Twitter: Stephen Jones paying quarterbacks too much ‘decreases your chances to win’

John813

Reaction score
And I think that's why the Cowboys want a longer deal for Dak, you can strategically spread the money out better with more years.

Thats what the rams and Philly got away with in their deals. Yes, 4 year extensions but on top of the 5th year option. So, they could spread it over 5 years.

817Gill

Reaction score
Zeke got his money up front in real cash and the Cowboys got their low cap hits up front. Win win.

Still don't like it from a team perspective for his drastic approach for the new deal but I got it from his side.
Some type of compromise like that is what we need out of this Dak situation. I’ve read that his agent wants to win all aspects of this deal, and JJ isn’t the type to be strongarmed like that.

Section446

Reaction score
Thats what the rams and Philly got away with in their deals. Yes, 4 year extensions but on top of the 5th year option. So, they could spread it over 5 years.
It just makes sense to me, especially if you're going to have a deal as big as Dak is likely to get.

817Gill

Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't think you can buckle when you're dealing with a QB who MIGHT (I said MIGHT) be asking for as much as $40 million a year. I don't care if you're talking about Drew Brees or Dak Prescott, that's just too much of the cap to commit to one position, unless you have a VERY long-term deal in place and you can manipulate the annual pay.
Yeah I’m operating under the assumption that the $ is more or less agreed on, just an issue in the years in terms of extrapolating the amount to 4 vs 5 years.

Section446

Reaction score
Some type of compromise like that is what we need out of this Dak situation. I’ve read that his agent wants to win all aspects of this deal, and JJ isn’t the type to be strongarmed like that.
And honestly, I don't blame Dak for any of this, other than the fact that he hired his agent. He absolutely should be going after the shorter number of years, he should be going for as much money as he can possibly get. I just hope that we make our ultimate decision with the long-term effects in mind, Dak isn't a guy that we can surround with average talent, we need the cap space to make moves to give him elite talent.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Stephen “at the end of the day” Jones.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Watching Dak slobberers look stupider and stupider as time goes on has been the funniest thing about the whole affair. One week Stephen says the deal will get done, then next week that Dak has to “accept what we want to pay him”. Dak slobberers on suicide watch.
And of course next week Jerry or Stephen will be back with more confident statements and the nimrods will be falling over themselves believing it again.

Qcard

Reaction score
Yes, but every player understands that it is team-biased because there is a salary cap. Their contract has to be worked within the structure or it greatly diminishes the ability of the team to build a roster. That doesn't mean the player and his agents don't try to get as big a slice of the pie as possible, but they know they have to do it in a way that makes sense for the team.

Right now, both sides are in the heavy negotiation stage, with Dak's team asking for more than is cap reasonable and Dallas offering a deal that is less in some way(s) than what they will eventually settle on. Both sides hope the other will bite before negotiating up, but leaves itself room for concessions. This is why I'm not concerned about the negotiations at this point. When we get closer to the deadline to strike a deal, both sides will alter their demands and likely come to an agreement. Fans and the media are the only ones handwringing over a deal not being reached yet. This is just typical negotiations, especially for the Joneses. We can look to last year to see that, when the Joneses didn't reach a deal with Lawrence until they had to in order for him to get surgery in time to be ready for the season.

Now, some might bring up the Elliott ordeal since he held out, but Elliott was a different issue because he was under contract and wanted to have his deal redone with two years remaining on it. Generally, you don't want to do that as a team because it sets a bad precedent. However, Dallas was in good position to go ahead and get that deal out of the way, especially because it's a running back since their prime is usually shorter than other positions. Now, when the team gets to 2023, if Elliott's play has slipped, Dallas can move on and save cap dollars instead of a taking a hit for it if they had waited to re-sign him this year or next year. (Yes, they absorb $6.7 million in dead cap money, but save $8.3 million because his cap hit is $15 million.) That's one reason I don't see Dallas restructuring Elliott's deal. The Cowboys can if they have to, but they would be pushing money further back in a contract for a position with a short overall career.
Excellent post!

Qcard

Reaction score
Watching Dak slobberers look stupider and stupider as time goes on has been the funniest thing about the whole affair. One week Stephen says the deal will get done, then next week that Dak has to “accept what we want to pay him”. Dak slobberers on suicide watch.
And of course next week Jerry or Stephen will be back with more confident statements and the nimrods will be falling over themselves believing it again.
Watching Dak Haters continue to wallow in stupidity since 2016 in so awesome...

Today, Dak commands an $31M exclusive Franchise Tag at a stroke of a pen.

Why commit suicide when your Hater's can be vanquished with the stroke of a pen?

Somehow the football made the pen mightier than the sword.....

The Chickens are coming home to Roost

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Are the Cowboys serious about getting the best support available for Dak?
If so, they might be forced to stick to the franchise tag. We will see! :omg:

Last edited:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

This makes sense.

And before folks say, “shouldve paid him last year!”, do you remember how terrible he looked for half that season?

1. Dak probably wouldnt have accepted what they were offering then

2. Cowboys would be foolish to offer top 5 money to a QB that was outright horrible for at least 16 out of his last 32 games

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Are the Cowboys serious about getting the best support available for Dak?
If so, they might be forced to stick to the franchise tag. We will see! :omg:
I don’t think Stephen can be any clearer. In addition to outright talking about “analytics” regarding overpaying for QB, listen to his main descriptors for Dak: it factor, competitive, “wants to win”... nary a word about accuracy or ability. Could have been a 30 year old description of Jim McMahon without context. It’s clear Stephen is saying we want Dak here long term but he’s a game manager that we need to keep plenty of money on hand so we can keep him propped up.

jlust22

Reaction score
What if the salary cap actually goes down in the future. There’s so much uncertainty about the upcoming season and best case scenario may be a season without fans. That would cause a massive hit in league revenues and the cap to go backward. They might have to come up with a smoothing process so the cap wouldn’t take a massive hit in one year but signing the richest contract in NFL history (on average) seems way more risky now than its ever been due to the ongoing pandemic. Ordinarily you know the cap will always rise year to year but for the first time ever, I don’t know that you can guarantee that.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Right up there with the Gurley contact. You know, the guy that just got cut two years after his deal?

Watch the NFL much do ya?

Injuries happen. It is part of the game.

It would also be a dumb reason not to sign a player to a contract - particularly one who has never missed time with an injury.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He has never been 15M a year. He won’t be until 2022, which is the same year we can cut him. The team won that deal. He had an 8M hit last year, 10M this year, and 12M next year. His contract hasn’t prohibited us from making any FA moves we would’ve other wise made. We have over 10M in cap and once Dak signs it’ll be upwards of 15M. His contract hasn’t hindered us at all up to this point.

Also CMac just signed and you got Kamara, Cook, and Barkley coming up. Zeke will be the 6th highest back in no time.

His contract hasn't started yet. When it does he has 50 million guaranteed. Paying any RB that kind of money is ridiculous.

How can you say it hasn't hindered anything or wont? That's just naïve. RB position is where you save money, not blow it. Football 101. And especially not on a guy like Zeke.

zerofill

Reaction score
I don’t think Stephen can be any clearer. In addition to outright talking about “analytics” regarding overpaying for QB, listen to his main descriptors for Dak: it factor, competitive, “wants to win”... nary a word about accuracy or ability. Could have been a 30 year old description of Jim McMahon without context. It’s clear Stephen is saying we want Dak here long term but he’s a game manager that we need to keep plenty of money on hand so we can keep him propped up.

When anyone is asked what they think of Dak it is... leadership, does the right things, liked in the locker room, blah blah blah.... NO ONE ever says football I.Q., accuracy, or anything play related... lol.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Injuries happen. It is part of the game.

It would also be a dumb reason not to sign a player to a contract - particularly one who has never missed time with an injury.

You mean some drunken immature dope that gets suspended and is one drunken night away from another one? The guy that held out in Cabo 2 years before his contract was up? Team leader guy? LOL