Twitter: Stephen Jones offered D.Lawrence 1year 10M

Brax

Reaction score
Jerry would have caved for another one of his guys (Gregory) if Stephen didn't torpedo it.

As much as I don't like the Joneses and believe we are in horrible hands after Jerry, at least Stephen ruined that Gregory deal.
I don't care for Stevie but Jerry is the team destroyer it's really sad when Stevie is the voice of reason in the room but when looking back at other contracts Jerry is the reason they are saddled with contracts like Zeke, Dlaw, Jaylon and Dak, Jerry still thinks he has a championship roster with his guys and his belief he is a super football guy just feeds is ego and it's not stopping while he's above ground.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I am hoping the grandson takes over in 5 years.

Jerry hasn't won crapin a quarter century. His son appears to be a cheapskate, negotiating boob.

Bring on John Stephen.
Would you rather different ownership took over instead of a Jones? I'm kind of over them.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I bet lil Stevie thought the move would make the zone squeal with delight. Little does he know that any move made will be mocked. I hope he learns the lesson.

Brax

Reaction score
Stephen is a cheapskate and will be problem. Jerry is good getting deals.
Jerry's deals have worked out so well the last 26 seasons that's why he has all those participation trophies. Jerry sucks and there is no way around it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
"I got a family to raise"...

Dude, shut the heck up with that. Anyone that that can't "raise a family" on 10M/year is doing it wrong.

Plus, money has nothing to do with raising a family. Raising and supporting are not the same thing.

I despise Lawrence. They should have let him walk. I'd rather have players who want to win above all else.
Your correct hypothetically. But Lawrence is right 2..all tho Hes a bit delusional. The market dictates that he was offered a better deal. I get it. Glad both sides found a middle ground. Hes actually 1 of our best run stuffers. WHEN HEALTHY.

Majic

Reaction score
Quite simply this is not how you run a team.

Jerry and Stephen should be on the same page.

Now we have overpaid for D Law. Crazy!

Sydla

Reaction score
Would you rather different ownership took over instead of a Jones? I'm kind of over them.

What I'd want in order:

- The Jones decide they want to all live on the yacht and cash in their multi-billion dollar investment in the Cowboys.

- Jerry, on his death bed, has an epiphany and makes Stephen hire a real GM.

- John Stephen has his father committed to an old person's home after Jerry passes and takes over.

lostar2009

Reaction score
You are absolutely wrong. RG got $14 and he's never had double digit sacks.

The rest of the leauge doesn't look at a stat sheet to evaluate a player like the know-it-alls here. They watch actual tape & Lawrence is a really good player.

I never said RG got 14M. I only justified him getting a new contract. But no team but the Cowboys will invest real money into DLaw. The dude is always injuried we both know in the NFL that will noy fly. He will get a nice salary but his guarantee will be extremely low. Only one team from my knowledge show real interesest in RG and that was the Bronocs. If anything we doing too much for these players as this team isnt getting anything in return. Im sorry man three years without double digit sacks does not give you access to big money in my book. Dude is a fading talent.

kevm3

Reaction score
"I got a family to raise"...

Dude, shut the heck up with that. Anyone that that can't "raise a family" on 10M/year is doing it wrong.

Plus, money has nothing to do with raising a family. Raising and supporting are not the same thing.

I despise Lawrence. They should have let him walk. I'd rather have players who want to win above all else.

You're not going to find many players then. Players aren't accepting significantly less money to come here 'to win' because the Cowboys aren't a winning organization. Players also are not going to accept significantly less period. Asking Lawrence to accept a one year deal that is less than what he'd get per year on a multi year deal is very disrespectful.

Stephen Jones must have run other family businesses and thinks he's dealing with employees on the level of fast food or retail who don't really have many other options and he can try to bully and disrespect... but he's dealing with players who are fielding multiple offers and easily have the ability to walk away.

Stephen keeps trying to play hardball with these players and they feel disrespected during the interview process and end up ramping up the contract and the Cowboys have to end up paying record money or having the player walk.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't care for Stevie but Jerry is the team destroyer it's really sad when Stevie is the voice of reason in the room but when looking back at other contracts Jerry is the reason they are saddled with contracts like Zeke, Dlaw, Jaylon and Dak, Jerry still thinks he has a championship roster with his guys and his belief he is a super football guy just feeds is ego and it's not stopping while he's above ground.

Stephen is the reason we're saddled with Dak's massive contract. We could have signed Dak for much cheaper, but he kept franchising Dak. With the kind of moves Stephen is making, he's eroding good will from the players and soon they will avoid taking any kind of discount and start demanding massive money to stay around. The Cowboys are not a winning franchise these days and when you start lowballing players, you're putting them in a situation to where they will return the favor by ramping up the costs.

chicago JK

Reaction score
So junior inherited all the bonehead player evaluation and football ineptness from his daddy without the flair and personality that people really like. Sounds great. I am sure the next 40 years will be great.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I never said RG got 14M. I only justified him getting a new contract. But no team but the Cowboys will invest real money into DLaw. The dude is always injuried we both know in the NFL that will noy fly. He will get a nice salary but his guarantee will be extremely low. Only one team from my knowledge show real interesest in RG and that was the Bronocs. If anything we doing too much for these players as this team isnt getting anything in return. Im sorry man three years without double digit sacks does not give you access to big money in my book. Dude is a fading talent.

Lol, bro just say you don't know anything about the free agent market. You don't need to write all these words to show us.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not a DLAW fan since that season he held the team over a barrel refusing to get a shoulder surgery in the off season until he got his contract........thus delaying his return. We should have let him walk at that point. But Jerry jumped in to "save the day" and made him one of the highest paid defensive players in the NFL.......... DLAW then promptly had his shoulder surgery, and he hasn't been the same caliber of player since.

Stephen's offer was probably the league's going rate on the guy and commiserate with his production since 2018. But, Jerry saved the day again.:facepalm:

Last edited:

SackMaster

Reaction score
I know I'm an a-hole, but I'm on Stephen's side on this one.

Lawrence plays MUCH better on an expiring contract than when he is on a multi-year deal. So I FULLY understand the 1 year offer.

If Lawrence doesn't want to be "disrespected", play like you are on a contract year EVERY year.

JMHO

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Your correct hypothetically. But Lawrence is right 2..all tho Hes a bit delusional. The market dictates that he was offered a better deal. I get it. Glad both sides found a middle ground. Hes actually 1 of our best run stuffers. WHEN HEALTHY.
Run defenders aren't hard to find. He got piad to get to the QB, something he hasn't done since his contract year.