Twitter: Stephen Jones On Trades

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There are 3 ways to improve the team and Stephen hates doing 2 of them because they have been horrible at them.......Draft- Trade- Free Agents

He has also made some bad Draft picks but he has never considered abandoning the Draft

His thinking is juvenile....... if you made bad trades or signed bad Free Agents in the past then learn from it and do better..... Don't eliminate them forever

I almost think he signed guys like NCarroll and Thornton just so he can say he tried but there are no good picks

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Jerry has been in check too long and the draft is in Dallas. Get ready for a splash. He knows fans are angry too.
Unfortunately, this. I will be upset if its a WR, but I guess I won't be too mad if It's a stud defensive lineman, or LB.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not significantly better that I am giving up what moving from #19 would cost.

My fear all along when it was announced that the Cowboys were getting the draft was that Jerry was going to try to put on a show and make some noise.

I will be more surprised if he stays put at 19. I think he and Stephen and Jason think way more highly of this roster than they should and they probably will convince themselves that there is one guy in the Top 10 that will put them over the top so its worth chucking 2s, some 3s, maybe another 1 at a team to get a Fitzpatrick or worse, Nelson.

Aven8

Reaction score
But that still does not stop fans from screaming "it's a smokescreen!" when either Jerry or Stephen Jones come out and say something.

Normally, if you can figure out what they are saying, they are literally telling everyone what they are going to do.

It's almost like in European Vacation when Clark Griswold is in a England using his translator and Rusty says, dad they are speaking English! Lol

Rayman70

Reaction score
Love Nelson.

But will kill Jerry if he moves up into the Top 6-7 to get him.
I agree because in order to move up that high would kill the team going forward.I'm only going that high for Bradly Chubb or a QB..period.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If they traded up into the Top 10 which would cost us some prime picks to take a total project at WR in Sutton, I might kill Jerry, Stephen and the family dog.

That would be beyond idiotic.
I tend to agree 100%. Only way that works realistically is if we want a QB like Allen or a DE like Chubb in the top 5. Otherwise its stupid because like you said,its gonna cost major picks and we know picks are basically currency in the NFL.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree because in order to move up that high would kill the team going forward.I'm only going that high for Bradly Chubb or a QB..period.

I am not sure this is the QB draft to move up either. I am not sure I like any of them. Maybe Rosen.

Allen is intriguing but I think people are too quick trying to make Wentz comparisons. I am always weary of the college QB with a low completion percentage. Allen was a 56% passer his two full seasons at Wyoming. That's scary.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Would we dare sell the farm and get Barkley? Its a totally crazy question...but hey,what the heck. Are we convinced Zeke's troubles are all behind him? I'm just askin.

conner01

Reaction score
There is no player in this draft I would gut my whole draft for and moving into top 10 guts this draft and hurts next draft
Moving a few spots is doable
My preference would be moving in rnd 2 for a guy like settle

Sydla

Reaction score
Would we dare sell the farm and get Barkley? Its a totally crazy question...but hey,what the heck. Are we convinced Zeke's troubles are all behind him? I'm just askin.

In a world of dumb moves, that would be the positively dumbest the Jones' could make.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am not sure this is the QB draft to move up either. I am not sure I like any of them. Maybe Rosen.

Allen is intriguing but I think people are too quick trying to make Wentz comparisons. I am always weary of the college QB with a low completion percentage. Allen was a 56% passer his two full seasons at Wyoming. That's scary.
Im wavering on the QB class...I'm kinda like you,not impressed by this years class. Darnold looks like a poor mans Kerry Collins with his throwing motion..I hate it. For me,he's a day 2 pick and a project. Rosen reminds me of Goff in every way. Allen is a great unknown. Is he Christian Hackenburg or will he be like a mobile Philip Rivers? Mayfield...I just dunno...I might be ok at 19 taking a chance on him. I just dont want a loose cannon at QB..plus we have Dak. So I'm all over the map on these guys. Not an elite class...its pretty much a crap shoot.

Rayman70

Reaction score
There is no player in this draft I would gut my whole draft for and moving into top 10 guts this draft and hurts next draft
Moving a few spots is doable
My preference would be moving in rnd 2 for a guy like settle
Agree whole heartedly.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In a world of dumb moves, that would be the positively dumbest the Jones' could make.
lol..I know..I'm just posing the question because I do expect JJ to make a big move in this draft.

Rayman70

Reaction score
There are 3 ways to improve the team and Stephen hates doing 2 of them because they have been horrible at them.......Draft- Trade- Free Agents

He has also made some bad Draft picks but he has never considered abandoning the Draft

His thinking is juvenile....... if you made bad trades or signed bad Free Agents in the past then learn from it and do better..... Don't eliminate them forever

I almost think he signed guys like NCarroll and Thornton just so he can say he tried but there are no good picks
Thornton was decent though..but inconsistent.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My fear all along when it was announced that the Cowboys were getting the draft was that Jerry was going to try to put on a show and make some noise.

I will be more surprised if he stays put at 19. I think he and Stephen and Jason think way more highly of this roster than they should and they probably will convince themselves that there is one guy in the Top 10 that will put them over the top so its worth chucking 2s, some 3s, maybe another 1 at a team to get a Fitzpatrick or worse, Nelson.
I think...I FEAR...your right. lets hope we play it smart. We need those picks to solidify the roster and give the new staff some tools to play with. The way he roster is currently constructed is not even close to championship caliber.