News: Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach; 'he's the hardest worker in the building'

RS12

Reaction score
Stephen Jones: Jason Garrett's turning into a great coach;

Lets see: check is in the mail, and what was the other one?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Garrett is not a good coach. He is average and average is not worthy of being compared to the likes of Bellicheck.

If Garrett wants to be considered a good coach he needs to make the proper changes into becoming one. Many people have pointed out that his playbook is too antiquated and outdated. If thats the case why hasn't any improvements been made? A good coach will weed out what doesn't work and implement proper changes to make things work. Garrett seem stuck in his ways and just hopes for the best. Thats not a sign of a good coach and its something he desperately needs to strive for.

People here will probably make excuses that his offense has been the top 10 since Garrett took the helm. Thats not a testament to how good of a coach he is. Its a testament to Romo and his abilities to make changes at the LOS. This offense is all Romo and Garrett provides very little value to it.

I'm also disappointed in Stephen. He may not be as careless as his Dad but he is set in his ways. I think Stephen running the show is just as bad as Jerry himself.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
there are so many reasons why i don't like Garrett, but anyone who watches the games can see he is getting outcoached all the time. Last year was the clincher for me, without Romo we couldn't win squat.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
From an X's and O's standpoint and making the necessary changes/adjustments at halftime etc., Garrett is below average to say the least. Not a fan of his offensive scheme. It's not at all in line with the game and rules of today. I suppose it could be worse, but if this offense (if everyone stays healthy) doesn't finish in the top 5 at worst this year, I really don't know what excuses can be made on behalf of the guy. The offense is simply STACKED with talent.
Agree Sarge, 2016 is the final chance for Garrett.

I am sorry, but in today's watered down, parity driven league......if a head coach can only make the playoffs 1 time in 6 seasons then he really is not much of a head coach.

No playoffs in 2016 should get Garrett a pink slip, it is inexcusable to make the playoffs only 1 time in 6 years when you have a franchise QB like Romo. There is no defense of Garrett at that point and I think most of the homers know it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
His offenses are typically very efficient. That won't change if everybody is healthy so there'll be no need for excuses.

It's the defense that struggles because we've lacked playmakers on defense. When that changes, fan sentiment re Jason Garrett will change again and we'll be back to considering him an NFL head coach of the year candidate like we did in 2014.

Sorry Idgit, but it doesn't take 6 freaking years to build a defense. As head coach he is responsible for that side of the ball as well.

And if the Boyz miss the playoffs this year, that will make it 5 non-playoff seasons and just 1 playoff season. That is what we call an outlier my friend. At this point it is looking like 2014 was just a massive fluke season. And it is not like we are going 10-6 or 11-5 and missing the playoffs, we are talking about just one single season with more than 8 wins!!! That's right, just one season above 500 over a 5 year span. If 2016 continues this pattern, you are talking about just one season over 500 over a 6 year span.........that would be unheard of in modern NFL history for a current head coach to have that pathetic of a coaching record.

Bottom Line.........If Garrett does not get this team into the playoffs this year, he deserves to be fired in all honesty. 1 playoff appearance in 6 complete seasons gets you fired with every other NFL team. Name me one current NFL head coach that has missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons and still has his job.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry Idgit, but it doesn't take 6 freaking years to build a defense. As head coach he is responsible for that side of the ball as well.

And if the Boyz miss the playoffs this year, that will make it 5 non-playoff seasons and just 1 playoff season. That is what we call an outlier my friend. At this point it is looking like 2014 was just a massive fluke season. And it is not like we are going 10-6 or 11-5 and missing the playoffs, we are talking about just one single season with more than 8 wins!!! That's right, just one season above 500 over a 5 year span. If 2016 continues this pattern, you are talking about just one season over 500 over a 6 year span.........that would be unheard of in modern NFL history for a current head coach to have that pathetic of a coaching record.

Bottom Line.........If Garrett does not get this team into the playoffs this year, he deserves to be fired in all honesty. 1 playoff appearance in 6 complete seasons gets you fired with every other NFL team. Name me one current NFL head coach that has missed the playoffs 5 out of the last 6 seasons and still has his job.

We rebuilt more than a defense in that time. And some of those 8-8s weren't bad records for the makeup a of some of those teams.

It hasn't been 6 years of failure. It's been 6 years of failing to meet fan expectations. Those two things are not the same.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We rebuilt more than a defense in that time. And some of those 8-8s weren't bad records for the makeup a of some of those teams.

It hasn't been 6 years of failure. It's been 6 years of failing to meet fan expectations. Those two things are not the same.

Failing to win more than 8 games a season may be ok with your standards, but its not ok with mine.

I expect more than one season over .500 over a 6 year period from my head coach, but maybe that is just me.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Failing to win more than 8 games a season may be ok with your standards, but its not ok with mine.

I expect more than one season over .500 over a 6 year period from my head coach, but maybe that is just me.

That's fine. What I want is a winning organization. But I understand that that 2010 team was bad. It'd be nice to expect a Superbowl and chalk it up to standards, but that's not really how it works.

2015 was incredibly disappointing with a good team. I'll grant you that.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That's fine. What I want is a winning organization. But I understand that that 2010 team was bad. It'd be nice to expect a Superbowl and chalk it up to standards, but that's not really how it works.

2015 was incredibly disappointing with a good team. I'll grant you that.
Expecting a Superbowl?

What the hell are you talking about Idgit?

We are talking about Garrett breaking the .500 mark just one single time. We are so far from talking SuperBowl it is not even funny.

So just expecting a head coach to break .500 more than one time over half a decade is unreasonable? This is what you are seriously trying to argue now, that just breaking .500 is an unrealistic fan expectation?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Expecting a Superbowl?

What the hell are you talking about Idgit?

We are talking about Garrett breaking the .500 mark just one single time. We are so far from talking SuperBowl it is not even funny.

So just expecting a head coach to break .500 more than one time over half a decade is unreasonable? This is what you are seriously trying to argue now, that just breaking .500 is an unrealistic fan expectation?

He broke .500 in 2010 and in 2014 then.

But I do think those 2010-2012 teams were a case of trying to repair the wings of a plane mid-flight, yes.

And I do see plenty of evidence that the organization, players, and coaches all think really highly of Jason. It's just some of the fans who don't agree. But then the fans don't like anything.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You could really see Garrett take it to the next level as a head coach last season as he rallied the team together after Romo went down. Going 1-11 without Romo was a really impressive coaching job.:cool:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He broke .500 in 2010 and in 2014 then.

But I do think those 2010-2012 teams were a case of trying to repair the wings of a plane mid-flight, yes.

And I do see plenty of evidence that the organization, players, and coaches all think really highly of Jason. It's just some of the fans who don't agree. But then the fans don't like anything.

This is what you call a results oriented business Idgit, it doesn't really matter how highly Jason is thought of if he cant break .500 more than one time over a 16 game season.

And expecting to win more than 8 games is not "the fans don't like anything", that is nothing more than you trying to sugar coat a piss poor coaching record. So yea, I guess you can call me unreasonable since I expect more than one complete season over .500 when we are talking about half a decade worth of coaching experience...........obviously you are cool with that so we just have different standards and leave it at that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what you call a results oriented business Idgit, it doesn't really matter how highly Jason is thought of if he cant break .500 more than one time over a 16 game season.

And expecting to win more than 8 games is not "the fans don't like anything", that is nothing more than you trying to sugar coat a piss poor coaching record. So yea, I guess you can call me unreasonable since I expect more than one complete season over .500 when we are talking about half a decade worth of coaching experience...........obviously you are cool with that so we just have different standards and leave it at that.

I'm always saying there are lots of ways to lose games in the NFL. Many of them are in the hands of a coach. But not all of them. What I see happening in Dallas was a bad team getting rebuilt under a tight cap and an unexpectedly tight new-CBA season into a winning team with structure. Then that team got badly derailed last season.

Jason did have the best won-loss record of his NFCE competition last I checked. His record has not been piss-poor.

We can leave it that we disagree if you like. It's not an issue of standards, because you and I want the same thing. We disagree on how to get there. You think the problems are with coaching. I think they lie elsewhere.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Eh. It's always "look at how such and such a great coach sucked for so long too. Hey, this guy sucking may just turn it around like he did to [but failing to mention how rare it is] instead of continuing to suck."