Twitter: Stephen Jones On Trades

Sydla

Reaction score
Does that sound like a guy with even the slightest clue of what he's doing?

It's hard to put my finger on why we do what we do. I didn't even realize we've been doing that.

Wait? We haven't made any trades for players? Crap, didn't even realize it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Why? I haven't heard of any off field problems w/ Mayfield. Why do you think he'll be out of the league?
Not sure why folks have this faux belief that this kid is of the Manziel ilk off the field. I would compare him more so to Brett Favre OFF the field...can be a loose cannon,but one helluva great leader and teammate. Not saying he's as talented,but he has natural leadership abilities and his confidence is off the charts. He DOES have a gunslinger mentality like Favre. Manziel was just a moron off the field. The 2 players are like night and day.

DiResta

Reaction score
Stephen says some cryptic **** about hmm really no trades huh
and immediately gets condemned for giving away the secret draft strategy
or
people assume it means they plan to move into the top 5 from 19 to make a splash which of course would cost next years 1st pick btw

seems reasonable

Rayman70

Reaction score
I caught someone talking draft from NFL Network on the local radio and one issue he brought up was some teams have questions about his "mental toughness" when things go bad for him. They pointed to the fact that he won throughout high school, went to Texas Tech and then bailed on them when he knew he couldn't win to go to Oklahoma.

There are also questions about how he went about transferring out of TT and accused TT of things they claim were not true.

Note, I am not saying I buy any of this, just listing some possible things.
Jeesh...if we held every young man accountable for some of the nonsense they do and say while in High school etc...we wouldnt be able to hold a draft at all. I chalk that story up to him just being a young dude finding his way in life and like we all do,make mistakes along the way. Its a nothing burger for me if I'm drafting him. Has no reflection on the man he has become now...in fact his mistakes prolly made him even better as a person and QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea why he left TT. However, the kid seems to be a gamer and a strong competitior.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Much cheaper to move up in second
I would LOVE it if we drafted the Rhode Island QB Kyle Lauletta. He has some Tony Romo to him and I believe he can start one day in this league. He's a little raw but has huge upside, I would roll the dice on him as early as round 2 or 3. I wouldnt be afraid at all.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I fully expect us to make some trade noise on draft night, I could see us going up into the top-10.

You know that EVERY year there are people that say they think this is the year they make some trades. That as automatic as the NFL on Sundays.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jeesh...if we held every young man accountable for some of the nonsense they do and say while in High school etc...we wouldnt be able to hold a draft at all. I chalk that story up to him just being a young dude finding his way in life and like we all do,make mistakes along the way. Its a nothing burger for me if I'm drafting him. Has no refection on the man he has become now...in fact his mistakes prolly made him even better as a person and QB.

Its more than that if you follow the story. He and his father claimed that he only went to OU because TT didn't guarantee him a scholarship when in fact, TT had told him he was getting a scholarship in the spring. So there's questions about how honest he was about his transfer, etc.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Stephen says some cryptic **** about hmm really no trades huh
and immediately gets condemned for giving away the secret draft strategy
or
people assume it means they plan to move into the top 5 from 19 to make a splash which of course would cost next years 1st pick btw

seems reasonable
Nothing cryptic about it.

He acknowledged they trade in the draft, but ya know, he never really thought about those player trades.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
And you know they're going to want to make some noise with it being local.

The draft being in Dallas will have ZERO effect on what their drafting turns out to be.They will already get more than the normal talking they get just because the draft is in Dallas. They won't need to make any moves just to spur on discussions about the Cowboys.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its more than that if you follow the story. He and his father claimed that he only went to OU because TT didn't guarantee him a scholarship when in fact, TT had told him he was getting a scholarship in the spring. So there's questions about how honest he was about his transfer, etc.
Even so..why does that matter? IMO...He prolly was less han honest in that instance and yes,while thats not a good thing,I dont think that should be held against him.I'm sure it doesnt define the man he is now as we speak. Big deal...he messed up,but came out smelling like a rose in the end at OU..played very well. He deserves the benefit of he doubt until he proves otherwise..ie like a pattern of questionable antics OFF THE FIELD.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would LOVE it if we drafted the Rhode Island QB Kyle Lauletta. He has some Tony Romo to him and I believe he can start one day in this league. He's a little raw but has huge upside, I would roll the dice on him as early as round 2 or 3. I wouldnt be afraid at all.
Even if he never starts, dude is cerebral and should make a good backup. Has some stuff to correct, but who doesn't!!!

Alexander

Reaction score
The draft being in Dallas will have ZERO effect on what their drafting turns out to be.They will already get more than the normal talking they get just because the draft is in Dallas. They won't need to make any moves just to spur on discussions about the Cowboys.
You would like to think they could just be cool about it, but that is not in our nature.

It is a stage for the brand. They will be itching to use it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Maybe,MAYBE NOT...we won't ever know.

GORICO

Reaction score
I fully expect us to make some trade noise on draft night, I could see us going up into the top-10.
mr Section--if we do something like that i hope its for Derwin James and not for the Notre dame tackle

Alexander

Reaction score
every thought from this front office is based on spinning the question
Sorry, we are not that clever to spin to deflect.

Half the time what looks like deflection is actually them struggling to answer the questions relating to running a football team.