Stephen Jones on Dak's contract

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No matter what happens, it will be an issue with the cap. Unless written with a trade clause and a team friendly deal for any team. Meaning the last few years with minimal cap hit. Whatever that may be for a QB at the time.
However Dak will probably never go for a deal like that. As he knows his limitations...or does he....

As Dirty Harry / Clint Eastwood once said ... a man has to know his limitations ....

Right now I am not for or against an extension, as I posted, I was will see how the season unfolds.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys have zero leverage in negotiations with Dak. They gave away the possibility of a trade or a franchise tag so basically it means cutting him for nothing, or signing him to whatever amount he wants. I think we all know which direction the Jones boys will go. In the meantime, Dak is holding all the cards. He knows he is going to get richer even if the Cowboys do not re-sign him. He also knows all the Cowboys have as a backup is Trey Lance.

The Cowboys have only 1 barely significant play. They can give Trey Lance some opportunities and if he shows he can lead this team then the Cowboys will have a small bit of leverage. But the chances of that happening as slim to none.

CCBoy

Reaction score
When at war, one doesn't intelligently just quit.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Dak has now made more than enough money to live like a King for the rest of his life. Brady did take less than market value but not THAT MUCH LESS.
Dak should do the same. For those that claim you can never have enough money kiss my foot.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sounds about right. Lower that $60M cap hit. Should still draft a QB if there's someone we like.

Just prolonging the agony.

If this season ends up as being another dud, the Cowboys need to move from him and McCarthy. But they won't. Both will likely be back. Which of course would be a mistake but Jerry and Stephen are really adept at constantly driving this bus into a ditch.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Way too much recency bias with those statements. Two and a half weeks ago we were all ready to start lance.

He has to prove it this year. He has to lead us to an nfc title game at the very least. He has to show he can play against the 49ers and eagles. If not he doesn’t deserve to be extended.

Stephen and Jerry are saying the right things yes. But I’d have to believe that’s how they feel as well. Jerry ain’t getting any younger. If dak can’t make a run this year he isn’t going to.
Yeah, Dak has to win the games all by himself. Dak has to block for himself, run for himself while catching a pass thrown to himself, then score all by himself. Then he has to play Defense as well and stop the opponent from scoring all by himself.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If they extend this loser, I am done with this team....done. After almost 50 years a fan....done....can't take this **** anymore. It's just not fun anymore.
When walking a road, at least try to make it. Nothing has declined beyond the path of purely negative source of observation. You either believe in sport and water those roots...especially where the is ONLY one of 32 teams is a winner. Get realisticly once again...this is our National sport now, with built in momentems. You calling them losers...you've already quit then.

Every single team and it's fans want to share their own glory. I'm 75 and a Cowboys fan since their start. I support them and see all, both good and bad. I have a characteristic even after 50 years of government and that is loyalty. I don't need or have to adjust for my own sight and goal...good football.

This is year 3 of 12 win seasons...if that is being losers, naw man, that is you now by choiced instead of watching. You accumulate blame. Again, that is your calling the view you focus upon.

The Lord allowed me to survive 23 years of military service...his reason. If this statement gets me banned...I'll never return now! I'm in a real world, thank you.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I pray and hope Dak gets extended. Would love to see all who are saying they would be done with the team actually disappear for good. I have a feeling they will pull a Pappy, be gone for 2 months, then reappear while acting as if they never said they would be gone for good. lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, Dak has to win the games all by himself. Dak has to block for himself, run for himself while catching a pass thrown to himself, then score all by himself. Then he has to play Defense as well and stop the opponent from scoring all by himself.
I get it but you can't ignore the reality that things he can control, his own play, hasn't been great at times, especially in big games. It just hasn't.

So when people argue like you are arguing, it's hard to take it seriously because it just reads as "When we win Dak is great deserves the credit, when we lose, don't dare blame Dak, it was everyone else's fault"..................

The fact remains, if this season goes off the rails like the ones before it where we don't make the playoffs or we get bounced early again, the Cowboys would be wise ot move from both the QB and HC. But they won't. Because Jerry and Stephen are stubbornly stupid.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're going to, because that's how the contract is set up. There's no easy way out of it. They have 3 options after the season, you pick the one they will most likely do.

1. Release him and take the 61M dead cap next year, or the 61M dead cap over 2 years. Both options suck.
2. Let him play out the last year of his contract and release him. That means he plays at a 59M cap hit for the season, followed by a 36M dead cap.
3. Extend him, push money forward and end cap issues for now.

Which one of those three do you think the Jones boys will take?
LOL.....Keep Dak now will be funny esp when the boos and the garbage at home games will start becoming a regular occurrence.
What have we done with Dak to warrant an extension?
NOTHING!!!!
Dude can't even carry his own offense and we pay him a new 50+ million?
Ya, this time around no way they can excuse keeping the BUM esp for that type of cap dollars.
Dak will be a pre-June 1st 2024 cut with savings of 34 million on the cap and 61 million dead money spread over 2 years.
Why do you think they have carried over 20 million of cap $ and as the cap will be going up not a problem here!
Inepto is NOT holding this team hostage with that idiotic contract he has there are viable realistic outs!

Mr_437

Reaction score
Sounds like they have questions about Dak, to me, because Stephen's tune was a little different during preseason...now he'sfalling back for some reason. Dak is the QB for the rest of the season, and they'll re-evaluate after the season. The Cowboys should approach the situation this way. The worst thing to do is extend QB1.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Eagles have never ever been his problem. He owns them.

Stephen has always said he was gonna sign Dak to his first contract, and he did. And hes saying hes gonna sign him again, and he will.
And the fact that he is performing better than Hurts in the same division with a similar schedule and you could argue less receiver talent means his representation will be asking for more than the Eagles are paying Hurts. And he’ll get it. This notion that he should “return the favor” by signing for $40-$42 million is fantasy. He’s going to cost north of $55 million per season. 18 months from now Jalen Hurts will not be one of the top 10 or 12 QBs in compensation and Dak Prescott will be.

TheCritic

Reaction score
I pray and hope Dak gets extended. Would love to see all who are saying they would be done with the team actually disappear for good. I have a feeling they will pull a Pappy, be gone for 2 months, then reappear while acting as if they never said they would be gone for good. lol
LOL this forum would empty out pretty quick. I can't blame anybody for having feelings of "I'VE HAD IT!!" when it comes to the Dallas Cowboys, but most football fans get stuck on a team and never really quit. And if you look at other teams and their fanbase, you'll see pretty much the same behavior. Actually I'm more offended by Cowboys fans who, like clockwork, fall for the hype of the Joneses and the media that the Cowboys are SB contenders. Why do we fall for it?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
They're going to, because that's how the contract is set up. There's no easy way out of it. They have 3 options after the season, you pick the one they will most likely do.

1. Release him and take the 61M dead cap next year, or the 61M dead cap over 2 years. Both options suck.
2. Let him play out the last year of his contract and release him. That means he plays at a 59M cap hit for the season, followed by a 36M dead cap.
3. Extend him, push money forward and end cap issues for now.

Which one of those three do you think the Jones boys will take?
this its not Pro Dak or Down with Dak its just the facts... moving on from Dak next year will hurt unless its a mutual "We need to part ways so find a trade that works"...Dont think Dak will do a "Discount" he would do a "Friendly restructure" but again thats just kicks the can down the road..moving on from Dak kinda means moving on from others also and a small rebuild..not saying I'm against it but this owner has never shown he is for it...

rambo2

Reaction score
The Cowboys have zero leverage in negotiations with Dak. They gave away the possibility of a trade or a franchise tag so basically it means cutting him for nothing, or signing him to whatever amount he wants. I think we all know which direction the Jones boys will go. In the meantime, Dak is holding all the cards. He knows he is going to get richer even if the Cowboys do not re-sign him. He also knows all the Cowboys have as a backup is Trey Lance.

The Cowboys have only 1 barely significant play. They can give Trey Lance some opportunities and if he shows he can lead this team then the Cowboys will have a small bit of leverage. But the chances of that happening as slim to none.
I think if they don't go to the Super Bowl, they will give Lance a shot next season.

Flamma

Reaction score
LOL.....Keep Dak now will be funny esp when the boos and the garbage at home games will start becoming a regular occurrence.
What have we done with Dak to warrant an extension?
NOTHING!!!!
Dude can't even carry his own offense and we pay him a new 50+ million?
Ya, this time around no way they can excuse keeping the BUM esp for that type of cap dollars.
Dak will be a pre-June 1st 2024 cut with savings of 34 million on the cap and 61 million dead money spread over 2 years.
Why do you think they have carried over 20 million of cap $ and as the cap will be going up not a problem here!
Inepto is NOT holding this team hostage with that idiotic contract he has there are viable realistic outs!
I would not choose option 3. But I don't think they are ready to admit it's not working. Also, don't forget about the 36M in the void years. But I'm not entirely sure how that works.

Last edited: