the cap for this season?

shabazz

Reaction score
Not surprising. Once the season starts they don’t need to artificially create or sustain headlines.
This current roster may keep them in the headlines but for all the wrong reasons.

It's not awful but certainly hasn't kept up with the other teams upgrades.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hi, I’m from Monday morning after Week 1.

Spoiler Alert:

The Cowboys lose to the Browns and Dak still don’t have a deal.
Maybe Jerry will take the Emmitt approach. Wait until we're 0-2 and then sign Dak to a huge extension.

I know, I'm not making any sense.