Twitter: Stephen Jones paying quarterbacks too much ‘decreases your chances to win’

starcity214

Reaction score
Analytics??!!

Big Mike, is that you trying to make the Jones boys understand that there's a salary cap?

Maybe you're not as dumb as Rodgers made you out to be..

Maybe there is still hope..

bsbellomy

Reaction score
LOL...…..nobody needs analytics for that.

What are the analytics for making your RB the highest paid back in the NFL?

I don't understand this argument but ive seen or several times. Simple logic tells me if you pay a bunch of guys money that are not QB big money then the is not as much money for the QB.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You mean some drunken immature dope that gets suspended and is one drunken night away from another one? The guy that held out in Cabo 2 years before his contract was up? Team leader guy? LOL

And how much you gotta pay a guy who is suspended?

Players have every right to hold out for a better deal. That is their leverage. Only the uninformed would suggest that a player shouldn't use that leverage.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I don’t think Stephen can be any clearer. In addition to outright talking about “analytics” regarding overpaying for QB, listen to his main descriptors for Dak: it factor, competitive, “wants to win”... nary a word about accuracy or ability. Could have been a 30 year old description of Jim McMahon without context. It’s clear Stephen is saying we want Dak here long term but he’s a game manager that we need to keep plenty of money on hand so we can keep him propped up.
Holy crap a Jim McMahon reference! Awesome!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Using key metrics from PFF’s QB Annual, the analytics show that Prescott was substantially better than Carson Wentz from a clean pocket, produced more positively graded plays, avoided negative plays, was on target more often, had a better adjusted completion percentage and was more efficient on third down.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Good on him. I agree with Stephen. I want Dak on this team but if he doesn’t budge and come down on his price, re-sign Andy Dalton & draft a QB in Round 1 next year and be done with it. This offense is too talented, another QB will succeed behind Center.

With that said, where was this like of thinking when they made Zeke the highest paid RB in league history.. :rolleyes:

I guess the line of thinking is Zeke is much less replaceable and more integral to what we want to do on offense. Also there are significant ripcords in Zekes deal and maybe Dak isn't open to that.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Watching Dak Haters continue to wallow in stupidity since 2016 in so awesome...

Today, Dak commands an $31M exclusive Franchise Tag at a stroke of a pen.

Why commit suicide when your Hater's can be vanquished with the stroke of a pen?

Somehow the football made the pen mightier than the sword.....

The Chickens are coming home to Roost

Both sides act ridiculous.

starcity214

Reaction score
Using key metrics from PFF’s QB Annual, the analytics show that Prescott was substantially better than Carson Wentz from a clean pocket, produced more positively graded plays, avoided negative plays, was on target more often, had a better adjusted completion percentage and was more efficient on third down.

That Lurie guy must not have ever heard of Analytics.

I don't remember Lurie telling Wentz to take a team friendly deal.. ever.

Why didn't the Jones make Romo take a team friendly deal?

If you're smart, you can read between the lines and see what the front office really thinks of Dak.

The rest is just lip service..

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Again, I am sure that Dak Prescott has no problem signing the Jones' 5 year deal so that they can spread out the money over an extra year like the Rams and Eagles were able to...if the Jones agree to pay Dak Prescott $26 million more that Wentz/Goff made over the course of his first 4 years that Dak didn't.

You want all the benefits of the first round structure....fine. Pay Dak like a first round player. You can spread the extra 26 million dollars, guaranteed of course, over the new 5 year contract.

I think Dak and his team would go for that.

Otherwise, stop asking Dak to be locked into a 5 year deal when NO QB (starting or otherwise) is signing more than 4 year deals: Brady, Bridgewater, Rivers, Tannehill, Cousins, Wentz, Goff, Brees, etc.

starcity214

Reaction score
His contract hasn't started yet. When it does he has 50 million guaranteed. Paying any RB that kind of money is ridiculous.

How can you say it hasn't hindered anything or wont? That's just naïve. RB position is where you save money, not blow it. Football 101. And especially not on a guy like Zeke.

Do you honestly think Dak can do anything without Zeke?

People seem to forget how bad Dak looked without Zeke in 2017..

Opposing teams have openly came out and said that their number one priority when facing the Cowboys is stoping Zeke..

Not Dak, Zeke.

See how many games Dak has "won" when Zeke doesn't rush for more than 100 yards in a game.

If teams focus on Zeke, by default, the passing lanes will open up.

Do some of you guys even understand basic football concepts?

You might say that any RB can have success with our O line but what makes Zeke worth his money is that he's a complete back..

Pollard may be a little bit faster, but run him all game and by the third quarter he'll be worn out.

There's a reason why guys like Marion Barber and Pollard can't be Bell Cows like Zeke.

Not to mention, Zeke can run routes, catch the ball and he's a good blocker also..

You'll need three diffrent RBs just to replace Zeke and what he does and even then, deffences will know exactly what to expect from them just like when Lance Dumbar was in the game.

Zeke is literally a nightmare for defenses and here you are pooping on him SMH

All the while, propping up other mediocre players that live off of Zeke's coat tails..

Crazy stuff.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Translation: Dak is a leader. He has that IT factor … as a bus driver, and we need to build a team around him. Now, say, if he were Patrick Mahomes, we could pay him as the top quarterback because those guys don't require a stacked team to win a Super Bowl. Maybe we could get away with going without top talent at certain positions if we had a Patrick Mahomes. But for Dak, we need to continue to build a team around him to ensure our chances of winning a Super Bowl.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do you honestly think Dak can do anything without Zeke?

People seem to forget how bad Dak looked without Zeke in 2017..

Opposing teams have openly came out and said that their number one priority when facing the Cowboys is stoping Zeke..

Not Dak, Zeke.

See how many games Dak has "won" when Zeke doesn't rush for more than 100 yards in a game.

If teams focus on Zeke, by default, the passing lanes will open up.

Do some of you guys even understand basic football concepts?

You might say that any RB can have success with our O line but what makes Zeke worth his money is that he's a complete back..

Pollard may be a little bit faster, but run him all game and by the third quarter he'll be worn out.

There's a reason why guys like Marion Barber and Pollard can't be Bell Cows like Zeke.

Not to mention, Zeke can run routes, catch the ball and he's a good blocker also..

You'll need three diffrent RBs just to replace Zeke and what he does and even then, deffences will know exactly what to expect from them just like when Lance Dumbar was in the game.

Zeke is literally a nightmare for defenses and here you are pooping on him SMH

All the while, propping up other mediocre players that live off of Zeke's coat tails..

Crazy stuff.

No problem without Zeke. He was basically without Zeke the first half of the year. Dak no longer needs Zeke. Its clear he has come of age and the passing game is now the strength of this team.

2017? Dak's 2nd year in the league and it was more the Oline falling apart than anything else. Dak was 4-3 without Zeke. He's in his 5th year now and is the leader of this offense. This is Daks' team.

Give me Pollard and another good back and Zeke will never be missed.

Zeke is no nightmare at all. When was the last game he actually looked unstoppable? Guy can barely run the ball more than 15 yards.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No problem without Zeke. He was basically without Zeke the first half of the year. Dak no longer needs Zeke. Its clear he has come of age and the passing game is now the strength of this team.

2017? Dak's 2nd year in the league and it was more the Oline falling apart than anything else. Dak was 4-3 without Zeke. He's in his 5th year now and is the leader of this offense. This is Daks' team.

Give me Pollard and another good back and Zeke will never be missed.

Zeke is no nightmare at all. When was the last game he actually looked unstoppable? Guy can barely run the ball more than 15 yards.

If you continue to post these tidbits of insanity I might have to start wearing Depends....:muttley:

giphy.gif

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don’t think Stephen can be any clearer. In addition to outright talking about “analytics” regarding overpaying for QB, listen to his main descriptors for Dak: it factor, competitive, “wants to win”... nary a word about accuracy or ability. Could have been a 30 year old description of Jim McMahon without context. It’s clear Stephen is saying we want Dak here long term but he’s a game manager that we need to keep plenty of money on hand so we can keep him propped up.

The FO's reluctance to sign Dak to the generous contract that they say he's so worthy of certainly leaves doubts about their true sincerity. It's one thing to throw verbal bouquets in his direction, yet another to prove it with an act of generosity to validate their honesty. Both Jerry and Stephen are known to say things that they oftentimes fail to back up. Half truths are their specialty. I'm sure we're basically saying the same things in different terms.

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
That's why I always liked Bill Parcells team building methods. He liked to build up on the defensive side of the ball, get a good RB and put a bus driver at QB.
The entire league and all of the current trends say that’s no longer possible, at least not right now.

three and four WR sets are the norm and 70% of all defensive snaps are now done out of the nickel and a 4-2-5 lineup.

It’s an offense driven league more than at any time in the past.

As much as I loved our old teams when we had Troy and Emmitt running the offense you describe, I just don’t think it could be successful in today’s NFL

Tennessee has some success with it last year and San Francisco had a run hard team but they were outliers

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
The Boys over pay for Lawrence, Elliott and Cooper, Now Jerry and Stephen are learning their math, lol.
You Don't over pay early than suffer the consequences later.
These guys think the salary cap is just a bad rumor.
It’s possible that the three you mentioned are though of more highly at their respective positions than Dak is at his.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Info from this time last year......
Year Name Cap %
1994 Young 13.10%
1995 Aikman 6.70%
1996 Favre 10.20%
1997 Elway 5.20%
1998 Elway 5.00%
1999 Warner 1.30%
2000 Dilfer 1.60%
2001 Brady 0.47%
2002 Johnson 9.60%
2003 Brady 4.40%
2004 Brady 6.30%
2005 Roethlisberger 4.90%
2006 P. Manning 10.40%
2007 E. Manning 9.20%
2008 Roethlisberger 6.80%
2009 Brees 8.30%
2011 E. Manning 11.70%
2012 Flacco 6.60%
2013 Wilson 0.56%
2014 Brady 10.64%
2015 P. Manning 11.66%
2016 Brady 8.62%
2017 Foles 0.91%
Current remaining QBs by cap%:

Team QB Cap %
Saints Brees 13.52%
Colts Luck 12.57%
Chargers Rivers 12.23%
Patriots Brady 12.21%
Eagles Foles 7.65%
Rams Goff 4.20%
Chiefs Mahomes 2.08%

Make of this what you will

Steve Young remains the only QB in the salary cap era to win a SB with a cap percentage of over 13% and he was just barely over it and that's a fact!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The money isn't really agreed upon though. They want the same guarantees but only 4 years, that's probably not going to happen.

There's something about that that rings true. Several months before the contract talks began the FO was bragging about how generous they'd be. Once negotiations commenced, the story changed dramatically. It's foolish to run one's mouth in advance, then fail to live up to it later. I'm all for the FO not overpaying and all but they never should have encouraged the situation that Dak and his agent started later. Poor judgment by our FO. ;)

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There's something about that that rings true. Several months before the contract talks began the FO was bragging about how generous they'd be. Once negotiations commenced, the story changed dramatically. It's foolish to run one's mouth in advance, then fail to live up to it later. I'm all for the FO not overpaying and all but they never should have encouraged the situation that Dak and his agent started later. Poor judgment by our FO. ;)

Part of why they offer so much guaranteed money is to spread it out. Would be interesting if daks team offered a contract with similar aav, less guaranteed over 4 years.