Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

"Goal is to get Dak signed by week 1"​

giphy.gif

Typical Jones family soundbite.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I know you're talking average salary. But that's not reality. The reality is that Burrow will never be 24.5% of the cap at any point in his contract. At the highest point he'll be around half that. Burrow's extension averaged 55M a year. But he was paid with 2 years left on his rookie deal. When you average that in over 7 years, it's around 45M a year. Big difference from what Dak will be getting. If Dak got the exact same contract, 5 years at 55M, his average over 6 years would be 61.6 million.
You make some good points but I do think that % of cap based on AAV the year they signed is an underrated metric that is being used by agents to keep up with cap increases.

You’re 1000% correct in it’s not an apples to apples comparison because guys like burrow/herbert/lawrence still have remaining years on their rookie deals. I’m not sure that Dak cares though which is what I would assume is the reason a deal isn’t done yet.

Flamma

Reaction score
You make some good points but I do think that % of cap based on AAV the year they signed is an underrated metric that is being used by agents to keep up with cap increases.

You’re 1000% correct in it’s not an apples to apples comparison because guys like burrow/herbert/lawrence still have remaining years on their rookie deals. I’m not sure that Dak cares though which is what I would assume is the reason a deal isn’t done yet.
You're right about the reason. Stephen alluded to that in the interview he gave those two clowns I never seen before. They kept pushing money forward with restructures, and now that has to be added to any new contract. Without a doubt, void years will be used.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Feel better? You thought of that all by yourself? How cute!
This one is appearing to be special. She has the potential to claim the top spot over the current crème de la crème.

Imagine reading that your favorite player is likely to be signed and immediately taking joy in how it might negatively affect others.

She doesn't seem to have any idea of just how much she is telling us about herself.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
At this stage it would be stupid. I'm not a fan of the guy at all but look at it logically:

If they had planned to sign him all along then it should have been done prior to free agency to allow them to try to put all of the many, MANY, pieces together that he requires to have to be carried to an NFCCG. Now that they've waited, the market on QB's has gone up making what would have already been a bad contract even worse and more prohibitive to getting the talent around him he needs.

As they sit right now, it makes more sense to at the very least see what he does over the course of the first half of the season when he will be facing an onslaught of last year's playoff teams and upper echelon defenses. If they sign him now and the first 7 games we go 2-5 and he looks like Playoff Prescott in the losses, how stupid will they look then? If he plays great, they will have to pay more, but that's as solid a gamble as you'll ever get. Right now the leverage is pretty much neutral but bending in the Jones boys favor. Let him play it out.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak haters: this is Dak’s last year.
Dak haters: Lance will make Dak expendable,

Also Dak haters after the first preseason game: Lance wasn’t that bad.

Also Dak fans: OMG they are making the biggest mistake and this will set us back 40 years.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
2. The GM/Owner offering him that type of contract would fall out of favor with the other front offices around the league for setting the QB Market that high
Let’s say the cap goes up by a typical 20m next season. 65m$ AAV would then be 23.6% of the cap, which is LESS than Burrow got. It would a normal jump in QB contracts, as the 61m$ a year this year he’s expected to get would be

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Jerry caves and gives him a 60m a year deal at this point he will look more dumb than if he had done it months ago...he has to let dak play it out and stick to the plan...if they are sitting at 10-3 with 4 games to go I see Jerry pulling yhe trigger there thinking he has seen enough...problem is we will all know at that point what is coming
we know by this time his price will really go up if he has something similar to the season he had last season, it would be cheaper to sign him now, if not he'll ask for 70 lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At this stage it would be stupid. I'm not a fan of the guy at all but look at it logically:

If they had planned to sign him all along then it should have been done prior to free agency to allow them to try to put all of the many, MANY, pieces together that he requires to have to be carried to an NFCCG. Now that they've waited, the market on QB's has gone up making what would have already been a bad contract even worse.

As they sit right now, it makes more sense to at the very least see what he does over the course of the first half of the season when he will be facing an onslaught of last year's playoff teams and upper echelon defenses. If they sign him now and the first 7 games we go 2-5 and he looks like Playoff Prescott in the losses, how stupid will they look then? If he plays great, they will have to pay more, but that's as solid a gamble as you'll ever get. Right now the leverage is pretty much neutral but bending in the Jones boys favor. Let him play it out.
This is what we have been trying to tell you guys but I don’t know if it was denial or hope. This team wasn’t rebuilding they were always bringing Dak back. So why the hell were they dragging their feet…makes no sense but nothing does here.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This is what we have been trying to tell you guys but I don’t know if it was denial or hope. This team wasn’t rebuilding they were always bringing Dak back. So why the hell were they dragging their feet…makes no sense but nothing does here.
Jerry can't rebuild. He has to keep the team relevant. We haven't had real rebuild since Parcells.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Which is why I think this is just smoke so they can say they tried to work a deal but Dak wanted too much. They've been doing it all offseason. At this point, make him earn it. If he does, great, if he doesn't, bye.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Let’s say the cap goes up by a typical 20m next season. 65m$ AAV would then be 23.6% of the cap, which is LESS than Burrow got. It would a normal jump in QB contracts, as the 61m$ a year this year he’s expected to get would be
Is Ceedee Lamb a 1 yet or na?

blueblood70

Reaction score
anybody mocking this is not the better plan is ridiculously delusional, i've been saying this all along why sign lamb if you don't have a quality quarterback?

it would be absolute waste because if daks not here in 2025, you need to trade everyone; DIGGS, Lamb, and parsons and move on from Tank and Martin. Go full rebuild. giving market money to Lamb and then no qb? IMHO ie MN and JJ that just DUMB ie trading for Hopkins or Adams with no qb = Dumb.. this is ALL or Nothing IMHO

I've also been saying the reason lambs deal hasnt been finished is they are trying to do both deals at the same time... its package and trying to get the details of both deals right so both can work, well it wouldn't Suprise me if both players and their agents re not on a conference call/zoom all at the same time working on these deals as group.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry can't rebuild. He has to keep the team relevant. We haven't had real rebuild since Parcells.
actually, most teams can't rebuild finding a generational QB is key and that's a tough thing to do..ask the jets, browns and broncos they ghave up and went out and got Dak type guy cost them Draft picks ADn big $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and so far it hasnt worked. These alleged rebuilds hardly ever work and could take 5-10seriuosly.some get lucky ie SF and stumble on OURDT after disastrous decision to trade 3 1sts for lance..Oopppsie!!

it took KC 52 years between SBS its that hard lets stop acting as if its easy as the reside NFCE Washg ton and NYG how many times they have tried only to keep losing to Dallas.. Hows Carolina doing with the constant changes , how many times has the raiders moved and made changed. Its hard ** to rebuild. those are just few examples. There are tons more of epic fails and longer droughts than our team has endured.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean we have 28 years of proof he doesn’t rebuild. Even in those Parcells years there was carryover from those 5 win teams. And he for sure isn’t gonna wait until he’s 80 to change his ways lol.