News: Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh. It's always "look at how such and such a great coach sucked for so while before. Hey, this guy sucking may just turn around into that rarity too instead of continuing to suck."

Except he hasn't actually sucked.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Except he hasn't actually sucked.
Sorry. I'll make it more accurate.

Eh. It's always "look at how such and such a great coach was average for so long too. Hey, this guy being average may just turn it around like he did too [but failing to mention how rare it is] instead of continuing to be average."

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm always saying there are lots of ways to lose games in the NFL. Many of them are in the hands of a coach. But not all of them. What I see happening in Dallas was a bad team getting rebuilt under a tight cap and an unexpectedly tight new-CBA season into a winning team with structure. Then that team got badly derailed last season.

Jason did have the best won-loss record of his NFCE competition last I checked. His record has not been piss-poor.

We can leave it that we disagree if you like. It's not an issue of standards, because you and I want the same thing. We disagree on how to get there. You think the problems are with coaching. I think they lie elsewhere.

The issues we are talking about are not over just 1 or 2 seasons, they are over almost 6 seasons worth of games. That is an eternity in the NFL. As the head coach, Jason Garrett is responsible for the performance of the team. It is his job to fix what is broken if you want to break it down to the lowest common denominator.

You talk about NFC East competition, you do realize that every other head coach in the division has been fired for that lack of performance. Even Tom Coughlin got fired for having some bad seasons and he has multiple SB trophies. The fact of the matter is that Jason Garrett would have been fired if he worked for any other team in the NFL. You cannot miss the playoffs every single year but one over almost a 6 year coaching span. We are talking about coaches that have won SBs getting fired for a coaching record like that and Jason has virtually no accomplishments at all.

And if "the problems are elsewhere" as you say, isn't it not the job of the head coach to find them and fix them after almost 6 years on the job? At what point do you hold Garrett accountable? Is missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons, or 5 out of 6, or 6 out of 7? At what point is Garrett held to the same standard every other NFL head coach is held to?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The issues we are talking about are not over just 1 or 2 seasons, they are over almost 6 seasons worth of games. That is an eternity in the NFL. As the head coach, Jason Garrett is responsible for the performance of the team. It is his job to fix what is broken if you want to break it down to the lowest common denominator.

You talk about NFC East competition, you do realize that every other head coach in the division has been fired for that lack of performance. Even Tom Coughlin got fired for having some bad seasons and he has multiple SB trophies. The fact of the matter is that Jason Garrett would have been fired if he worked for any other team in the NFL. You cannot miss the playoffs every single year but one over almost a 6 year coaching span. We are talking about coaches that have won SBs getting fired for a coaching record like that and Jason has virtually no accomplishments at all.

And if "the problems are elsewhere" as you say, isn't it not the job of the head coach to find them and fix them after almost 6 years on the job? At what point do you hold Garrett accountable? Is missing the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons, or 5 out of 6, or 6 out of 7? At what point is Garrett held to the same standard every other NFL head coach is held to?

Welcome to Dallas, where some of the biggest problems own the team.

I can't answer your question about when the won/loss record is going to catch up to him. It's pretty obvious that so far it hasn't. And Stephen, at least, is very happy with him.

RS12

Reaction score
Welcome to Dallas, where some of the biggest problems own the team.

I can't answer your question about when the won/loss record is going to catch up to him. It's pretty obvious that so far it hasn't. And Stephen, at least, is very happy with him.

Propaganda and spin. What is gonna say, Garrett has to go deep in the playoffs or he is gone?

jwitten82

Reaction score
We rebuilt more than a defense in that time. And some of those 8-8s weren't bad records for the makeup a of some of those teams.

It hasn't been 6 years of failure. It's been 6 years of failing to meet fan expectations. Those two things are not the same.
Garrett took over the same year Pete Carrol and Ron Rivera became hc of their teams. They took over horrible teams like Garrett and yet theyve rebuilt their offenses and defenses. All people have for Garrett are excuses

CowboyChris

Reaction score
who's idea was it to hire Rob Ryan and Monte Kiffin? wasn't that Jason Garrett? You call that a competent HC?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett took over the same year Pete Carrol and Ron Rivera became hc of their teams. They took over horrible teams like Garrett and yet theyve rebuilt their offenses and defenses. All people have for Garrett are excuses

My point wasn't that he needs more time. My point was that he's doing a good job already, and that the issues in Dallas aren't with its coach.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Propaganda and spin. What is gonna say, Garrett has to go deep in the playoffs or he is gone?

It always comes down to that, eventually. If you think he's making it up, that's your prerogative. I think he means it, and they put their money where their mouth is with the new contract. They have nothing to gain by telling everyone they think he's becoming a very good coach if in fact they don't think he is.

RS12

Reaction score
It always comes down to that, eventually. If you think he's making it up, that's your prerogative. I think he means it, and they put their money where their mouth is with the new contract. They have nothing to gain by telling everyone they think he's becoming a very good coach if in fact they don't think he is.
My guess is Stephen doesnt want to put more pressure on him but realizes there is little to show for the last 5.5 years. The fact that he has a contract is meaningless. Jerry could buy him out with his lunch money.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
who's idea was it to hire Rob Ryan and Monte Kiffin? wasn't that Jason Garrett? You call that a competent HC?

The last time I remember seeing Monte Kiffin he looked like he had undergone complete rigamortis and needed to be carried out of the coaching booth in a body bag.

http://i465.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr16/KJJ100/imagesJW3FSJBN_zpsba06ae3a.jpg

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My guess is Stephen doesnt want to put more pressure on him but realizes there is little to show for the last 5.5 years. The fact that he has a contract is meaningless. Jerry could buy him out with his lunch money.

Jerry doesn't like to eat money on coaching deals. The extension was a significant gesture. Like it or not, the owners like Garrett.

cml750

Reaction score
Garret's offense SHOULD be typically very efficient. He's had Romo to work his entire tenure as head coach......a top 6-7 QB, Top 3-4 WR, top 5 TE. He's had a very good OL now for several years. A coach of the year candidate doesn't go 0-7 when his QB goes down, not with that OL.

At any rate, we agree to disagree, I'm just touching the surface. ;)
Sarge, wish you would speak your mind more often!!!!

cml750

Reaction score
Garrett is a great talker and can rub elbows with the best of em. he won't be out of a job for long in the good Ole boy nfl coaching fraternity
I disagree. I doubt he would ever sniff a HC job again if he is let lose based on his track record.

cml750

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't like to eat money on coaching deals. The extension was a significant gesture. Like it or not, the owners like Garrett.
In other words they doubled down on their mistake.

Reactions: BAT

cml750

Reaction score
If you have the perspective that he was bad in the first place, I'm sure it would appear that way.
Well, I was happy when they hired him until reality set in seeing the same mistakes over and over, so yea it does appear that way to me..