Video: Stephen Jones interview 4/18/23

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Good chance 1 of those 4 becomes a Cowboy
I hope so. I have seen mocks were McDonald, Forbes, Flowers go between 18-23. I saw a nuclear mock were the Cowboys are choosing between Washington, two guards and Johnston. The draft is unlikely because they have Levis and Hooker falling to the end of the first rounds.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I hope so. I have seen mocks were McDonald, Forbes, Flowers go between 18-23. I saw a nuclear mock were the Cowboys are choosing between Washington, two guards and Johnston. The draft is unlikely because they have Levis and Hooker falling to the end of the first rounds.
Not a great draft with elite prospects, teams will vary with their rankings

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Pollard is healthy he will be the starter. You may disagree but that's what will happen.

If both Steele and Smith are healthy, both will be starters. Only if one of them is not will the draftee see the field.

Jones was taking up Ferguson in a manner which suggest Dallas believes in him able to carry the load.

All these players have proven themselves in the NFL. The rookies haven't played a single snap and have to start at the bottom and work their way into the lilineup.
I see. So just because then.

No sane person on the planet would start Pollard over Robinson. Nor would they draft a TE and have him backup a ham and egger like Ferguson.

You have zero clue of what you're talking about.

phildadon86

Reaction score

- They were very aggressive in player acquisition in free agency.

- Feel good about the TEs on the roster but this is a very deep group of TEs in the draft and feel there will be a player there that can really help us.

- Type of TE the Cowboys have preferred has become a rare breed. Ferguson has a chance to develop into that.

- They don't have a couple of the QBs rated nearly as highly as most do.

- Would never rule out any position in the 1st round.

- Typically have about 15 or 16 1st round grades on the board. Some years maybe a few more. If one is there at 26 it will be blinking at us.

- Lamb and Diggs extensions will be more of a priority after the draft.

- Bijan Robinson? "You never know."

The type of TE the Cowboys prefer is stuck in the 90s.

Get a TE that can stretch the field and block when needed. So sick of slow plodding TEs that are good for nothing more than first downs or 3-5 yard gains and falling down.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Get a TE that can stretch the field and block when needed. So sick of slow plodding TEs that are good for nothing more than first downs or 3-5 yard gains and falling down.
I love you so much lol thank you thank you!!! Get the kind of TE we play against that give us problems!! Enough with the wittens , get a guy that will create mismatches down the field giving us another weapon

Sydla

Reaction score
Very aggressive? Those words have never been associated with cap boy. Ever.
I assume he's counting Gilmore and Cooks.

I wish they were as aggressive at DT as they were trying to find a CB #2 and WR #2/3.

But alas, they view DT like punter or long snapper. Just get some bodies and it will all work out.

Sydla

Reaction score

The problem is the field stretchers tend to be pretty shoddy blockers, especially in line.

Kincaid is a glorified WR. Washington is a blocking machine but he's raw as a pass catcher. Musgrave? Maybe. But he's such an injury risk and largely an unknown because he hasn't played a ton. LaPorta? Maybe in the 2nd or 3rd. Mayer is arguably the most complete TE but he's not going to be the field stretcher you are looking for.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Translate: If he's there we're taking him
exactly. If hes there and maybe a guy like Smitz, don't be surprised if we draft the olineman. Smitz just makes so much sense it aint funny. The guy is elite and has played all 5 line spots. Hes plug and play day 1.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Right, let’s just move on from one of our best players because you don’t want to pay them. If it was up to some of you none of our best players would get an extension.
They would rather pay other teams' players. :facepalm:

phildadon86

Reaction score
The problem is the field stretchers tend to be pretty shoddy blockers, especially in line.

Kincaid is a glorified WR. Washington is a blocking machine but he's raw as a pass catcher. Musgrave? Maybe. But he's such an injury risk and largely an unknown because he hasn't played a ton. LaPorta? Maybe in the 2nd or 3rd. Mayer is arguably the most complete TE but he's not going to be the field stretcher you are looking for.
This is what I mean. Take a chance on Washington. I think many forget the kid is an EX WR. He can run routes he just wasnt asked to. Instead of playing it safe and going with Mayer whos going to literally bring nothing to the table in terms of stretching the field.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is what I mean. Take a chance on Washington. I think many forget the kid is an EX WR. He can run routes he just wasnt asked to. Instead of playing it safe and going with Mayer whos going to literally bring nothing to the table in terms of stretching the field.
Just because he once was a WR doesn't mean he can run routes. He hasn't played WR for at least 4 years as he was recruited out of high school as a TE.

He's a raw offensive player. You could be spending the 26th pick on a guy that turns out to be a really good blocking TE only.

Carson

Reaction score
I think LG is open. Tyler is LT.
In reality, it’s contingent on Steeles health.

If healthy, you likely get Tyron / Tyler / Biadasz / Martin / Steele

If he’s not healthy, LG is a bit more concerning. However, I’d be content signing Dalton Risner to a 1-2 year deal

Einstein

Reaction score

Did you forget about this:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Just because he once was a WR doesn't mean he can run routes. He hasn't played WR for at least 4 years as he was recruited out of high school as a TE.

He's a raw offensive player. You could be spending the 26th pick on a guy that turns out to be a really good blocking TE only.
Thats fair. But at 26. Id rather take that risk. I think Washington when all is said and done is going to wind up being the best TE in this class.

reddyuta

Reaction score

unfortunately they are still drafting TEs in the Witten mold.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They would rather pay other teams' players. :facepalm:
Right, they would rather pay a ton of money to someone else’s players. The last time we did that was with Brandon Carr and he never turned out that great. He was solid, but certainly not worth the money we played him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Right, they would rather pay a ton of money to someone else’s players. The last time we did that was with Brandon Carr and he never turned out that great. He was solid, but certainly not worth the money we played him.
The problem is. Now they dont spend at all. There is no happy medium lol. You cant let one mistake (i dont think Carr was) stop you from every doing it again.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thats fair. But at 26. Id rather take that risk. I think Washington when all is said and done is going to wind up being the best TE in this class.
He very well might. But I also think of all the TEs talked about in the first two rounds, he has the highest bust factor in terms of thinking you are drafting an elite TE but end up with a 3rd string, blocking TE instead. But if Dallas thinks he's worth it, make the pick. I wouldn't expect him to start for us immediately like I would say with Mayer.