Video: Stephen Jones interview 4/18/23

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

- They were very aggressive in player acquisition in free agency.

- Feel good about the TEs on the roster but this is a very deep group of TEs in the draft and feel there will be a player there that can really help us.

- Type of TE the Cowboys have preferred has become a rare breed. Ferguson has a chance to develop into that.

- They don't have a couple of the QBs rated nearly as highly as most do.

- Would never rule out any position in the 1st round.

- Typically have about 15 or 16 1st round grades on the board. Some years maybe a few more. If one is there at 26 it will be blinking at us.

- Lamb and Diggs extensions will be more of a priority after the draft.

- Bijan Robinson? "You never know."

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Is this actually the same human being that spoke at the Senior Bowl?

Every word was perfect today.

Except the little giveaway that you folks that don’t like Darnell Washington ought to maybe think about preparing yourselves for.

They have the credibility to try it after last year.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Please don’t give Diggs an extension
Prepare yourself. Homegrown talent always gets paid big by the Jones boys. It justifies their way of player acquisitions. I say that with a caveat. I really like what they have done this offseason. If they can nail this draft then I will go into the season on a high.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Is this actually the same human being that spoke at the Senior Bowl?

Every word was perfect today.

Except the little giveaway that you folks that don’t like Darnell Washington ought to maybe think about preparing yourselves for.

They have the credibility to try it after last year.
I actually think if Kincaid and Mayer are gone which is likely. I think Washington is their third tight end on the board and could be this year’s Tyler. His potential is big time.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Stephen is better then his father at hiding intentions but it sounds like the Cowboys are drafting a tight end early.
Maybe, but all I got out of it is they will probably be a drafting a TE. When he says deep TE class we don't know how many rounds deep for they see.

Pure speculation on my part, but it doesn't sound a first round type of selectioasof TE is as likely if they think it's a deep class.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I guess he said everything about as professionally as should have.

It almost put me to sleep but that's what most staffers do, anyway.

Gotta allow him credit for not giving away his preferences, though.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I totally agree on trading down.

After doing various mocks the sweet spot is the 2nd round. A lot of players were reaches at 26, but wouldn't last till 58.

Only if a player fell would I like to see Dallas stay at 26.

I've gone back and forth on which position should be addressed first, but it doesn't matter because none of the players would be starters.

OL is set with Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele. Any lineman taken would be depth.

RB, Pollard is the starter even if Robinson is selected.

TE, Ferguson is the starter. Stephen Jones intimated that.

WR, is the 4th receiver at best.

DT might be the only position that a draftee has a chance to start.

LB, no.

CB, is so deep the draftee would have to wait till next year.

S, I don't see any need to draft this position. Markquese Bell is a player I want to see how he does.

RS12

Reaction score
- Feel good about the TEs on the roster but this is a very deep group of TEs in the draft and feel there will be a player there that can really help us.
They like the Y TEs. The one that fits the bill is Mayer. Kincaid would certainly help though.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

- Would never rule out any position in the 1st round.....duh QB !
lol well stevie, one kinda makes the 2nd one a lie or statement of stupidity !

DandyDon52

Reaction score

- They were very aggressive in player acquisition in free agency.

- Type of TE the Cowboys have preferred has become a rare breed. Ferguson has a chance to develop into that.

- Would never rule out any position in the 1st round.

- Typically have about 15 or 16 1st round grades on the board. Some years maybe a few more. If one is there at 26 it will be blinking at us.

- Lamb and Diggs extensions will be more of a priority after the draft.

- Bijan Robinson? "You never know."

- Bijan Robinson? "You never know."........ yes we do, he wont be there at 26.
pick 26 will be whoever is blinking !
- They don't have a couple of the QBs rated nearly as highly as most do........of course not lol jones boys want their qb from the 5th down.

- Lamb and Diggs extensions will be more of a priority after the draft.... either one or both could be a mistake, they should try and trade lamb
just to see if anyone offers a 1st, heck put both on trading block just to see what their value is, and that could help in getting a cheaper extension.

Techsass

Reaction score
I guess he said everything about as professionally as should have.

It almost put me to sleep but that's what most staffers do, anyway.

Gotta allow him credit for not giving away his preferences, though.
That is one thing that McCarthy seems to have drummed into the FO. I made jokes about him removing the players #s in the scrimmage game. The man loves to keep everything secret.

Iago33

Reaction score
I totally agree on trading down.

After doing various mocks the sweet spot is the 2nd round. A lot of players were reaches at 26, but wouldn't last till 58.

Only if a player fell would I like to see Dallas stay at 26.

I've gone back and forth on which position should be addressed first, but it doesn't matter because none of the players would be starters.

OL is set with Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele. Any lineman taken would be depth.

RB, Pollard is the starter even if Robinson is selected.

TE, Ferguson is the starter. Stephen Jones intimated that.

WR, is the 4th receiver at best.

DT might be the only position that a draftee has a chance to start.

LB, no.

CB, is so deep the draftee would have to wait till next year.

S, I don't see any need to draft this position. Markquese Bell is a player I want to see how he does.
I think LG is open. Tyler is LT.