Video: Stephen Jones interview 4/18/23

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The rest of the league has moved on from the Tight Ends they like.

Mayer is perfect for them then. ‍♂️
Come on Catch you know this is about being Dak friendly. If they do anything in this draft they will look out for our quarterback. I expect 3 of our first four picks to be offense. They have to throw Quinn a bone. Dak needs a replacement for Shultz.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Maybe, but all I got out of it is they will probably be a drafting a TE. When he says deep TE class we don't know how many rounds deep for they see.

Pure speculation on my part, but it doesn't sound a first round type of selectioasof TE is as likely if they think it's a deep class.
We all are speculating but the Joneses can’t shut it to long without spilling some tea. Hope I am wrong I want a defensive player. Will give Stephen much credit if that is what we do at 26.

conner01

Reaction score
I actually think if Kincaid and Mayer are gone which is likely. I think Washington is their third tight end on the board and could be this year’s Tyler. His potential is big time.
Huge pitential
But not worthy the 26th pick and I’d love to have him

conner01

Reaction score
Trade down wouldn't surprise me. A move down 6-7 spots would get a late 3rd round pick. I'm more than ok getting 4 players on day 2.
Depending on who’s there it could be great move
If you have a guy with a first round fade there though you take him

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally agree on trading down.

After doing various mocks the sweet spot is the 2nd round. A lot of players were reaches at 26, but wouldn't last till 58.

Only if a player fell would I like to see Dallas stay at 26.

I've gone back and forth on which position should be addressed first, but it doesn't matter because none of the players would be starters.

OL is set with Smith, Smith, Biadasz, Martin, Steele. Any lineman taken would be depth.

RB, Pollard is the starter even if Robinson is selected.

TE, Ferguson is the starter. Stephen Jones intimated that.

WR, is the 4th receiver at best.

DT might be the only position that a draftee has a chance to start.

LB, no.

CB, is so deep the draftee would have to wait till next year.

S, I don't see any need to draft this position. Markquese Bell is a player I want to see how he does.
LOL WUT

You're a mess. On what planet would Tony Pollard start over Bijan Robinson?

Steele isn't even sure to be back at the start of the season and the owner just said Tyron is the RT. Stephen just said they want Tyler at LT. That means they need a starting LG.

Stephen intimated nothing about Ferguson being the starter. If they draft a TE in the 1st round that player will start.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Huge pitential
But not worthy the 26th pick and I’d love to have him
Dak friendly with his blocking and potential as a receiver. Depend who is on the board at 26. I am hearing from draft shows with NFL insiders players like Robinson, Forbes, McDonald, Kincaid won’t make it to 26.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on Catch you know this is about being Dak friendly. If they do anything in this draft they will look out for our quarterback. I expect 3 of our first four picks to be offense. They have to throw Quinn a bone. Dak needs a replacement for Shultz.
They need an upgrade from Schultz. The objective should be to improve the offense. It wasn't good enough for this QB. We have to surround him with great players if we want any chance to stop losing divisional round games.

khiladi

Reaction score

- They were very aggressive in player acquisition in free agency.

- Feel good about the TEs on the roster but this is a very deep group of TEs in the draft and feel there will be a player there that can really help us.

- Type of TE the Cowboys have preferred has become a rare breed. Ferguson has a chance to develop into that.

- They don't have a couple of the QBs rated nearly as highly as most do.

- Would never rule out any position in the 1st round.

- Typically have about 15 or 16 1st round grades on the board. Some years maybe a few more. If one is there at 26 it will be blinking at us.

- Lamb and Diggs extensions will be more of a priority after the draft.

- Bijan Robinson? "You never know."

They don’t evaluate QBs very well as you very well know with this last guy..

Techsass

Reaction score
They don’t evaluate QBs very well as you very well know with this last guy..
They got Dak in the 4th & Romo completely undrafted. That's what scares a lot of us about just moving on from Dak. Now folks want us to waste draft picks every year on ??? QBs.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I think LG is open. Tyler is LT.
Dallas redid Tyron's contract for him to be the RT if Steele isn't ready or the LT if Steele is ready.

We'll see at training camp if Steele is ready. All signs point to him being ready.

As long as Tyron Smith is healthy he will be the LT. This was the plan when Tyler Smith got drafted.

If both Steele and Smith are healthy the draftee will be a backup.

conner01

Reaction score
Dak friendly with his blocking and potential as a receiver. Depend who is on the board at 26. I am hearing from draft shows with NFL insiders players like Robinson, Forbes, McDonald, Kincaid won’t make it to 26.
You never know
That’s the thing about picking late is 25 other decisions are made before you
I like Washington’s potential
Not so much as a reciever but a reciever who can block like an OT
I just expect a guy are two with first round grades to fall
Hopefully team go QB crazy and start trading up for them lol

khiladi

Reaction score
They got Dak in the 4th & Romo completely undrafted. That's what scares a lot of us about just moving on from Dak. Now folks want us to waste draft picks every year on ??? QBs.
They took Romo because of Sean Payton and Dak was taken where he was pretty much projected. He lucked into a situation any QB could dream of.

12+88=7

Reaction score
LOL WUT

You're a mess. On what planet would Tony Pollard start over Bijan Robinson?

Steele isn't even sure to be back at the start of the season and the owner just said Tyron is the RT. Stephen just said they want Tyler at LT. That means they need a starting LG.

Stephen intimated nothing about Ferguson being the starter. If they draft a TE in the 1st round that player will start.

If Pollard is healthy he will be the starter. You may disagree but that's what will happen.

If both Steele and Smith are healthy, both will be starters. Only if one of them is not will the draftee see the field.

Jones was taking up Ferguson in a manner which suggest Dallas believes in him able to carry the load.

All these players have proven themselves in the NFL. The rookies haven't played a single snap and have to start at the bottom and work their way into the lineup.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I actually think if Kincaid and Mayer are gone which is likely. I think Washington is their third tight end on the board and could be this year’s Tyler. His potential is big time.
Is he your favorite TE in the class?

Kwyn

Reaction score
Stephen is better then his father at hiding intentions but it sounds like the Cowboys are drafting a tight end early.
He talked about depth. I’m not so sure he’s talking about first round.

There are tight ends available in the third that could still be valuable.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes. My favorite players are that I think the Cowboys will have a chance to draft are Forbes, Flowers, and McDonald. Washington is probably 8th for me.
Good chance 1 of those 4 becomes a Cowboy

pitt33

Reaction score
Trade down wouldn't surprise me. A move down 6-7 spots would get a late 3rd round pick. I'm more than ok getting 4 players on day 2.
I’m all for trading out of that spot too. Somewhat opposed to taking a TE in the first as well.

Just hope they nail the 2nd round pick.