Video: Stephen Jones interview 4/18/23

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The problem is. Now they dont spend at all. There is no happy medium lol. You cant let one mistake (i dont think Carr was) stop you from every doing it again.
With QB money skyrocketing a lot of teams are backing away from paying these high priced free agents from other teams. More and more teams are paying their own players and are preparing to pay their QB.

visionary

Reaction score
Please do.

However, since they like using "restrictive language" that no other team uses, how about tying any bonuses/incentives to actually tackling people?
Not gonna happen
They’ll make him the highest paid CB and lock him to us

visionary

Reaction score
Right, let’s just move on from one of our best players because you don’t want to pay them. If it was up to some of you none of our best players would get an extension.
LOL
Stupid is as stupid does

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LOL
Stupid is as stupid does
Stupid is wanting to move on from one of our best players and that’s exactly what you want to do because you don’t want to pay anyone. Go find a cheap, average player to fill the position and see if that improves the team. :thumbup:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Trade down wouldn't surprise me. A move down 6-7 spots would get a late 3rd round pick. I'm more than ok getting 4 players on day 2.
I totally agree on trading down.

After doing various mocks the sweet spot is the 2nd round. A lot of players were reaches at 26, but wouldn't last till 58.

Only if a player fell would I like to see Dallas stay at 26.

I've gone back and forth on which position should be addressed first, but it doesn't matter because none of the players would be starters.

OL is set with Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele. Any lineman taken would be depth.

RB, Pollard is the starter even if Robinson is selected.

TE, Ferguson is the starter. Stephen Jones intimated that.

WR, is the 4th receiver at best.

DT might be the only position that a draftee has a chance to start.

LB, no.

CB, is so deep the draftee would have to wait till next year.

S, I don't see any need to draft this position. Markquese Bell is a player I want to see how he does.
These are the Arlington Jonesboys. They do not do well trading out of the 1st round. This is not the Dallas Cowboys that traded out the 1st round and drafted Darrin Smith and Kevin Williams then went to back to back Super Bowls.

This is the Arlington Jonesboys that gave you the 1995, 96, 2000, 01, and 09 drafts trading away 1st round picks and trading out of the first round. Go look at what Jerry Dumbo GM Jones did in those drafts.

If you trade down, stay in the 1st round and draft 1st round talent.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I hope there is a run on WR’s, TE’s and RB’s before Dallas selects. It’ll push some OL, DL, LB,CB to us.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

- They were very aggressive in player acquisition in free agency.

- Feel good about the TEs on the roster but this is a very deep group of TEs in the draft and feel there will be a player there that can really help us.

- Type of TE the Cowboys have preferred has become a rare breed. Ferguson has a chance to develop into that.

- They don't have a couple of the QBs rated nearly as highly as most do.

- Would never rule out any position in the 1st round.

- Typically have about 15 or 16 1st round grades on the board. Some years maybe a few more. If one is there at 26 it will be blinking at us.

- Lamb and Diggs extensions will be more of a priority after the draft.

- Bijan Robinson? "You never know."

Much about nothing. Let Will McClay set the board and Stephen's job is to make sure Jerry Dumbo GM Jones sticks to the board and the draft pick value chart.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
The type of TE the Cowboys prefer is stuck in the 90s.

Get a TE that can stretch the field and block when needed. So sick of slow plodding TEs that are good for nothing more than first downs or 3-5 yard gains and falling down.
Sometimes it’s okay to take good players and not projects that are tall and fast

12+88=7

Reaction score
These are the Arlington Jonesboys. They do not do well trading out of the 1st round. This is not the Dallas Cowboys that traded out the 1st round and drafted Darrin Smith and Kevin Williams then went to back to back Super Bowls.

This is the Arlington Jonesboys that gave you the 1995, 96, 2000, 01, and 09 drafts trading away 1st round picks and trading out of the first round. Go look at what Jerry Dumbo GM Jones did in those drafts.

If you trade down, stay in the 1st round and draft 1st round talent.
The problem is at 26 there probably won't be any players with 1st round talent. There will be many players that you could trade back and still draft in the 2nd round.

Do some mock drafts and you will see a pattern in the 2nd round. There are some mocks where players with 1st round assignments drop, but those are the outliers.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Come on Catch you know this is about being Dak friendly. If they do anything in this draft they will look out for our quarterback. I expect 3 of our first four picks to be offense. They have to throw Quinn a bone. Dak needs a replacement for Shultz.
HC is calling the offense, dont know why peeps arent realizing the intent in this draft will be offense.

Einstein

Reaction score
No. But I dont use one play to judge a player either. And if that was Kincaid hes housing that. That is my point. Thanks for proving it.
So here is a bigger example of his ability

We don't need a TE in the early rounds.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My translation:
QB in the first 3 rds.
About time

:thumbup:

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Just because he once was a WR doesn't mean he can run routes. He hasn't played WR for at least 4 years as he was recruited out of high school as a TE.

He's a raw offensive player. You could be spending the 26th pick on a guy that turns out to be a really good blocking TE only.
A really good blocking tight end would be invaluable in running game, and he is 6'6" with enough athletic abilities to be a mismatch for most defenses. I'd say the writings on the wall, the potential dynamic he could add to this offense is almost too good to pass up IMO.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The problem is at 26 there probably won't be any players with 1st round talent. There will be many players that you could trade back and still draft in the 2nd round.

Do some mock drafts and you will see a pattern in the 2nd round. There are some mocks where players with 1st round assignments drop, but those are the outliers.
I understand draft grading a player and the system used. But, you are clearing missing my point regarding you GM's performance results when trading down or trading away his 1st round pick.

The 26th pick in the draft is basically a 2nd round value player in average drafts (which this is an average draft). You do not trade out of the first round unless you get a 1st round pick next year and a 2nd round this year (see the 2004 draft). That way you are assured to get more chances at the Best Available Player of Need in this year and next year's draft.

visionary

Reaction score
Stupid is wanting to move on from one of our best players and that’s exactly what you want to do because you don’t want to pay anyone. Go find a cheap, average player to fill the position and see if that improves the team. :thumbup:
What improves the team is a team player. Diggs is a good not great CB who can’t and won’t tackle and will want to be paid as the highest CB in the league. He “improves the team” compared to an average CB but we could have traded him for a rd 1 pick this year and take a CB with that and used the 20+ million he will ask for to sign real difference makers at DT. That improves the team

Smith22

Reaction score
What improves the team is a team player. Diggs is a good not great CB who can’t and won’t tackle and will want to be paid as the highest CB in the league. He “improves the team” compared to an average CB but we could have traded him for a rd 1 pick this year and take a CB with that and used the 20+ million he will ask for to sign real difference makers at DT. That improves the team
Corner is a position where Dallas hasn't found a ball hawk like Diggs in years. You propose we just trade him away, create an area of need and assume a corner will be there at 26......

And what in recent history tells you they would put significant money into the DT position?

Verdict

Reaction score
Trade down wouldn't surprise me. A move down 6-7 spots would get a late 3rd round pick. I'm more than ok getting 4 players on day 2.
Yeah. While you may not want to go into the draft with a hard line on doing that, it might be the right situation to make that move this year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He’s actually a very good player and a playmaker. Fans are a down on him after last season, because his INTs dropped way off and he doesn’t tackle but he’s one of our cornerstone players. You can’t just move on from every real good player because of a flaw or two. If it was up to fans on this board we would move on from Dak and we would have moved on from Zeke at least a couple of years ago. We’re already starting to see threads with fans wanting to know what Parsons trade value would be because some don’t want to pay him. There’s fans that don’t want to pay CeeDee.

The Cowboys have been 12-5 the past two seasons, and have made the playoffs both seasons. To stay competitive and have a chance to reach the level we want to reach we have to hang onto our best players. If we move on from them we have to try and replace them in free agency, or with a draft pick when we could be addressing another need. Some of you look for every reason not to pay a real good player and go with someone cheaper. That’s not the recipe for winning a championship.